Bad Day in the Dirt - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Bad Day in the Dirt

Well decided to finally get out to the trail to get the shake down run completed on the new to me '01 YZ 250. The day started out great, riding nice damp sand trails in central WI. The YZ is a riot more power than you can reasonably use in any woods trails. On the fifth or six time out around the four mile loop I was taking it easy down a steep hill and she died on me. I pulled the kick lever and stood up on the thing because it did not want to move. Waited a little for the bike to cool hoping it would free up, tried again still locked up. So the long push began. The weather was perfect, low 70s and sunny. The mosquitos were insatiable and there was no getting away pushing a bike through the sand. It took me about 45 minutes to get the bike around 1200 yards to the nearest road were a friend could pick me up with the truck and trailer. I was happy to get out and ride but now it was time to get to the bottom of what happened in the little thumper.

So yesterday was spent stripping the bike down to get at the engine. I started with the obvious. Pulled the head to check the piston. It looked good, Slid off the cylinder. It was good as new and the piston skirt and rings looked good as well. Connecting rod was intact and the center of the crank appeared good. I was a little stumped as to what could have caused the seizure so I pulled the clutch side to check for damage. The clutch itself looked great the starter gear looked fine. Checked the primary drive gear and it looked good. After looking at the drive side awhile I was getting frustrated so I opened a can of beer and suddenly noticed that the oil seal behind the primary drive gear looked askew. So it was time to ge the engine out of the bike. I am guessing that at least one of the crank bearings has eaten itself. Hopefully there is no damage to the crank itself.

This is were I need your guys help. I am wondering if any of you would possibly have a case seperator for loan or rent. I am willing to cover all shipping cost and will get it sent back out to you in quick time. Thanks all.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 09:03 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Can you move the crank by pulling the rod up or down ? I dont think Ive got susch a puller, but, Ill check - Most of my stuff is for Honda ATVs or old Kawasakis - Hate to hear of your day , but, Ik now how it is - I dorve an hour to ride some killer trails just south of me, got all the way down there, traveled 5 miles on a horrible rocky trial to get to the trails and 1.5 miles in my first lap, as I cleared a creekbed , my might DR-Z400 clonkgs out. No headlight, no starting, nothing - and to top it off, I didnt have any tools - So, after a brisk .5 mile push, I manage to get part of my side cover off to discover my posisitve side cable was loose and blew the main fuse, cool ,I replaced it and still nothing - so, i loaded the bike up and went home - I got to checking on it yesterday afternoon and I had a loose ground wire on my starter and a loose connection coming off the kill switch - so, replaced and tightned and shes ready to go !

post #3 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

The crank still rotates but it is very difficult and has a real hard spot to get over. I did notice a little verticle movement of the crank when pulling, pushing the piston with the cylinder removed.

I was happy to get out and ride some dirt. I got most of the day in before she failed so I could not complain to much. Glad to here you got your problem worked out without to much trouble. I hope to get the YZ back out on the trail ASAP.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 11:00 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

I always think if something like that happens, it because somone is telling me something -- Better to error on the side of safety -

Ive checked my stuff here and Im afraid it wouldnt work - Ill do some mroe checking tonight - But, I dont have a good feeling Im gonna have what you need -

post #5 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Thank you for the effort 2ohno. It is greatly appreciated.

post #6 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 12:38 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Kevin,
SO made one for our Yamaha. If it comes to that I can take some pictures for you to see if it might work for you or you might be able to fabricate one for yourself.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Kevin,
SO made one for our Yamaha. If it comes to that I can take some pictures for you to see if it might work for you or you might be able to fabricate one for yourself.
That would be great Kristen! I have all the equipment and material to make my own I just need a little pictoral assitance. Thanks so much.

post #8 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 04:51 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase

Sent you some pictures.
Let me know if you need more assistance.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

good luck i hate to see anyone have trouble when you should be having fun

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #10 of 13 Old 05-28-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Thanks All!

post #11 of 13 Old 05-29-2008, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Well thanks to Kristen's visual aids on the case splitter I was able to get the 250's engine broken down last night. As I had assumed the right side crankshaft bearing was toast. No other visual damage done to the case or the crankshaft, I will be checking everything to make sure it is within manufacturing specs today, it should be up and running in no time. Thank you all again for your help.

post #12 of 13 Old 06-19-2008, 04:16 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase

Kevin-did you get your bike back together yet?
post #13 of 13 Old 09-03-2008, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Kevin-did you get your bike back together yet?
Sorry for the delayed response Kristen. I did get it back together and cannot get enough. A day on the MX track is like my new coffee in the morning, a weekend day just does not feel complete without it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode