Another New Toy Thread DR-Z400SM - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 08-15-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Another New Toy Thread DR-Z400SM

Picked this up a week ago, she's about ready for her 1st service now. I wanted something fun and light as an addition to my 919. I'm going to unfairly compare my 919 to it in this post - but the 919 is great at what she's built for. Not ready to mod her yet but open to suggestions...

I feel much more comfortable on this bike in the wet, and I've been caught in a couple storms on it - I would have ridden the truck before. Of course bumps, potholes, speed bumps, the odd low speed curb hop are no problem. I did back off the rear rebound damping a couple of clicks and it seems close to perfect. I may back off a little on the high speed compression damping in the front next - seems a little too stiff for my "style".

There's a rolling, twisty, bumpy, steeply crowned, (not to mention HAUNTED, LOL) road nearby that I like to ride every chance... I haven't hit the same top speed on the straights as I've done on the 919, but I'm sure the ET is the same or better. I feel more confident in the real tight twisty narrow part. Also I've taken that road in the wet on this bike - something I avoid on the 919. I don't go all out on either bike there. The 919 uses all of her suspension there, while this bike might use half.

I need to learn to put down the inside foot more often! Never road dirt so I don't have that background.

P7160003.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

it takes a little while to get used to putting your foot out when you come from street riding, but once you get used to it you hardly even notice you are doing it half the time. congrats on the new toy.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #3 of 20 Old 08-15-2009, 08:50 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Looks like fun, enjoy!

post #4 of 20 Old 08-19-2009, 05:40 AM
President of FOG

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Congrats! We were looking at a 400 for a first bike for my girl but decided on a WR2fittyX instead. DRZSM's are literally bulletproof with tons of aftermarket available.

Where is this road you speak of? I have been looking for good Motard road to ride my 610 on. I haven't found anything in the VB area that sounds like what your road.

Playing hooligan on a 08 Husky SM610 and WR250X.

Making dream homes come true! Virginia Beach Remodeling

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat
post #5 of 20 Old 08-19-2009, 08:03 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Cool bike, congrats!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #6 of 20 Old 08-19-2009, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDAZXX View Post
Congrats! We were looking at a 400 for a first bike for my girl but decided on a WR2fittyX instead. DRZSM's are literally bulletproof with tons of aftermarket available.

Where is this road you speak of? I have been looking for good Motard road to ride my 610 on. I haven't found anything in the VB area that sounds like what your road.
I like the WR because it's fuel-injected and even lighter than the 321 lb DRZ. I don't believe there would be a huge difference in power. while I was looking for a bike, I did check out A DRZ that was heavily modded, it had the 450 dirt bike carb and full yoshi system and lots more, it was posted for sale on Craigslist here in NN, almost bought it but the wait for the title would have been a couple weeks.

I'm gonna send you a link to the road, it's only a couple miles long. It's fairly close to me so I hit it daily to work on my skills and have a little fun. There's all kinds of rumors of hauntings but I haven't experienced anything weird there day or night - not far from there however... while hiking with the dogs...

post #7 of 20 Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 AM
President of FOG

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Yeah they are comparable on power. The biggest difference in the two is ergos (the 2fiddyX is super skinny in the waist) power delivery with FI and weight. The X is a smooth runner thats a hoot to ride. Mine is bone stock with a lowered suspension and cut down seat for K8. We should get togather and I'll bring Micheal along on one of the tards as well. Like most street tards, they are happiest on slower twisties but the cool part about playing in the urban jungle is you can go hooligan whenever and whereever you want.

Playing hooligan on a 08 Husky SM610 and WR250X.

Making dream homes come true! Virginia Beach Remodeling

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat
post #8 of 20 Old 08-19-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

That would be really cool, I'll be in touch about that, or let me know when I can ride along with y'all.

I took the 400 across the JRB to Suffolk for the Chili Dog Social at Tidewater Motorcycle last night. Bunch of neat characters, maybe 20 bikes of all sorts. Surprising amount of interest in the Suzuki, but then again some of those guys have ridden about everything else. Came back on the Jamestown Ferry. It was a nice ride doing 60ish on the highways. Beautiful evening, darn shame I couldn't get any pals to ride with me last night.

post #9 of 20 Old 11-11-2009, 12:07 AM
fat guy on a little bike

ive been droolin while lookin at the drz-sm for a couple weeks now. the only problem is i would trade in the 919.... i am afraid ill regret it cuz ive never ridden the 400.. i really wanna test ride one though.. i just dont really ride the 919 to any of its potential, when i do even ride it. and often times i get myself into situations where she intimidates me a bit. call me an amateur or wuss but i grew up in the dirt and went to a nighthawk 450 then within a year the 919 now four years on the 919 she still shocks me sometimes.. wuddya think would i regret it?? would you???

post #10 of 20 Old 11-11-2009, 02:43 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Cool bike, congrats...Did someone mention a new road

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #11 of 20 Old 11-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Sike

Congrats! I got a little WR250 a few months ago and I'm loving it. The supermotos are just awesome for running around the backroads.

post #12 of 20 Old 11-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf View Post
it takes a little while to get used to putting your foot out when you come from street riding, but once you get used to it you hardly even notice you are doing it half the time. congrats on the new toy.
and visa versa.... im 20 been riding dirt since i was 10, and started riding a crusier 2 yrs ago then just recently switched to a 919... i have caught myself a coupla times stick my inside foot out when im on my 919 and i go... wow i must look like a goon hahah.

when i went to get a more performance street bike i looked at the supermotos and the drz was up there but i got an awesome deal on the 919 ... If i could have my way id have the 919 and a supermoto like a drz but money isnt there LOL.

post #13 of 20 Old 11-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

getting your foot down is overrated

put it down and hook it up, it's all over

pegleggin in the dirt when needed, well that's a different story

having said that, i've been busted more than once puttin my foot down on the 919 rounding intersections and goofin off

great buy btw, congrats

post #14 of 20 Old 11-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I have an '09 DR-Z SM collecting dust in the garage.

post #15 of 20 Old 11-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

More than happy to mixed it up with you all on my CL360. Last time I rode with F4iguy, BDAZXX's tard over heated because he had troubles keeping up with a 35 year old bike. New haunted road?

post #16 of 20 Old 11-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
More than happy to mixed it up with you all on my CL360. Last time I rode with F4iguy, BDAZXX's tard over heated because he had troubles keeping up with a 35 year old bike. New haunted road?
Must have been the Husky.....

post #17 of 20 Old 11-11-2009, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrian24 View Post
ive been droolin while lookin at the drz-sm for a couple weeks now. the only problem is i would trade in the 919.... i am afraid ill regret it cuz ive never ridden the 400.. i really wanna test ride one though.. i just dont really ride the 919 to any of its potential, when i do even ride it. and often times i get myself into situations where she intimidates me a bit. call me an amateur or wuss but i grew up in the dirt and went to a nighthawk 450 then within a year the 919 now four years on the 919 she still shocks me sometimes.. wuddya think would i regret it?? would you???
I think that if I could only have one or the other, I'd have the 919. Now if I had to watch every dime I spent and lived a couple miles up a gravel road I might go with the motard, but I live in the burbs a mile from the interstate.

The 919 is far more comfortable on the highway (and I'm going to install a Plexifairing, for the winter at least), passes quickly, carries a lot of weight and volume in the top and side cases, better for 2-up.

I do ride the motard more, had to put new tires on it last week, the rear Dunlop was showing a spot of cord where I slid the rear, 3700 miles. Replaced with Avon Distanzias. The motard is my commuter, short ride fun bike, gas saver, run to the store for snack/beverage/lotto ticket bike, bad weather bike.

What's making me drool right now is the KTM 690 SMC, one of those might be able to replace both bikes!

post #18 of 20 Old 11-11-2009, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
getting your foot down is overrated

put it down and hook it up, it's all over

pegleggin in the dirt when needed, well that's a different story

having said that, i've been busted more than once puttin my foot down on the 919 rounding intersections and goofin off

great buy btw, congrats
I agree, now. Somebody on WT said you can ride these with the usual technique and that is true. Sometimes though, especially if I suspect I'm going into a situation where the rear may slide out, I'll keep my upper body vertical and lean just the bike so it'll be easier to catch it with my foot if I have too. I've come close to backing it in but that was not the original intention, just me pushing my envelope a little further than I should. I've scared myself - then backed off for a while - scared myself again...

post #19 of 20 Old 11-11-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

OK, here's something about the road:
Crawford Road
Actually it's Crafford but it shows up as Crawford on some maps.

Don't want to give anyone the impression like it's the most awesome road within 100 miles but I enjoy it.

Maybe 2 miles long, and a little out of the way, but fun on any bike. Parts are pretty rough, and the closest I've been to a real tank slapper on the 919, was after hitting a pothole in a curve here. Also there are some blind sections - especially in summer, and there's the occasional deer or turkey. Stays wet a long time after a rain. Road has a decent crown on it. The 919 is better suited for some parts, the motard for others. It ain't the Dragon but it's the closest thing in my neighborhood.

I have ridden it at night a few times, only once did I get a slightly creepy feeling, like being followed,

post #20 of 20 Old 11-16-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

And now thanks to the nor'easter there's pine straw on the edges of this already narrow road, and a flooded area...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode