A section I can get into! My chops - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 10-12-2006, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

A section I can get into! My chops

My first conversion...a 95 Shadow VLX, I traded a 1500 Vulcan straight up for it (or down depending on which way you look at it...since it was a lemon in the true sense of the word I say traded up) back in late 1998:

Here's the after shot:

10" over forks, 10" medium apes on fluted risers, stainless braided cables all around (pics still show rubber throttle lines), forward controls, lowered rear, etc etc etc too much to list.

Next up is a 92 VLX. No stock pic, I ripped into it as soon as it came home. But it wasn't much different than the 95 above, just picture that bike in red. Here it is as it stands now:

raked wide glide trees, 4" over forks, drag bar, hypercharger, slammed rear, side mount plate/tail light, etc etc etc again too much to list.

Current project is a 1985 250 Rebel (first year model). Bone stock when I got it (it's the one on the right)

Here it is now, about 80% complete:

7" over forks, 13" apehanger bars, lowered rear, self-fabbed upswept fishtail pipes, painted motor...can't really list the rest as it isn't on the bike yet. Still need the longer lines and cables (just got the electrical stuiff stretched onthe bars), lighting, upholstery on the solo seat pan, carb rebuild/rejet and a filter, and a chain. Then brake pads and tires once it's registered/insured.

I had a bobber project going but the motor was crap, so the bike (an 88 VLX) is resigned to spare parts fopr the ones that are on the road. Once the Reb is done I'll be hunting down another donor for a bobber.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-12-2006, 07:02 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Good work, Nice bikes, A friend of mine had a 250 Rebel as his first bike, a long long time ago

post #3 of 10 Old 11-11-2006, 08:46 PM
xmatt2strokex

good work there!

I like bobbers a lot.

m.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-15-2006, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks!

The Reb's a fun bike to ride and more fun to turn wrenches on, very minimalistic design.

I'm thinking of making the next project into a rigid. Unless said next project ends up being a 87-88 600 Hurricane dropping into my lap, got my eyes peeled for any one of the following for that idea:

Another VLX or Rebel
305 Scrambler or CB350
Yammie XS650

post #5 of 10 Old 11-16-2006, 06:10 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Although custom choppers are not my taste I still appreciate the skill and labor it takes to fabricate one. Nice work SS.

post #6 of 10 Old 11-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Unbannable

Are all the VLX's 650's?

Do they make good road bikes with the 5 speed?

I really like the bobber.

post #7 of 10 Old 11-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Brain stolen again?

The red 92 is tits!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #8 of 10 Old 11-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

I like that '92 VLX, nice work bud!

post #9 of 10 Old 11-16-2006, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks again! (most folks tend to lean towards the red one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Are all the VLX's 650's?

Do they make good road bikes with the 5 speed?

I really like the bobber.
It's a 600 (583cc actual displacement) with a four speed, a throwback to the era of when Harleys had traditional four speed trannies. It actually works well with the powerband, the engine has a good torque curve that meshes with it for minimal shifting. Perfect for that lazy cruise. Only downside to it is the engine gets buzzy after prolonged rides of 75+mph, but there are simple fixes for that. Granted it's no sportbike, but it chews up the curves far better than most cruisers despite its generous factory rake and trail, and keeps up with the big boys on the straights (as long as the big boys aren't trying to lose you).

Newer ones (99+) lack slightly in the upper powerband due to Honda dropping a carb, but the upside there is a wide variety of aftermarket airkits available for them (very little is readily available for 88-98 twin carb bikes).
post #10 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 10:53 PM

I was thinking a kawi Vulcan would make a nice traditional bobber as they are cheap and plentiful and have great lines. That Rebel is cool, I don't usually like raked 70's style chops but that one has real character.
I can't wait to see how you do a classic bobber. With all the cheap and reliable metric cruisers out there I would not be surprised to see a revival of the real chopper ethos. People used to chop Harleys because they were the cheapest and most common now it is all babyboomers with to much cash.
I would like to see the same type of kids who make stunt bikes out of old 600's start chopping Vulcans and shadows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode