Calling DRZ riders/owners! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 11-11-2011, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Calling DRZ riders/owners!

Hey

I've been pondering over the last few months about getting away from street riding and going back to a dirt bike, Originally I planned on selling my VFR and then pick up a dirtbike but I have been stuck between getting a true off road bike or a street and trail bike. I have owned a street and trail bike before (KLR 250) and I must say that I liked it, however now I'd like abit more power then what the 250 offered.

So I put my VFR up for sale and I have a guy who would like to trade his 07 DRZ400, I admit the DRZ was on my short list for dual sport bikes I was gonna look at (that and the XR650L)

I know there are alot of these around, and a huge following for DRZ's, Does anyone here have experience with them? is the power good enough on the street? does the weight get exhausting on a trail? (although compared to the XR650 it's light!) Any major problems with them?

anyone with XR650 experience here?

Thanks,
Chris

04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Tirone

If you've got dual sport riding buddies, then the DRZ 400 S is a great all around bike.

If you plan on riding pavement to a trailhead, then riding with guys on real off road bikes, you're gonna take a beating.

I've got a '00 DRZ 400S I've had for 11 years and it's been a real workhorse, but I also have a '06 KTM 450 for strictly off road.

The KTM EXC's make great dirt worthy dual sporters if you can get them plated, but they'll require a lot more upkeep and $$$ than the DRZ, imo.

RB

post #3 of 16 Old 11-11-2011, 04:23 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Send a ping out to zaq123 on this board for DRZ info.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."

post #4 of 16 Old 11-11-2011, 05:57 AM
Cornicen

I've owned a DR350, the air-cooler cousin of the DRZ400, and I've owned an XR650L. They are COMPLETLY different to me. The Suzuki will do most things fairly well, the XRL is a MONSTER-tall bike. Both are fairly heavy. Both are tough. If you think you'll be in wide-open spaces off-road, the XRL would be best. If you are going to be on more single-track trails...I'd recommend the DRZ over the XRL.

I sold both of those bikes, and replaced them with a KLX250S, bored out to 331, and with suspension upgrades front and rear. It's paired with a KLR650, which I've kept through all the variations of dual-sport bikes I've owned...it is NOT the best bike at anything, but, it CAN do almost everything.

Have you considered the new Husky TE449? There are some really nice bikes out there. Of course, KTM's deserve a look.

It all depends on how much you want to spend, and what you'll actually be using it for. Good luck with your search and decision!

post #5 of 16 Old 11-11-2011, 06:38 AM
Cornicen

I have a DRZ400-E. Its a dirt model that I'm running as a supermoto with 17" rims and sticky Michelins. It's underwhelming on the long straight roads but brilliant fun on our small, tight track and cheap to crash (been there, done that). Pretty bulletproof considering it's an '03 model and simple to maintain even by a mechanical num-num like me. Only change I've made is a brake line upfront. Mine does have a leaky/stuck-up float on the carb and drips if I leave the petcock on while parked. Apparently a common problem on older drz's.

Just to add, in my understanding the E model has different cams and a different carb so its supposed to be quicker than other DRZ models.

post #6 of 16 Old 11-11-2011, 07:16 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Couple dudes ride past my back yard all the time on a pair of SM versions, piped and all. They sound great and these dudes wring the shit out of them. Very good fun.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #7 of 16 Old 11-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Tesserarius

Garage
Supermoto! That's something I would love to have...a DRZ400SM.

post #8 of 16 Old 11-11-2011, 11:39 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Supermoto! That's something I would love to have...a DRZ400SM.
Ain't it the truth!

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #9 of 16 Old 11-12-2011, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Thanks guys, I would mostly be using it for single track trail and the old railway tracks around here, The reason I was interested in a dual sport as I would have to do some driving to get to the trails, so it would be nice not to have to load up a bike every time and I could still use it for going back and forth to work.

Does the HP seem to be enough for most country roads? 50mph etc, I would expect it not to be the best on the highway.

04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
post #10 of 16 Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

After riding with zaq123 I believe the DRZ is plenty for back roads, he can smoke us in the tight stuff.

post #11 of 16 Old 11-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicsoldier View Post
Does the HP seem to be enough for most country roads? 50mph etc, I would expect it not to be the best on the highway.
Oh, sure, it will run 70 mph, even uphill into the wind. 50 is no problem at all. My KLX331 will even run on the highway at 70 uphill and into the wind. It sounds to me like it will fit your riding conditions just fine, provided it fits you well.

post #12 of 16 Old 11-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Cornicen

My drz tops out at abt 75 but i keep it at abt 50-60 only for extended hiway miles. I change out oil a lot sooner after trips with a lot of steady hiway riding. Not good for a single geared for dirt. Or so ive been told.

post #13 of 16 Old 11-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Le So Cal Troll

my buddy has one... the couple of times i have ridden it its a hoot... comming from riding dirtbikes for 12 yrs now and still riding dirt... to be able to ride a dirbike on the street is hella fun. You gotta ride em like a light switch tho... throttle on throttle off... cus there aint much in between haha.

In the real tight stuff... they definitely have the edge... open it up a lil and lack of breaks n power shows.

Maybe look into a KTM 690 SMC ... another buddy has one, great power great suspension and breaks.

post #14 of 16 Old 11-15-2011, 05:19 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

get DRZ, cheap reliable and maintenance is nothing compared to other thumpers like KTM or husqvarna. I'm not going even mention about availability of parts.

Stock they are definitely like a light switch. But it doesn't take much to bring her to life: properly jetted fcr39 carb, better pipe, front brakes and maybe big bore is all you should need.

this DRZ has fcr39 with Yoshi and I can ride her 80-90mph all day long. All I wish that her frame was aluminum

post #15 of 16 Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

This is my 2008 400s, to me there is no such thing as "dualsport" it's one or the other....I love both

image-555439241.jpg

:buell:
post #16 of 16 Old 04-19-2012, 05:49 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

I wish it would stop raining so I could mow my lawn....oh yeh and ride too! :-)

:buell:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode