BBR heavy duty springs. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 02-25-2007, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

BBR heavy duty springs.

OK, so I installed these on my 125. Front, and rear, as well as replaced fork oil with 15W. For the first five minutes, it was a great ride and I was impressed. Once I hit a good bump with the front wheel, the right fork popped up, and bounced off the handlebar. Every bump after that, it did the same thing. My question, is what to do about it? I took it back to the dealer, who proceeded to move the forks flush with the top clamp, and torque them down. I am worried that the heavier spring is too much for the stock clamps. Am I way off base, and worrying too much, or should I be looking for an aftermarket top clamp that will solve this (if such a product exists for the 125)?
I like the initial ride with the heavier springs, but it will take some adjustment to the new feedback on uneven terrain. The bike handles my weight better, but I won't know for sure until I can get more than a five minute ride out of it. Jet's shindig in a few weeks should be a good test.

Here are the springs I bought:
Front Fork

Rear Shock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-26-2007, 09:47 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

can't offer any advice James, other than maybe 10w oil and see if the problem still happens. The listing says those springs will work on the CR80/85. Wonder if they'll work on the CRF80F? My springs are shot.

post #3 of 9 Old 02-26-2007, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
The listing says those springs will work on the CR80/85. Wonder if they'll work on the CRF80F? My springs are shot.
I am not positive, but I think the CR80/85 has much beefier, and larger diameter forks than the CRF's. If anything would crossover, I would think the CRF100F shared more components.

Well, to avoid any future issues, I beefed up the top tripleclamp. New upper with better holding power (plus added adjustability) should be the solution I was seeking.

BBR Tripleclamp

And, in case you ask, I did not pay their MSRP. My dealer got it for a good bit off.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-28-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

WOW! Installed last night, and if it doesn't work for my intended use, I can always use it to bludgeon large game or intruders with. It is definately more substantial than the stock triple. The two pinch bolts really make a difference with the stability of the forks, and I am impressed with the adjustability. I can move the handlebars forward about 3/4" by turning the clamps around, and the fork legs are adjustable up to an inch. I will be blasting around the farm this weekend with some friends for some real-time feedback.

post #5 of 9 Old 02-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

nice! I'm itching for a CRF150F now, the 80 looks brand new after the cleanup and paint. Wonder what she'd sell for?
I could show up at the dealership with a CRF80, a chinese 125 and a 748 in the bed of the truck and say "Let's Dance!"

post #6 of 9 Old 02-28-2007, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

He would just laugh at the 748. It really holds no value, you should let me take it off your hands. As a true friend, I would be willing to take that burden off of you so you can make room for the 150.

post #7 of 9 Old 02-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Kevin,

I love my CRF150. Fun little bike.

James,

The comment about bludgeoning intruders was great. Made my day.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #8 of 9 Old 03-01-2007, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Tee-Hee...
Spoiler:

post #9 of 9 Old 03-05-2007, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

I still can't wipe this stupid grin off my face. I spent three hours yesterday with the owner of my local bike shop.(Where I bought the DR-Z BTW) He wanted to come out and see first hand how much fun the 125 is. He brought a friend, his wife, and son. Along with a 2007 King Quad, KLX-110, TTR-125, and SDG-Pro125. More fun than should be legal was had by all, and the King Quad helped tremendously to define the track with it's 4-wheel drive, and independent suspension on every tire. By the end of the day, I could slide the rear predictably into every turn. Sometimes sliding both tires at the same time made for a hairy bit of adventure, but no ag awareness tests were conducted. The mods I have done to the DR-Z really woke it up, and opened up it's anemic engine. The poor little TTR-125 didn't have a snowball's chance, and the SDG made a nice sound, but no performance to back it up. I can't wait to mix it up with some bikes of comperable size, and power.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode