BMW GS - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 04-17-2008, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

BMW GS

I was at the new local honda dealership tonight and they have a really nice BMW GS. It is an 05 1200, and has about 12k miles on it. It looks brand new, and they want 10,500 for it. I don't know jack about BMW's, anyone care to educate me?

Any known problems, issues etc. I doubt I'll pick this up as the garage is full right now, and I have other crap to do. I can see myself owning something like this in the future though. I'm going to try and get a test ride on it next week.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

wire or cast wheels?
ABS & heated grips?
panniers? topcase?

post #3 of 18 Old 04-17-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
wire or cast wheels?
ABS & heated grips?
panniers? topcase?
wire wheels.
Don't know about abs/grip heaters
No luggage.

I didn't look at it too much. The salesman was really trying, and my wife wasn't helping at all. She kept telling me to buy it??? Sometimes I wish she would be like most women and stomp all over my dreams. :001_smile:

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci

post #4 of 18 Old 04-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

it's a deal.
It's probably got ABS & heated grips.

if it had panniers it'd be a steal but you wouldn't regret it.

I had an '05 myself with the same number of miles when I sold it and often wish I hadn't sold it.
Easily the most enjoyable all around bike I've owned. It does everything well and a few things exceptionally well.

post #5 of 18 Old 04-17-2008, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

How does it handle on the street? It looks to be somewhat of a handful. I know it isn't best suited for the slab, but sometimes that is the only way to get to the good stuff.

How is the fuel economy? Not such a big deal, but I was just wondering the range of the GS without stopping for fuel.

post #6 of 18 Old 04-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

actually it's amazing on the slab. I know people who have both a Goldwing and a GS in the garage and choose the GS for long hauls. It goes long distance very very well. Around town it's more nimble than it looks. If it has the ABS that includes power brakes (yes, one finger stops) and the brakes are linked, meaning it automatically applies the rear brake for you. It's a work of art.

Offroad it's capable, with knobbies it'll get you just about everywhere you'd want to go but it is heavy offroad, that's the only caution. It's not a lightweight dirtbike but surprisingly enough with street tires it's absolutely fantastic on the highway or around town.

post #7 of 18 Old 04-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 1

Must be getting old, huh? 37 states on a CBR900RR and NOW you are looking at a BMW GS! LOL You might as well just hit up the last few states on the RR and then buy the GS and hit all those states over again in half the time, with double the comfort. Great accomplishment, I'm jealous.

Low Post Whore!
post #8 of 18 Old 04-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000RRHooligan View Post
Must be getting old, huh? 37 states on a CBR900RR and NOW you are looking at a BMW GS! LOL You might as well just hit up the last few states on the RR and then buy the GS and hit all those states over again in half the time, with double the comfort. Great accomplishment, I'm jealous.
I don't think anyone has ever done it on a CRF230L...

As for the GS, get it. Beautiful bike and loads of them have traveled around the globe.

post #9 of 18 Old 04-17-2008, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
actually it's amazing on the slab. I know people who have both a Goldwing and a GS in the garage and choose the GS for long hauls. It goes long distance very very well. Around town it's more nimble than it looks. If it has the ABS that includes power brakes (yes, one finger stops) and the brakes are linked, meaning it automatically applies the rear brake for you. It's a work of art.

Offroad it's capable, with knobbies it'll get you just about everywhere you'd want to go but it is heavy offroad, that's the only caution. It's not a lightweight dirtbike but surprisingly enough with street tires it's absolutely fantastic on the highway or around town.
Hmmn... Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000RRHooligan View Post
Yes, I am a little old. I am doing another 8 states in July. By next year I will have ridden all 50 states, and 49 on my RR. Then I will retire it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I don't think anyone has ever done it on a CRF230L...

As for the GS, get it. Beautiful bike and loads of them have traveled around the globe.

post #10 of 18 Old 04-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

My buddy I tour with has one. Great bike. Very nice to tour on. Little heavy for the dirt, but if it's got the spoke wheels then it's ready for it.

Buy it!

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 18 Old 04-20-2008, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

I have been looking on Ebay and cycle trader at the GS. One thing I noticed is that there seem to be a lot of 05's for sale. I'm wondering if the average buyer loses interest in 2 or 3 years, or that the 05's are known for some type of issue?

What is the cost of maintenance on this machine? I know it isn't as bad as a Ducati, and working on the bike looks easy enough with the heads sticking straight out the sides. I just wonder. I hope they sell it soon or else I might have to buy it, although there isn't any more room in the garage for it now. I *might* have to get rid of one, hmmn.....

post #12 of 18 Old 04-20-2008, 06:40 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

It's the 3 year flip.
The '05 has no unusual concerns nor is prone to problems.

Maintenance isn't bad if you learn to do it yourself. Valve adjustments and carb synch is easy, change the oil and service the final drive and that's about all there is to do.

post #13 of 18 Old 04-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

A skinny Ewan McGregor was on the tonight show discussing his amazing GS ride across Africa. They showed him low siding the GS on a smooth dirt road. He clarified crashing dozens of times because it is heavy with a high CG. Ahem... His after market suspension failed in the harsh conditions. Looking forward to the video. He was awesome in "long way round"!

post #14 of 18 Old 04-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

i think a 650 is heavy in anything other than basic dirt roads

i can't imagine a tiger or big gs doin the kind of stuff i do...wouldn't want to try it

post #15 of 18 Old 04-20-2008, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
It's the 3 year flip.
The '05 has no unusual concerns nor is prone to problems.

Maintenance isn't bad if you learn to do it yourself. Valve adjustments and carb synch is easy, change the oil and service the final drive and that's about all there is to do.
I've done all of the above except the final drive. I assume that refers to the shaft? What is involved in that, and at what interval is it required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
A skinny Ewan McGregor was on the tonight show discussing his amazing GS ride across Africa. They showed him low siding the GS on a smooth dirt road. He clarified crashing dozens of times because it is heavy with a high CG. Ahem... His after market suspension failed in the harsh conditions. Looking forward to the video. He was awesome in "long way round"!
Sweet. I'm looking forward to that as well. I really liked the long way round and hope the new video is as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
i think a 650 is heavy in anything other than basic dirt roads

i can't imagine a tiger or big gs doin the kind of stuff i do...wouldn't want to try it
I have no real dirt experience other than tooling around the yard on the wifes TTR 125. I suppose "learning" how to ride in the dirt on a hulking big GS isn't the correct way. I see lots of expensive drops in that plan.

post #16 of 18 Old 04-21-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Well, I just got back from looking at this bike again. I have a test ride scheduled for the weekend... It doesn't look good for my bank account!

post #17 of 18 Old 04-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

lol

Congrats on the bike if you pull the trigger

Congrats on self control if you do not.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #18 of 18 Old 04-21-2008, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
lol

Congrats on the bike if you pull the trigger

Congrats on self control if you do not.
Ha, ha, ha... Thanks. I think I have a little self control. I used to get a new bike almost every year, and in 2000 I got two! But since 02 nothing has really spoke to me. All the new bikes are better, faster, etc., but I don't ride that fast on the street anymore that I would notice. It is hard to believe that it has been 6 years since I got a new street bike. I have picked up some other stuff, but a 18 year old FZR 400 and a 27 year old Suzuki don't really count.

I'm actually hoping I DON'T like it, then I can get back to business as usual. Decisions, decisions...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode