Candidates for chopper/bobber project (UJM Content) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
WoW

Candidates for chopper/bobber project (UJM Content)

Unfortunately I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world, but recently I've been having a desire to buy an old UJM and turn it into a custom bike. Initially I wanted to do a Cafe Racer project, but now I'm leaning towards a chopper/bobber style bike.

I stumbled upon this website: XS650 Chopper Satisfying Your Yamaha XS 650 Chopper/Bobber Addiction! and really became inspired. However after searching craigslist and other online sale forums I've realized that these bikes are becoming harder and harder to find. They are either already half done (which I'd rather start with a bone stock unit) or are so super stock and clean people want an arm and a leg for them. So this leads me to start looking at what other models might be suitable for such a project. I definitely like the parallel twin motor that the XS650 has, and it is so small and simple.

Here are the other motorcycles I am considering, please feel free to post suggestions, or comments on why these choices would(n't) be suitable.

Kawasaki KZ440

Yamaha RD400 (although I think this bike is a 2-stroke?)

Suzuki GT500

I would say at this point that the XS650 is my first choice, but in the event I can't find one... Anyway post your thoughts.

Find me on all over the web:

www.vwvortex.com- spoolin215
www.honda-tech.com- germanhondaslayer
www.bodybuilding.com- forcefedfreak
www.triumphrat.net- forcefedfreak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

I bobbed an XS in college, they are great bikes to play with and have a bulletproof motor. I hear what you are saying about finding new ones with a clean title that are not made of gold but the reason I'd say keep looking is there is such a tremendous aftermarket for them and they were made so long it's hard to imagine they haven't been made for over 20 years. I'm looking for another myself as I'd love to do a full chop this time. It's fun to ride something you've mad yourself and make the Harley guys do a double take. Just look at Mikes XS and you can see you can still get new parts for them! There are XS forums that will also help you locate a full bike.

And if you do find one, I have two non titled (but clean) full parts bikes waiting on me to find one if you need something.

Two wheelin for the feelin.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Legalize it please?

There's a rag called "Retro" that gave me a couple of great ideas... now i need $$$! I loved the 70's Kawi 900 (kz?) like you said, the only ones i could find were hunks of dog crap or in showroom condition... Good luck!

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out

post #4 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igneale View Post
And if you do find one, I have two non titled (but clean) full parts bikes waiting on me to find one if you need something.
Very good to know, thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike919 View Post
There's a rag called "Retro" that gave me a couple of great ideas... now i need $$$! I loved the 70's Kawi 900 (kz?) like you said, the only ones i could find were hunks of dog crap or in showroom condition... Good luck!
That's the best part about these bikes though, is they are so cheap!

post #5 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 09:56 AM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

The RD is indeed a 2 stroke. It is a smallish bike also, like 3/4 size..... so if you are still on the 'roids you'll look silly on it.

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #6 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic11 View Post
The RD is indeed a 2 stroke. It is a smallish bike also, like 3/4 size..... so if you are still on the 'roids you'll look silly on it.
You know me, I pop those suckers like skittles, so I guess that's a no go.

post #7 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

Yea, that would sound a little strange pulling up on a chopper that sounds like a dirt bike. A neighbor has a KZ he chopped with straight pipes. It looks really great but kinda a waste of a 4 cylinder as I think their more suited to a tracker (which would be a fun route to go though).

You can rephase an XS fairly easily (haven't tried it but looks easy) and make it sound great and run smoother. Besides, having a kickstart brings something of a joy to me and looks bad ass.
YouTube - XS 650 Chopper Re-Phased!!

And whatever you choose realize unless you have a ton of cash and a crew you won't be riding in a month and when you are, they are old bikes, it takes love (and money) to keep them on the road. I made that mistake before.

post #8 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

I just saw the triumph rat link at the bottom. Why not look for an old Triumph Bonnie or Norton Commando as well if you could stand chopping a classic. Not as plentiful and no doubt more expensive but really look cool, would be more rare and are a little more accepted in certain (HD) circles.

post #9 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
WoW

Quote:
I just saw the triumph rat link at the bottom. Why not look for an old Triumph Bonnie or Norton Commando as well if you could stand chopping a classic. Not as plentiful and no doubt more expensive but really look cool, would be more rare and are a little more accepted in certain (HD) circles.
If I came across one of those bikes, I would definitely jump on it...however I think finding one of those will be even tougher than an XS.

Right now the KZ is looking like a strong candidate, but i kind of want something bigger than a 400cc.

Does anyone know if you can safely bore those motors?

post #10 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Immune

post #11 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtdgov View Post
Now if only that was on my side of the country! If I pay-pal you the $600 will you ride it out to NH for me? Thanks!

post #12 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

What's you budget? There are 2 (supposedly) titled stock xss and a 74 Norton in craigslist here for ~1500

post #13 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
WoW

Quote:
What's you budget? There are 2 (supposedly) titled stock xss and a 74 Norton in craigslist here for ~1500
I've got about $1,500 to get the project started, and plan on putting aside about 400/month to work on the bike. Obviously I'd rather spend 500 for the actual bike to have about a thousand to start working on it immediately.

post #14 of 17 Old 06-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefedfreak View Post
I've got about $1,500 to get the project started, and plan on putting aside about 400/month to work on the bike. Obviously I'd rather spend 500 for the actual bike to have about a thousand to start working on it immediately.
If you would want to arrange it (with one of the St. Louis craigslist bikes), I would be willing to throw it in the back of my truck and meet you in Columbus, OH or thereabouts. I enjoy watching these builds on XS650chopper.com. A Norton might be even more fun to watch. Good luck!

post #15 of 17 Old 06-20-2009, 08:06 AM
rider

check out this website. they make a bolt on hardtail for the Honda Spirit 750 (chain drive). along with some other accessories.

Ardcore Choppers : Specializing in custom metric frames, choppers and parts : Indianapolis, Indiana

post #16 of 17 Old 06-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Knucklehead Fabricator

I'd personally go with an 80's Goldwing... wmah ha ha

I've had a 650 chopper and it was a blast! the best part was I could find parts anywhere. Even if you have to spend a little more to get started, I think it's worth it. triumph or bsa would be sweet too, but good luck finding one. stick with the special.

winter sucks.

Opinions are like assholes... and you're an opinion.
post #17 of 17 Old 06-20-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

hi oz. i have a honda cl450 that is bobbed, it's awesome. bulletproof, quick, light, fun, not too hard to find parts... even in North Dakota! Oz, i get back from norway on monday night, wanna make a tuesday trip?

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode