Bikes for the herd! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 03-17-2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Bikes for the herd!

All,

I want to buy two dirt bikes for our four children ages 7-15. I've searched the site but have yet to find anything really on point.

These will be entry bikes so should I just assume that a used bike has had the crap beaten out of it and shop for price only?

I'm extremely loyal to the Honda brand (9er), so I am tempted to just find an 80 and a crf 100 and call it a day.

Also, I know enough to look for the obvious (cracking, leaks, will the mf actually start, idle, and run) but are there any other surefire tips I should check?

Thank you in advance for your time,

Jon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-18-2009, 05:52 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

You can pick up the 4 stroke Honda CR100F and CR150F used all day long for cheap and you will have the reliability of Honda and the reliabilty of a 4 stroke...I've had 2 stokes...way fun and way fast but require more maintenance and the occassional Top End rebuild...I'd stick with a 4 stroke to jump onto first.

Hope this helps

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #3 of 10 Old 03-18-2009, 05:59 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Many more options for upgrades to the CRF100 if you go that route. IIRC, jetblast had a helluva time trying to find upgrades for the 80F.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Just casue Im not a bug Honda fan , also check out Kawasaki KLX110,Suzuki DR-Z 125 and DR-Z 125L as well as TTR 125 - As food of a bike as the Honda, but, sometimes you can find them a bit cheaper - As for issues to look for, if the bike is ratty, walk away . Nope , there probally wont be any issues, but, with so many of them out there, why buy a turd when you can find a really nice one for about the same money ?

As for finding one new, good luck ! As of 3/1 NO dealership is to sell any motorcycle ATV or parts for a unit aimed at a youth model ! If they do they get BIG federal fines and alot of trouble -

post #5 of 10 Old 03-18-2009, 09:22 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Looks like the great Malcom Smith is saying to the law ! Everyone go and buy a bike !

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...tegoryId=47842

post #6 of 10 Old 03-18-2009, 12:14 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

We bought an XR80 used. I think that they are practically indestructable. Lots of people buy them, then either outgrow them or don't use them like they think they will so I wouldn't have a problem at all with getting one used.

Here is my (then) 12 year old on hers. No gear, I know, she was posin'...

post #7 of 10 Old 03-18-2009, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

All,

Thank you for the time and the insight! Kind of figured we'd end up here but I really appreciate the confirmation.

On a side note, prior to my 9er the last time I was around motorcycles was 20+ years ago and we had YZ250 and an XT500 when I lived outside of Anchorage. Even 2Ohno did not mention the Yammie. Did they actually decline?

post #8 of 10 Old 03-19-2009, 06:02 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
All,
Even 2Ohno did not mention the Yammie. Did they actually decline?

I forgot to lable it, the TTR 125 is a Yahama, and noe -they are great bikes still. My brother has one and has beaten the living crap out of it and its still ticking right along - He totally embarresses me about it, hes has it 3 years and hasnt even changed the oil ! That says something about how good they are rights there !

post #9 of 10 Old 03-20-2009, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
I forgot to lable it, the TTR 125 is a Yahama, and noe -they are great bikes still. My brother has one and has beaten the living crap out of it and its still ticking right along - He totally embarresses me about it, hes has it 3 years and hasnt even changed the oil ! That says something about how good they are rights there !
Yesterday morning my alarm went off at 3 am and I went, "F***, I think the TT is a Yammie. There's gonna be a post about that, I know it!"

Never mind that I am blessed with a wife I adore, 4 beautiful children, good job...this is the kind of thing I obsess about (along with my upcoming valve clearance check and exhaust mod).

I must have some sort of a disorder...

post #10 of 10 Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
I must have some sort of a disorder...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode