87 Sportster 883 possibly? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 09-13-2008, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

87 Sportster 883 possibly?

So im going to check out this 87 HD sportster 883 loaded up with extras and goodies for 3k tomorrow. I don't really have any experience with harles but i know their reputation. So i was wondering if there was anything in particular you guys think i should look for in particular when i go to see it. Im really interested in getting a sportster and unfortunately i can only afford an older model. Plus this one has all the upgrades i was looking to do anyways. Heres some pics and a link to the CL ad:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/835010261.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sportster2.jpg (54.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg sportster3.jpg (49.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 010109011614010301200809106cf661b62ec55fb3560080d8.jpg (9.4 KB, 44 views)

-Pat McG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Hope your dental work is tight! I had a 2003 883 Sporty and it like to shake the fillings out of my head. Sold it after 6 months.
Lots of vibes - mirrors are useless due to shakin'
Wasn't my cup of tea.

post #3 of 16 Old 09-14-2008, 05:51 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Yes - ask him if he has any Japanese bikes for sale.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Brain stolen again?

Looks interesting if you get rid of the rigid rear. I think you could do some interesting stuff with that bike.

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #5 of 16 Old 09-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 

that thing is gonna murder your back. you can find a much better one for about the same price if you look. personally i would leave that alone and i love harleys

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #6 of 16 Old 09-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Cornicen

883 are so slow they are not even fun. I have ridden mopeds that accelerated better. But, they can be made into a 1200 farely cheap.

Motorusher formally known as DirtySanchez919.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-15-2008, 07:45 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

yeah they can be made to go fast but don't hit any bumps at 60+mph or it's all over the place...plus no range w/ the peanut tank

but it is no doubt a low cost entry level harley that will get you down the road, it's just how it gets you down the road that might be the issue

post #8 of 16 Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

My one experience riding a Sportster 883 was disappointing. It was an '05 with the new "smoother" engine, still vibrated badly and had no power at all. Cool looking bike, but I agree there are other Harleys out there that will give you more bang for the buck.

post #9 of 16 Old 09-15-2008, 01:47 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalchoppers View Post
. But, they can be made into a 1200 farely cheap.

Real cheap, like 600 smackers ! Just make sure , if you do get this , to get the right carb when doing the big bore kit - if yo uuse the stock carb, your really limiting yourself -

post #10 of 16 Old 09-21-2008, 03:51 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Real cheap, like 600 smackers ! Just make sure , if you do get this , to get the right carb when doing the big bore kit - if yo uuse the stock carb, your really limiting yourself -
i bought a 1200 kit(bored barrels,pistons and gaskets) off fleabay
for US$230. piece a piss to install ya self.

they are a heap of fun to ride.

post #11 of 16 Old 11-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

the 1986-1990 models were the 4 speed bikes, and NOTHING wrong with the 4 speed over 5 speed, they just crammed another gear between the 1-4 and called it a 5 speed, the end gear is still 1 to 1.

The problem with the 4 speed sporties is the Alternator, they mounted it behind the clutch basket and they are known to throw the magnets off and trash the stator and to replace the rotor calls for a new clutch basket at the tunes of 350 bucks plus a rotor. I have glued the magnets back in if they were not broken to smitherines but that is about the ONLY difference in the sporties up until they went rubber mount.

If bought, do preventive maintence and remove the clutch basket and clean it REAL Good and use a putty type epoxy and fill the voids between the magnets to help them stay in place.

I put ALOT of miles on a 88 sporty I bought out of Korea while stationed in Okinawa back in the 90's, and that island was small!

post #12 of 16 Old 11-19-2008, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

FIgured i was due to update this thread and people might not mind reading about something other then a 919,

So i bought the sporty and i absolutely love it, I dumped about a grand into it cause the stator died out and needed a new clutch hub much like florida mountaintop predicted. But now i got it running like a top and it really puts out much more then i expected. As for the vibration it is not all that bad, i have a pretty good seat on mine and with the forward controls only my feet get some of the buzz. Even though the vibes arent extreme i still plan on getting a bar snake or something because i want to do the 1200 conversion on it over the winter.

Other plans include a possible olive drab green paint scheme and taping the exhaust for a old school possibly military inspired theme who knows

-Pat McG
post #13 of 16 Old 11-19-2008, 03:59 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmicg View Post
Other plans include a possible olive drab green paint scheme and taping the exhaust for a old school possibly military inspired theme who knows

That sounds really cool. Keep us updated. Anything anti-chrome on a harley gets my attention and respect.

post #14 of 16 Old 11-19-2008, 05:20 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Awesome, glad to hear ya liking it. post some pics when ya get a chance. Get a good aftermarket 1200 kit with lightweight pistons that is well balanced and you will prob have less vibes than the stock 883, and put out more power than a stock 1200. Install good polyurethane Riser bushins can help too. The Kuryakyn Iso grips and pegs are pretty good too for transfering less vibration.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #15 of 16 Old 11-20-2008, 07:30 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

For all thier faults, they can be a fun bike ! Enjoy and ride safe !

post #16 of 16 Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmicg View Post
So i bought the sporty and i absolutely love it, I dumped about a grand into it cause the stator died out and needed a new clutch hub much like florida mountaintop predicted. But now i got it running like a top and it really puts out much more then i expected. As for the vibration it is not all that bad, i have a pretty good seat on mine and with the forward controls only my feet get some of the buzz. Even though the vibes arent extreme i still plan on getting a bar snake or something because i want to do the 1200 conversion on it over the winter.

Dang, it is a common thing, but I did not mean to jinx it!

The best 1200 conversion is just do the weisco dish top piston kit, and leave the heads stock. It is just a simple bore and you are good to go. I have extra jugs if you want a set, then you can buy the pistons, get them bored the 1/2" and have all the gaskets ready and in 3 hours, you are up and running with a 1200. If you plan on cams, I recommend the V4 Andrews over the larger V8, but it is up to you, I have ran them all, and the V4 are the best all around I have ran.

I am glad you enjoy the Sporty, I enjoyed the crap outta mine. I just tired of the frame being so small, and I could not afford another bike at the time, so I sold it to go bigger. I have a old Ironhead engine in a box, and a friend gave me a frame with title, so it looks like I will be doing a bike in the near future along with the 42 Flathead WLA, and the 53 Servi-car, and doing another bottomend on my Springer.

If you need any tech info, just let me know, I can PM you my number and we can talk.

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode