2008 KLR 17 mile test ride - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 09-08-2007, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

2008 KLR 17 mile test ride

Lucky me, my dealer picked an '08 KLR off his inventory as a demo bike from Kawi. He threw me the key and told me to get lost for a while to clear my head and make sure the KLR was the bike I wanted.

First impression; damn this thing is tall! I was tiptoeing even after sitting and letting the suspension settle. Hmmm, these bars are kind of wide, but we'll see how it goes on the pavement.

Helmet, gloves, check. Turn key in ignition, no fuel pump priming. Ohhhh yeah, this one's still carburated. Open the choke, twist the throttle about half turn and she fires righ up to a resonant hum. Nice exhaust note for a factory exhaust. Note to self; research new KLR exhausts.

Click down into first, let out clutch and a nice lunge forward. Note to self #2; twitchy throttle at first. First thoughts in parking lot. This thing is pretty plush for a ride. It soaks up the bumps, the seat is comfortable, and I actually feel like I am sitting on top of the bike, and not down in it like the Strom. Nice little hum from the engine at low throttle.

Wait for traffic to clear in both directions, twist of the throttle and she's off. Good pull from a dead standstill to 50 mph. A little buzzy at 5K rpm's, but it is a thumper and it hasn't fully broken in yet. Try to keep in my mind that it only has 13 miles on the clock, and I should not goose it too much yet. Quickly reach 60mph on a country road and I can take time to examine all the controls and displays.

Very simple. Kawasaki kept to a bare minimum and strictly adhered to the K.I.S.S. theory. Tach, speed, turn indicator, neutral indicator, trip reset button and temp guage. That's it. No more, no less, and all of them are analog dials. No digital. I did find myself a bit disappointed w/out a low fuel warning light, but they put a reserve switch in easy access near the left knee. I will just need to keep in the back of my head how many miles I can get to a tank w/ varying riding conditions.

A little windy at 70mph, but no more than the Strom and in fact, it was quite a bit more comfortable now that I think of it. It seems to be a very capable replacement thus far. Damn these bars are wide. Note #3; get a new set of bars.

Foot placement; great. Body position; great. Throttle response; a little anemic below 4K, but it comes on strong after that up to 5K. Not as buzzy as I expected it to be, and quite comfortable. It is top heavy, and the suspension needs tweaking. I can only think of three must haves before I ride mine one mile. Change out fork oil w/ heavier weight and maybe add a touch. Replace front brake line w/ s/s braided for some feel. Change out bars for something a bit more narrow. Beyond that, I could not come up w/ anything in my 17 mile jaunt. I tried a little of every situation. From city stop-n-go to wide open county roads with some sweeping and mixed tight curves. She handles well for such a large bike w/ older technology. The brakes are good, but can be better. Lots of suspension dive under braking and accelleration, but I think the fork fluid will alleviate some of that. Good wind protection w/ a bit of heat coming off the left engine side. Good foot placement seated or standing. Wide tail w/ large grab handles if any off-road muscling is required.

To sum it up, I like it alot. From discussions of the older KLR owners, this is an entirely different riding experience, but in a good way. Kawi listened and answered all the issues w/ the legacy KLR. I'll give a long term ride report after owning my new steed in a few months. In the meantime, I am stoked about getting back my ADV ride and fulfilling some lost time w/ friends who should be ADV'ing w/ me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

growl

post #3 of 12 Old 09-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
growl
He did not ride a Tiger. No growl applied here.

Sounds like a good deal. I wonder how it will handle the ride to FL....

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06

post #4 of 12 Old 09-08-2007, 09:06 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Don't worry about the height. You can buy a lowering link and shorter sidestand from DualStar.

You can go about 240 miles on a tank, more if you just cruise.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #5 of 12 Old 09-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Living the dream

Some Southerners still need a ride North West. Great roads on the way and a great way to test it.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-09-2007, 03:36 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Ridge - I got the TN section of the TransAmTrail ordered today, you down for a possible early october trip ? -Assuming everything is well that is !

post #7 of 12 Old 09-09-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I'll have to look at vacation time, as I have quite a bit slotted for my trip to TX in Oct.

post #8 of 12 Old 09-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I was out trail riding today, and I saw a V-strom and a new KLR ride by on the road. I was curious. The new KLR looks a lot more like a V-strom and a lot less like the old KLR. Did the changes to the KLR sacrifice some of its off-road ability?

-Joe
post #9 of 12 Old 09-09-2007, 04:55 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
I was out trail riding today, and I saw a V-strom and a new KLR ride by on the road. I was curious. The new KLR looks a lot more like a V-strom and a lot less like the old KLR. Did the changes to the KLR sacrifice some of its off-road ability?
Yes, if you crash you will pay more.

General George S. Patton
post #10 of 12 Old 09-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
Yes, if you crash you will pay more.
I figured as much. The new plastic is pretty though.

-Joe
post #11 of 12 Old 09-09-2007, 10:32 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
I figured as much. The new plastic is pretty though.
My budys blue KLR is a fine looking bike, but I like my 05 wallflower. She might not be stellar looking, but man, she puts out!

General George S. Patton
post #12 of 12 Old 09-12-2007, 06:38 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

^ And thats how we like em !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode