An Iowa Afternoon on 4 wheels - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 45 Old 10-18-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

An Iowa Afternoon on 4 wheels

Just so y'all don't feel too sorry for me being out here with my Mom while she recuperates, here's some shots of my afternoon spent enjoying my brother's farms...

Lots of toys at my disposal

Chose the Yamaha Grizzly 700, fuel injected, push button 4wd, power steering, independent suspension, traction control, it's a beast!

My brother's luxo-condo deer blind

I made the tour of several of my brother's ponds and lakes...this one is known as the Giberson pond

The Catfish pond

The Home Place pond

The Meck pond

Lake Christie, largest private lake in Jefferson County

Lake Michelle

Other end of Lake Michelle

I'm staying at my brother's hunting lodge, extremely comfortable place with lots of character

My bedroom, I'm the only one there so no argument about the bottom bunk

It's an unassuming machine shed from the outside, he had it completely finished on the inside but kept the low key exterior. Mom's country gardens are fading into autumn now

Here's one more to make you laugh, I don't have any outdoors clothes with me since this was an unplanned trip, rummaged through my brother's hunting clothes and found some camo to match the Grizzly

It was great to get out into fields and timbers and enjoy some sunshine and fresh air. Too much time spent in hospital rooms this week, this afternoon was much needed R&R. Loved that ATV, tons of power and I topped it out on a gravel road at 63mph!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 10-18-2009, 05:49 PM
That's Right!!!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

That sure does look like a good way to spend a day! I rode the 9'er to Walmart and back (6 mile round trip) and I'll tell you this much..........IT'S STARTING TO GET COLD!!! LOL!

2003 Honda RC51
post #3 of 45 Old 10-18-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

I only did like 10 miles but it was all off road. Had no problem with being cold with the insulated camo, it's not deer season yet or I would have had to add some safety orange to my handsome outfit!

post #4 of 45 Old 10-18-2009, 06:10 PM
That's Right!!!

Awards Showcase

I didn't opt for my gloves so my hands were the only issue, but I'll tell you what.......you notice the cold tires....

2003 Honda RC51
post #5 of 45 Old 10-18-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller View Post
I didn't opt for my gloves so my hands were the only issue, but I'll tell you what.......you notice the cold tires....
Gotta wear gloves Billy!

post #6 of 45 Old 10-18-2009, 06:31 PM
That's Right!!!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Gotta wear gloves Billy!
I know...........and from seeing me in Indy, you know I always do..........but I figured since my trip was 6 miles through neighborhoods.........I'd be ok......LOL! I need to buy some actual winter riding gloves.

2003 Honda RC51
post #7 of 45 Old 10-18-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I know...........and from seeing me in Indy, you know I always do..........but I figured since my trip was 6 miles through neighborhoods.........I'd be ok......LOL! I need to buy some actual winter riding gloves.
Yeah, cuz accidents never happen close to home! Gentle reminder my friend, you know your hands sometimes take the worse of it when you go down. Just ask Ragdoll and he was wearing serious racing gloves. Of course he WAS going like 150mph.

I was hanging on at 60+ mph on that Grizzly, realized it wouldn't be hard to roll it at that kind of speed on a gravel road with floatation tires. Next time out I'll bring my gear along, just getting this damn knee back into shape, don't need to mess it up again!

post #8 of 45 Old 10-18-2009, 06:51 PM

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Whoo-hoo, he's back on a bike...sorta. =)

post #9 of 45 Old 10-18-2009, 06:57 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

great pix, glad you had an awesome day.

my last time on an ATV was a couple of years ago on my cousin's dairy farm in wisconsin. I came back covered in what I thought was mud. then my cousin said, "Look, Jon, see the barn...see the pad where we have the cows while we muck the barn...now see the slope where you came down...that's not mud."

Naturally.

post #10 of 45 Old 10-18-2009, 06:58 PM
That's Right!!!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Yeah, cuz accidents never happen close to home! Gentle reminder my friend, you know your hands sometimes take the worse of it when you go down. Just ask Ragdoll and he was wearing serious racing gloves. Of course he WAS going like 150mph.
Oh I know bro........first crash I had on a motorcycle I wasn't wearing gloves and rash sucks on your hands. It was a poor decision to not wear them today, but to be honest it turned out alright so I won't lose sleep over it

2003 Honda RC51
post #11 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 05:13 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Here's one more to make you laugh, I don't have any outdoors clothes with me since this was an unplanned trip, rummaged through my brother's hunting clothes and found some camo to match the Grizzly

It was great to get out into fields and timbers and enjoy some sunshine and fresh air. Too much time spent in hospital rooms this week, this afternoon was much needed R&R. Loved that ATV, tons of power and I topped it out on a gravel road at 63mph!
Grizzly Adams part deux! Good stuff Scott. Glad you could get out and clear your head for awhile.

post #12 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 07:06 AM
1st Lt. on Spaceball 1

I would take that Kubota and move dirt from one big pile to another. things like that usually clear my head but I also run a 1946 John Deer B up and down the road just for kicks so take that for what its worth. I really just wanted to give your brother a thumbs up for the deluxe deer stand. good stuff

2004 Honda 599 (yellow hornet)
post #13 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Oh I know bro........first crash I had on a motorcycle I wasn't wearing gloves and rash sucks on your hands. It was a poor decision to not wear them today, but to be honest it turned out alright so I won't lose sleep over it
Sorry to sound preachy Billy, wasn't my intention, guess I'm a bit over protective right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Grizzly Adams part deux! Good stuff Scott. Glad you could get out and clear your head for awhile.
Looks like I'll be here all week and the forecast is decent, so I'll get the Grizzly out again I'm sure. Going to go visit Duke's Yamaha/Kawasaki dealership this afternoon, see what he has in the showroom. Last time I talked to Duke he said he was ready to retire and would like to sell the dealership, that could be dangerous as bored as I am right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by readinghornet View Post
I would take that Kubota and move dirt from one big pile to another. things like that usually clear my head but I also run a 1946 John Deer B up and down the road just for kicks so take that for what its worth. I really just wanted to give your brother a thumbs up for the deluxe deer stand. good stuff
Yeah, that Kubota is a fine machine, I might hook up the bush hog and go mow some paths around the ponds, that's always fun. The deer stand is funny, all my brother's hunting buddies give him hell for having such a comfy stand when they're hanging off the sides of trees.

post #14 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

that is one kick ass hunting lodge... i would totally wanna build something like that... barn from the outside... totally awesome on the inside.... NICE

post #15 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
that is one kick ass hunting lodge... i would totally wanna build something like that... barn from the outside... totally awesome on the inside.... NICE
It is awesome, everyone freaks out when they step inside because from the outside it just looks like a typical Iowa machine shed. It was just an 3 sided open front machinery storage shed when he started, now it's a world class hunting lodge. Has beds for 12, additional heavy duty cots for 20 when needed. Two bathrooms, two bedrooms, a sleeping loft, completely outfitted kitchen, comfy leather furniture, walls covered with trophy bucks. Also has a "mud room" to store all the hunting gear, washer and dryer, beer fridge, and a fish cleaning sink. There's a separate pole barn for all the equipment, three ATV's, the Kubota, boats, canoes, tree stands, etc.

post #16 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
mary... tell him i wanna go.... please... i know how to clean animals/fish
she's serious...

post #17 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 09:29 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I WANNA GO TOO!!!!!!

Very Nice. Well... that does it, no more feeling sorry for you. Still worried about Mum... but you... NAH! Now I am just bleedin jealous!

post #18 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

+3 that looks like an awesome place to unwind!! Thanks for sharing!

post #19 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Sure beats sleeping in the hospital room!

post #20 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 10:56 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Dang, that looks like a fun day Scott. Love to ride the 4 wheelers across the badland of my dad's ranch whenever I'm home. Funny he has a hunting cabin set up inside his shop also thats very similar, but not nearly as nicely done inside. You'd never now there was 2 level 3 bedroom apartment inside when you were outside.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #21 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 03:44 PM
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

Great stuff Scott! Your brother has his own hunting lodge? wow! haha, that's something I've never heard before. How's the leg healing up? Looks like it's doing fairly well from the pics. I've been so busy moving/starting work/still recuperating that I haven't been on here in a while.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
post #22 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Hey Nathan, good to hear from you. Yeah, big brother is quite the outdoorsman, as are all his friends. People come in from all over the country to hunt at his place in Iowa, some of the best whitetail, pheasant and quail hunting you'll find, along with trophy bass in the ponds.

How's the new life down south?

post #23 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 04:04 PM
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase

Things are going pretty good, first full week of doing the job I was hired for. Done with all the orientation stuff, I know it's important, but it drives me crazy to sit and watch videos. Oh well... Other than that, just trying to get some furniture, I've been living out of my suitcase since I moved down on the 9th. But I've got a bed and a coffee maker so I guess I'm alright. ha

Here are some pics I took today, all of them are about 15mins from my apartment and less than 5 minutes from work. I will be doing some more exploring tomorrow, so maybe some more pics. Oh, and all of the country roads that I've been on are 10 times better than ANY country road I've ever driven. I like this state already!

**I just noticed how hugely wide my chicken strips are in pic #2, sigh....maybe some new tires will inspire confidence.**
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (132.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (142.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (93.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (134.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 16.jpg (113.8 KB, 6 views)

post #24 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 04:23 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStraub 919 View Post

**I just noticed how hugely wide my chicken strips are in pic #2, sigh....maybe some new tires will inspire confidence.**
damn.... ranch or blue cheese???

post #25 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 04:24 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

although i think we all found our location for the 1st annual "all of the usa" meeting of wristtwisters....

post #26 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 04:25 PM
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase

Quote:
damn.... ranch or blue cheese???
Sigh, it's been over a month and I'm still riding ultra conservatively.....Blue Cheese please...

post #27 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 04:32 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Sigh, it's been over a month and I'm still riding ultra conservatively...
i know...just teasing *(grabs him in a headlock and gives him a nuggie)...... we want you to be careful.... friends are hard to find....

post #28 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Things are going pretty good, first full week of doing the job I was hired for. Done with all the orientation stuff, I know it's important, but it drives me crazy to sit and watch videos. Oh well... Other than that, just trying to get some furniture, I've been living out of my suitcase since I moved down on the 9th. But I've got a bed and a coffee maker so I guess I'm alright. ha

Here are some pics I took today, all of them are about 15mins from my apartment and less than 5 minutes from work. I will be doing some more exploring tomorrow, so maybe some more pics. Oh, and all of the country roads that I've been on are 10 times better than ANY country road I've ever driven. I like this state already!

Beautiful country, can't wait for spring time when we gather up the Indy WT faithful and crash your place for the weekend! How's your shoulder feeling these days?

post #29 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
big brother is quite the outdoorsman, as are all his friends. People come in from all over the country to hunt at his place in Iowa, some of the best whitetail, pheasant and quail hunting you'll find, along with trophy bass in the ponds.
Sounds/looks like quite a place! Glad to hear that you had some time to kick back!

Quote:
although i think we all found our location for the 1st annual "all of the usa" meeting of wristtwisters....
+1!

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #30 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 04:43 PM
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Beautiful country, can't wait for spring time when we gather up the Indy WT faithful and crash your place for the weekend! How's your shoulder feeling these days?
Anybody's welcome to come as long as they don't mind sleeping on an air mattress, or a couch...once I get one. ha! Hopefully by Springtime I'll have a few trips mapped out, though I haven't had a chance to explore too much (rainy and in the 40's for the past week, today was great scenery with a little twist, and i can't get over how great the conditions of these country roads are!)

post #31 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Catfish pond? Did you try your hand at Noodling?

post #32 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 07:27 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by myztical View Post
I honestly lol'ed at the pun. Damn it. :)

post #33 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 07:38 PM
That's Right!!!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Sorry to sound preachy Billy, wasn't my intention, guess I'm a bit over protective right now.
I didn't take it at all in a bad way bro. Good lookin out as always.......and I mention the same things I plan on riding the 9'er tomorrow to work

2003 Honda RC51
post #34 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by myztical View Post
Noodling...hand fishing...not for the faint of heart. It's tough to do it in a pond, usually done in creeks, you reach over the side and feel around back in the holes and crevices for a big cat, then jam your hand down his throat and yank him out. My dad had tales of doing that when he was younger and I've seen other old guys with scars all over their forearms from the practice. I've never tried it myself, have been stung and poked by enough small catfish and bullhead spines, not all that interested in finding out what the teeth of a big daddy feel like scraping the skin off my wrists.

post #35 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 08:12 PM
livelaughlove

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
+1!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Give the guy a break.... men in uniforms and Camies... huba huba!!

Quote:
I'm with Barton on this one!! Not quite as center as Colorado, but then Scotts got "THE LODGE" - or at least is brother does!!

Hope
post #36 of 45 Old 10-20-2009, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopegrabowski View Post
Give the guy a break.... men in uniforms and Camies... huba huba!!
Ah gee, thanks Hope!

post #37 of 45 Old 10-20-2009, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

A lot of good times have been had out at my brother's lodge, not only has it served as a great hunting lodge, it's also a wonderful place for family gatherings. I couldn't wait to move away from Iowa when I was younger, still not quite ready to leave the city and move back but I sure do enjoy visiting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03086.jpg (69.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03140.jpg (69.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03009.jpg (97.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03115.jpg (145.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03130.jpg (65.2 KB, 9 views)

post #38 of 45 Old 10-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Imaginifer

Quote:
A lot of good times have been had out at my brother's lodge, not only has it served as a great hunting lodge, it's also a wonderful place for family gatherings. I couldn't wait to move away from Iowa when I was younger, still not quite ready to leave the city and move back but I sure do enjoy visiting.
Ahhh Morel mushrooms, gotta love 'em! Didn't know you had them out there. Up here we get tons of Indiana plated cars searching the woods for them!

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #39 of 45 Old 10-20-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc919er View Post
Ahhh Morel mushrooms, gotta love 'em! Didn't know you had them out there. Up here we get tons of Indiana plated cars searching the woods for them!
Oh yeah, we have some of the best morel hunting in the country in Iowa. We make an annual trip the first week of May, all our family and many friends gather in for the big hunt and feast!

post #40 of 45 Old 10-28-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

It hit 60 in southeastern Iowa this afternoon, Mom is settled at home and doing well so I got some more time to go play in the dirt. Drove my truck out this trip, knee has finally healed enough to operate the clutch, had great fun bashing around some muddy dirt roads today!

Gotta love signs like this!

Followed by roads like this...

Always loved this road when I was a kid, has a low water crossing where you drive right through the creek

Cool whirlpool

After I got done muddying up the truck I got the four wheeler out and went for a ride. Was much better prepared this trip as far as gear, got to try out my new Shoei DS Hornet for the first time. Yeah, I'm bored, why else would I be taking pics of myself in the bathroom mirror?

I think Iowa's beautiful as the seasons are changing and autumn starts to fade into winter

Try lodging a camera into a tree, setting the timer and making it back on the ATV before it goes off. Got this one on the third try, not too bad

Got the Toyota a lot muddier than the Yamaha, great time with both of them though!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode