Auxillary KLR Lighting - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Auxillary KLR Lighting

I ran into someone who could get me an amazing deal on some quite expensive lights. Hella Xenon Micro DE (or anything else Hella) but these are the ones I have been looking at in particular.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Micro_DE.asp

The only problem I am facing is whether to get fog lights or driving lights. For the most part I drive on pavement and I think the driving lights would compensate for the weak headlight nicely. I don't want to get the fog lights and not have further down-the-road illumination than the stock headlight. Anyone have some experience or more refined thinking on my perdicament?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

jetblast can chime in with his experience. I think he has the driving lights, but they are from PIAA.

If you are looking for more illumination down the road, I think the driving light is definately the way to go. Just make sure you have the wattage to cover everything. IIRC, the pre '08 KLRs were not adequately rigged in the electrical department and some upgrades are necessary for driving lights or other electrical add-ons. I think there is a 400W stator available for your model. Maybe check TPI 4X4.

post #3 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

I like the 35w lights for the KLR.
I know the '08 KLR can easily handle the 55w lights and still power GPS and heated grips and maybe something else but it comes really close to the limit imo.
Pre '08 shouldn't even consider the 55w lights imo.

Currently I've removed my PIAAs from the bike because the crashbars were transferring enough vibes to shake apart the filaments even with rubber washers as a cushion. Can't find a really great place to mount them. Ideally I'd like a good mount on the forks or just under the cowl nose but haven't seen one yet that gets the job done with good clearance.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
I like the 35w lights for the KLR.
I know the '08 KLR can easily handle the 55w lights and still power GPS and heated grips and maybe something else but it comes really close to the limit imo.
Pre '08 shouldn't even consider the 55w lights imo.

Currently I've removed my PIAAs from the bike because the crashbars were transferring enough vibes to shake apart the filaments even with rubber washers as a cushion. Can't find a really great place to mount them. Ideally I'd like a good mount on the forks or just under the cowl nose but haven't seen one yet that gets the job done with good clearance.
Something like this? A little cheesy on the first run, but it has alot of potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallybob
Just completed my newest farkle on my '08. Built a small light rack that attaches to the Eagle fork brace. I wasn't looking for massive cash outlay or even huge lighting, but really was just looking to make myself more visible to traffic. I had already changed out my low beam bulb to a yellow Hella bulb, and found it made me stand out more in traffic. So my idea was to add two more small yellow lights to give the bike the appearance of being more substantial.

The raw light bracket after bending some 3/4" tubing and welding on a mounting bracket.

The ends of the light bracket. This allows for almost unlimited adjustment in conjunction with the bracket on the light itself.

Mounted to EagleMike's fork brace, which was the inspiration for this design to begin with.

I had the light's base mount powdercoated at the same time as the light bracket itself. Closeup detail.

The other side of the bracket.

The dimple I put in the tube for tire clearance. I don't know how much the tires expand at highway speeds, but I didn't want to find out!

The cheap lights I fitted are from Northern Tool, #18814. They're only $11.99 for a pair. They come with 55 watt H3 bulbs, but I removed those and fitted 35 watt (HL78153) bulbs I got from Susquehanna Motorsports to reduce the current draw. Then I covered the majority of the lens faces with some yellow 3M film I got from a local tint/clear film shop. The pieces were scrap so they were free.

Finally I ran some 12 gauge wire from the battery (fused 10 amp) and ran another relay near my Stebel horn. I ran individual power and ground wires in 12 ga. wire and then split them into two 18 ga wires at the light bracket. All connections were heat-shrunk and then wrapped in wire loom for some protection, then zip-tied in place. For now, the relay is activated by a tee into the main headlight power feed, but later on I will add a manual switch which will attach to the handlebar cross brace (when I upgrade my bars). I also appreciate the fact that the lights turn with the bars.

And finally the finished product. I had a friend of mine ride the bike towards me at night at the end result is a far improved frontal presence. Perfect for clueless motorists on cell phones...

Enjoy.

post #5 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

the bracket looks ok but the wiring looks hideous.
I need to spend some R&D time up near the cowl.

post #6 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
the bracket looks ok but the wiring looks hideous.
I need to spend some R&D time up near the cowl.
I think he has since decided to route the wires inside the tubing. Good benchmark to launch from though.

post #7 of 11 Old 08-28-2008, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

One of the main reasons that I don't have any aux lights yet is the power issue. The xenon lights only draw 35w so there should be no problem there. As far as mounting I think the pre '08 KLRs have more options, more flat surfaces and its already pretty ugly so some misplaced lights can't make it much worse.

post #8 of 11 Old 08-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

A huge savings on nice driving lights? Share the deal?

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #9 of 11 Old 08-29-2008, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

The source has asked to remain anonymous. He is taking a bit of a risk letting me get the lights.

post #10 of 11 Old 08-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Fork leg solution

Rummaging around in my garage, I came across this little fork leg bracket. It is designed and intended to mount a steering damper to the fork leg of an SV650. I think with a little extra ingenuity, I could rig an aux light mount from this little guy.

Clamps down easily enough and seems to have enough clearance if I use the small projectors like jetblast has. Maybe just as simple as an "L" bracket w/ bolts through it. Route the wires along the fork leg to the fuse block behind the screen?

post #11 of 11 Old 09-02-2008, 06:17 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

This is the fork bracket I am using.

Shindy 41mm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode