Dual Sport Advice - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Here fishy fishy

Dual Sport Advice

I'm thinking of getting a XR650L. Has anyone owned one? Give me a run down on the problems and/or dislikes. Tell me why this is not a good dual sport bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I've had mine since 02 and havent had any problems with it except that the stock deathWing tires are CRAP. Dunlop D606's fixed that though.

Dan

post #3 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Do it you'll love taking the path that you normally turn around at.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Centurion

I had one, sold it cause it was too tall, heavy, & would you believe given the other two; top heavy off road. Would make a great commuter or leisure trail riding.

I put all kinds of farkles on mine. I like the SRC fork brace

post #5 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Centurion

post #6 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Not too swift

I had one. The weight and 33" seat height made me really leery of the bike in the woods the few times I did take it in. I'm just a hair over 6 feet tall and it still made me really apprehensive of the bike in tight single track. I finally sold it and figured if I ever had a DS bike again, it would be no bigger than a 400CC. After I de-smogged it and rejetted for the White Brothers E2 exhaust, there was a massive difference in power that I would only want on the road. I had my 919 for that soo....

2003 Honda 919, Carbon Sato's, PCIII-USB planned asphalt gray
2007 Majestic Blue NISMO KC, 4x4, 6-speed, Gibson catback, Clarion DUZ385SAT
2007 Trek EX8-Custom parts build by me for me
1992 Nissan 240sx- SR20DET swap, HKS intake, exhaust, and SSQV, VLSD, S14 Silvia JDM seats(super comfy), Exedy clutch
post #7 of 15 Old 08-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Here's my assessment having owned one for several years. It's not a terrible woods bike.....it's got good clearance, travel and power. It can get down and up and through some pretty technical stuff but don't expect to easily keep up with your buddies on smaller bikes, unless you are a very good rider.
Heck, even if you are a good rider, you're gonna work harder. I bought the XR because I wanted something street legal. I also wanted something that woud be a challenge to ride figuring it would be good "cross training" back when I was heavily into track days and road-racing.

I got exactly what I was looking for!!

That being said it's still a pretty good DS bike, that I enjoy riding (read here). But I think you should look hard at some of the more modern options though. The newer (smaller) bikes might not have the HP of the big XR but they are better, more competent off road bikes. The DR's are such great bikes and the new CRF's and KLX's deserve a look.

Here's mine: It's a long way from stock, lots and lots of goodies in the motor but it makes up for it with mushy old brakes and worn out suspension. I can make her dance though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X650L.jpg (283.4 KB, 12 views)

post #8 of 15 Old 08-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

The more woods you want to do, the more you want to look at something lighter. If you're interested more in dirt/paved roads the xr is perfect. It's a proven bulletproof design that's been around forever. Like the other guy said, the tighter the trail gets, the more you will work. Regarding it's tall stance, I'm 6'0 with 34" inseam & 210lbs - it fit me just fine but the 5'9 guy I bought it from had trouble.
I just sold mine and will stick with my ktm520exc which is also street legal but 100 lbs lighter w/superior suspension.

post #9 of 15 Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Not too swift

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDJAM View Post
Here's my assessment having owned one for several years. It's not a terrible woods bike.....it's got good clearance, travel and power. It can get down and up and through some pretty technical stuff but don't expect to easily keep up with your buddies on smaller bikes, unless you are a very good rider.
Heck, even if you are a good rider, you're gonna work harder. I bought the XR because I wanted something street legal. I also wanted something that woud be a challenge to ride figuring it would be good "cross training" back when I was heavily into track days and road-racing.

I got exactly what I was looking for!!

That being said it's still a pretty good DS bike, that I enjoy riding (read here). But I think you should look hard at some of the more modern options though. The newer (smaller) bikes might not have the HP of the big XR but they are better, more competent off road bikes. The DR's are such great bikes and the new CRF's and KLX's deserve a look.

Here's mine: It's a long way from stock, lots and lots of goodies in the motor but it makes up for it with mushy old brakes and worn out suspension. I can make her dance though!
X2-- Well said

1992 Nissan 240sx- SR20DET swap, HKS intake, exhaust, and SSQV, VLSD, S14 Silvia JDM seats(super comfy), Exedy clutch
post #10 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Mine overlooking Kings Canyon form Bucks Rock

post #11 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Not too swift

now that is one kick*ss pic of a 650 thumper!

post #12 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Thanks, thats up at about 8 thousand feet, ran like crap (jetted for sea level) but it still managed to drag the girlfriend and me over about 100 miles of beautiful fire roads in the Sequoias.

Dan

post #13 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

maybe a better pic

Dan

post #14 of 15 Old 08-15-2008, 07:19 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Just how much woods are you loonking at doing ? If its more woods and less interstate, you may also want to check out a DR-Z400 - not as muhc Ummpphh , but, they fly in the woods , they are much easier to move around on and more nimble - Ive got a KLR and a DR-Z400 and if I had the S version of the Dr, Id take it anywhere -
Either way, youll have a boat load of fun ! Enjoy the off road !

post #15 of 15 Old 08-15-2008, 07:36 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Been a while. I had an XL600R. Rode it to Montana, a one way distance of 1200 miles. Did 650 miles in one day. Felt like I had ridden a razor blade. Good bike. I liked it's power, but I think my KLR has a better torque curve. I would own another one. Oh, one thing......it was considerably less stable in a crosswind than my present KLR. I literally got blown off the road coming off of a pass on I 15 in Idaho.

ďIn my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.Ē
General George S. Patton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode