Any Katoom Experts Here? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 04-10-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Any Katoom Experts Here?

I've got a line on a screaming deal for an '07 KTM 690 Supermoto. Does anyone know the difference or changes, if any, from '07 to '08 and '09?

All the specs I've checked seem the same? Beside the exhaust changing sides and the front fender change ... I don't see much? The "stealer" really couldn't answer me.

Thanks.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Rider reborn

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Well, I'm no expert... but I own a 07' 690 Sm.

Its a great! Bike! I've had a few KTMs - Duke II , 950 SM ... This is the best I've had! No Issues !!

There are NO changes for the SM. KTM intro'd the SMC in 08' which is set-up with slightly more susp. travel, and the exhaust is routed differently. The Sm is a steal right now b/c the SMC is the flavour of the time!
I bought mine with little intended off-road use- The SMC is better suited for hard off-road use.

It really benefits from an aftermarket exhaust and factory ECU flash/ change! Great Bike!

Lex Talionis
post #3 of 16 Old 04-10-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkness View Post

Its a great! Bike! I've had a few KTMs - Duke II , 950 SM ... This is the best I've had! No Issues !!

There are NO changes for the SM. KTM intro'd the SMC in 08' which is set-up with slightly more susp. travel, and the exhaust is routed differently. The Sm is a steal right now b/c the SMC is the flavour of the time!
I bought mine with little intended off-road use- The SMC is better suited for hard off-road use.

It really benefits from an aftermarket exhaust and factory ECU flash/ change! Great Bike!
SMC.... No question..............

Still gonna hit you and Mike up beginning of June for a little ride..... Hopefully, he'll have another bike by then.........

post #4 of 16 Old 04-10-2009, 10:29 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

My next purchase will be a 690 SMC.

Professional
post #5 of 16 Old 04-11-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:

Thanks. Are there any suspension or swingarm difference between the SMC and SMR that would not allow for a wheel/tire swap when wanted?

post #6 of 16 Old 04-11-2009, 08:59 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

For a guy who willl most likely park the thing in the garage... you sure ask all the pertinent questions!

post #7 of 16 Old 04-11-2009, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
For a guy who willl most likely park the thing in the garage... you sure ask all the pertinent questions!

But, a pretty garage it is. If I told you about the "dream" that I just recently acquired with the incredibly low mortgage interest rates ... you'd absolutely hate me! It's been a 20-yr dream and will take about 3-5 yrs to complete to my satisfaction.

post #8 of 16 Old 04-11-2009, 10:01 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

RC51's new digs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RC51's new digs!.jpg (59.9 KB, 11 views)

Professional
post #9 of 16 Old 04-11-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
RC51's new digs!
Hasbeen ... nice! You're not that far off. There is alot of old wood involved and some serious renovation. The easiest, least expensive and quickest way would be to build an entirely new structure next to the existing and use the old wood as a facade. But, I just can't do that. I'll be taking the harder route to preserve what I purchase by building inside out.

Okay, someone ... KTM info. My last experience was short lived and I'm itching. This leftover '07 is being offered to me for $7000 OTD. It's even black. I can have the new one in orange for $7800. I prefer the black, but if the new one has any suspension or other goodies advantage the $800 is a small difference.

post #10 of 16 Old 04-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Rider reborn

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

RC 51. Some swear the orange ones are faster... Its just an ugly color!!! Mine is ALL BLACK sans graphics!! Most of the components are interchangeabe. The swingarms however are different. The Sm uses a trellis style (shared with the new Duke) and the SMC has slightly more travel. The SMs are rated as more robust (2-4 Hp advantage) . Most of the differences between the two are stylistic - pretty much the same bike! However the SMC owners will jump up and down and scream blasphemy!! The only downside to the SM is the midpipe routed below the engine. Get It!! You know you want to! Besides Jet is going to get one- he's talking himself into it this minute...

Lex Talionis
post #11 of 16 Old 04-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Rider reborn

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Whats up Hollywood!!! Fancy you on this board... looking to pick up a late model 919?
Mikes on his way over here right now...

I'm headed to Deals Gap May 5-6th and I'm gonna let him ride my DRZ- Head on up!!!

Still gonna hit you and Mike up beginning of June for a little ride..... Hopefully, he'll have another bike by then.........[/QUOTE]

Lex Talionis
post #12 of 16 Old 04-12-2009, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Quote:
... Get It!! You know you want to! Besides Jet is going to get one- he's talking himself into it this minute...
Maybe I should wait then ...

I'll let Jet get his and complete mod it. Wait about 10 months and buy it from him even cheaper?

I'll just buy it. Ride once or twice. Then it becomes garage art for years. I'm out of town for the next 3-wks, so it won't be purchased until I return. He's had it on the floor for a few years. I don't think it's going anywhere.

post #13 of 16 Old 04-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post

I'll let Jet get his and complete mod it. Wait about 10 months and buy it from him even cheaper?

I'll just buy it. Ride once or twice. Then it becomes garage art for years. Hmmm ...

If you buy a SM you better put some miles on it

I'd love to ride one...Reminds me of my dirt bike days

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #14 of 16 Old 04-12-2009, 08:01 AM
speed limits?

my advisor at school has an Orange '08 that he got last summer... he loves the damn thing. he races a KTM in the enduro series so when he gets on his 690 the motocross in him comes out. hope you like yours just as much when you get it

post #15 of 16 Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post

I'll just buy it. Ride once or twice. Then it becomes garage art for years. I'm out of town for the next 3-wks, so it won't be purchased until I return. He's had it on the floor for a few years. I don't think it's going anywhere.
We'll work this one the other way around, consult me before you mod.

post #16 of 16 Old 04-17-2009, 03:33 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
We'll work this one the other way around, consult me before you mod.
Sounds like he has your number. Not too far off from it anyways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode