Dirty deeds - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 05-04-2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Dirty deeds

Took the KLR offroad today for a bit of testing and learning how the bike acts in soft sand. It's all premature because it'll have different tires and all new suspension but one thing that'll carry over is its weight bias, and she's certainly not mistakable for my dirtbike.

The front really feels like it wants to wash out in the sugarlike soft sand so the easy answer is ride it like a dirtbike and hit the gas. Unfortunately it's somewhere around 430lbs of dirtbike but it's a learning curve.

I've decided to wear MX boots instead of touring boots and my helmet is wrong so odds are good I'll wear the MX helmet also.

5 more weeks and we'll be leaving for Colorado.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Very jazzed for you and this great trip you're planning. Hope yours is as good as mine was.

As an XR650L (with hybrid tires) backwoods veteran I can tell ya that there ain't no easy way and one techinique does not work everywhere.

Sometimes, like you said, get on the gas and stay on the gas. On an XR, in the really thick stuff, this is combined with the classic knee clench and lean waaaaayyyyyyyy back. Okay, now lean a little further. Get that back end to dig in and whisk you past the nonsense.

Other times when your ground speed is low ya gotta really work the bars and stay light on your feet. Use that KR grunt to pull you outta trouble!!!

The common thread here is that you have to concentrate a whole lot harder than some kid on a KTM, and, unfortunately be prepared to crash. This leads to the next chapter, bike fortification, one you already seem to be familiar with.

Use these last few weeks to keep working out and train as much as possible. A tired rider is an unsafe one!!!!!

post #3 of 8 Old 05-05-2008, 01:34 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I tried twice in recent years and had to admit to myself i'm too damn old and short for them things, I shrunk, dirtbikes 40 years ago were so much easier. Honda almost kinda brought them back this year with the 230 but it's too old tech. Good luck.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-05-2008, 01:40 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

damn did that piss someone off? Blackjack just went over the edge...........

post #5 of 8 Old 05-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

If you haven't decided on tires yet I can HIGHLY recomend the Dunlop D606's
They made the XR650L actually fun to ride in the loose stuff, you can steer the bike with the back wheel in the corners just like a real dirtbike.

Dan

post #6 of 8 Old 05-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Take my 919 for a long ride in the sand with a full load. That should get you prepared.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-05-2008, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
If you haven't decided on tires yet I can HIGHLY recomend the Dunlop D606's
They made the XR650L actually fun to ride in the loose stuff, you can steer the bike with the back wheel in the corners just like a real dirtbike.

Dan
Thanks Dan, have a pair of D606s in the garage just waiting until t-6 days. Am definitely looking forward to using them up.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Don't expect a plush ride on asphault but they do make up for it in the dirt.

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode