HELP: Need a Custom Triple Tree. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

HELP: Need a Custom Triple Tree.

There's no way I'm gonna fit the Brutale headlight on my bike, without having a custom triple made.

Anyone know any machine shops that can fab one up for me?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
There's no way I'm gonna fit the Brutale headlight on my bike, without having a custom triple made.

Any shop with a CNC mill can do it -- as long as you hand them a complete, ready to go CAD file with no glitches or questions. Oh, and they'll charge a setup fee proportional to the number of tool paths (roughing and finishing), setup changes, fixtures, man hours spent making a tool to make a tool to make a fixture ... you get the idea. Not bad if you are making 10,000 of them as they can amortize (that's accountantspeak for "hide") the setup charge by dividing it by the number of units. I needed 2 simple clamps, went to an NC machine shop and got a quote of $575. Of course if I wanted 1,000 they would have cost $17.29 each.

The question you need to ask is "Is it worth a grand to have a trick looking headlight?" If so, go for it.

Past that I can't be of much help. Oh, I can design it for you and send it to a stereolithography / prototyping shop in San Diego that promises fast turnaround, but they would need a finalized .stl design file to work from (which I can generate) to estimate the job.

Let me know what you think.

Rob

P.S.:
Quote:
Honda 919 Hornet: "I can rebuild her. Better than she was before. Better, stronger, faster. And it will cost $6 million."
There, I fixed it for you.

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #3 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I was just thinking about that thread yesterday

Dan

Dan

post #4 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 09:53 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Rob, can you show us photos of the Brutale light, or at least the mounting points? There must be a reasonable way to make some mounting brackets. Having custom triples made to fit the headlight is by far the most expensive option... although custom triples might look pretty trick!!!

post #5 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:

Okay, now I get it. Looked up the Brutale and saw the headlight mounts on standard ears -- at least from the pictures I could find.

The point is you want the triple in order to make the headlight look sufficiently trick, not need it to mount it up. It all makes sense now. That'll cost you $1263.92, with delivery in about a week. Send me a deposit of at least 50% and I'll get going on it. Of course you'll also need USD forks to complete the look. No sweat. I've already got the design down.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #6 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Aquilifer

Guess this is you?
Mock-up of my 919 - MotoHouston.com

Starting to come together...nice.

Rich

post #7 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Okay, now I get it. Looked up the Brutale and saw the headlight mounts on standard ears -- at least from the pictures I could find.

The point is you want the triple in order to make the headlight look sufficiently trick, not need it to mount it up. It all makes sense now. That'll cost you $1263.92, with delivery in about a week. Send me a deposit of at least 50% and I'll get going on it. Of course you'll also need USD forks to complete the look. No sweat. I've already got the design down.

Rob
Yeah, it's more a want than a need thing. I'll need to relocate the ignition switch to make room for the top rear of the headlight; otherwise, it'll look stupid sticking out so far. So basicly I'll need a triple with a concave shaped front.

I was thinking about cutting the ignition housing off the front of the stocker, but not so sure if that's a good idea (structurally).

post #8 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Rob
Yeah, something like that would be sweet, with maybe a little more taken out to make more room up front.

Man, I know it's gonna cost me, but I gots to do what I gots to do! Albeit, I may have to put it off till I get some more spending $$$$ in my pocket.

post #9 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jura View Post
Guess this is you?
Mock-up of my 919 - MotoHouston.com

Starting to come together...nice.

Rich
Yup, that's it! You can see in the second pic, what the problem is with the ignition switch.

btw, why the h*ll does the ignition switch need to be so HUGE?

post #10 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

After looking at those photos it's making more sense - the headlight needs to be moved back and down, and the gauges need to be moved forward and down... A LOT!

Do it cruiser style and put the ignition down by the airbox on the side of the bike, then cut off the mounts for the ignition switch. Is there enough wiring to relocate the ignition switch?

post #11 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
After looking at those photos it's making more sense - the headlight needs to be moved back and down, and the gauges need to be moved forward and down... A LOT!

Do it cruiser style and put the ignition down by the airbox on the side of the bike, then cut off the mounts for the ignition switch. Is there enough wiring to relocate the ignition switch?
Yeah, I'm gonna try cutting it off first. I'm just worried about the strength of the triple, once I do so.

I think I may buy another ignition switch (I know they make them for custom bikes, but not sure where to find them), because the stock one is huge, and I have no idea why? There's not enough wiring to get it by the airbox, but if I can find a small enough ignition assembly, I can mount it to the frame, or right behind the headset. Or maybe I just have someone set up a remote start system, with a key fob, like they do on some alarm systems... (or better yet, an alarm system with remote start option).

post #12 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 03:19 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Or maybe I just have someone set up a remote start system, with a key fob, like they do on some alarm systems... (or better yet, an alarm system with remote start option).
Now you're talking! Make it completely custom, and clean up the look of the upper triple at the same time!

Arse Keyless Motorcycle Ignition Switch

post #13 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
Now you're talking! Make it completely custom, and clean up the look of the upper triple at the same time!

Arse Keyless Motorcycle Ignition Switch
Awesome product!! If I can cut off the stock triple with no issues, then this is the way I'm gonna go! Thanks man!!

post #14 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 04:07 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Rob919, looking at your mock up picture the headlight seems a little on the high side as well. If you lowered it so the top of the headlight is under the upper triple will it recess back further?

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #15 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
Rob919, looking at your mock up picture the headlight seems a little on the high side as well. If you lowered it so the top of the headlight is under the upper triple will it recess back further?
That's where I'd like it to be, ideally. It's a big, tall headlight! I didn't realize it was that tall.

I can fit it just below the "ring" of the ignition housing, but I am worried the bottom will be too close to the top of the front fender. It would be about 4" from the bottom of the light, to the top of the fender. When I brake, and the forks compress, I fear the headlight will slam into the fender.

I wish I could take a zip tie around the forks, take her for a spin, and hit the brakes hard, to find out how much the forks compress, but alas I cannot since she's in the state she's in.

Anyone want to try it on their bikes for me? Please?!

post #16 of 20 Old 08-06-2009, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

I think this can work with the stock triple!!

Looking at these mock-ups, the bottom of the headlight is exactly 4" above the top of the fender (when traveling inline with the forks). The distance between the bottom of the lower triple, and the top of the fork seals, is 4-1/2". So if I can shave off approximately 3/4"-1" off the ignition housing portion of the triple, then I can move the headlight up that extra inch or so.

post #17 of 20 Old 08-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Aquilifer

How about notching the headlight, is that at all feasible?

Rich

post #18 of 20 Old 08-06-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jura View Post
How about notching the headlight, is that at all feasible?

Rich
It's possible, I think, but I really don't think it's neccessary. Besides, I'd rather cut up the ignition housing on the triple, than cut up a $600 headlight!!

post #19 of 20 Old 08-07-2009, 04:11 AM
Aquilifer

Had no idea it was so costly, there would be no structural concerns though.

Good Luck
Rich

post #20 of 20 Old 08-10-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Any shop with a CNC mill can do it -- as long as you hand them a complete, ready to go CAD file with no glitches or questions. Oh, and they'll charge a setup fee proportional to the number of tool paths (roughing and finishing), setup changes, fixtures, man hours spent making a tool to make a tool to make a fixture ... you get the idea. Not bad if you are making 10,000 of them as they can amortize (that's accountantspeak for "hide") the setup charge by dividing it by the number of units. I needed 2 simple clamps, went to an NC machine shop and got a quote of $575. Of course if I wanted 1,000 they would have cost $17.29 each.

The question you need to ask is "Is it worth a grand to have a trick looking headlight?" If so, go for it.

Past that I can't be of much help. Oh, I can design it for you and send it to a stereolithography / prototyping shop in San Diego that promises fast turnaround, but they would need a finalized .stl design file to work from (which I can generate) to estimate the job.

Rob

P.S.: There, I fixed it for you.
Rob,
I've been thinking about this. When it comes time for me to do the USD fork swap, I would appreciate your help in designing it. This ain't gonna happen for at least another 6 months, though. But sooner or later, I will get it done.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode