V-ROD - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 07-04-2008, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

V-ROD

I'll admit it. I always had an affection for the V-ROD. It may an overpriced under performing cruiser compared to some others, but I always liked the look. It's a polarizing machine in the Harley community and elsewhere. It's often found in the "Best Looking Bikes" and "Ugliest Looking Bikes" threads of many message boards. But no one argues that its Porsche-born Evolution engine can get up and go.

My wife was brought up with Harleys. She has recently confided that she has always wished I owned a Harley. The V-ROD is the only HD I'd ever consider owning. It's had me thinking that maybe I've been a bit selfish over the years, always owning bikes that only interested me. There isn't a single bike I've owned that she likes, except for the Wing. And it's rare that we ride the big GL, having only put 4000 miles on it since purchase in 2004.

So along comes this email recently from one of our local Harley dealers. Slashing prices on the VRSC models and the Glides. Already reduced by thousands, they want offers. I guess between the economy and that the riding season is nearly at the half way point here in the NE, they need to get rid of inventory.

I'm not seriously considering a move. Just out doing some research, reading, and getting a feel for this machine. They have made improvements to it in the last couple years -- 5 gallon tank, re-located the ignition, Brembo brakes with ABS, slipper clutch, etc. So I thought I'd throw it out here for the masses to poke fun of me, or the V-ROD, or Harley, or good, bad, and ugly about this Harley model. 125HP, 84 ft lbs, 600 pounds, 67" wheelbase, 34° rake, 4.5" trail.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-04-2008, 05:22 AM
Milites Gregarius

I got ruined on Harley's after buying a new '79 "lowrider". I had already owned a few "rice-burners", and thought the Harley would be a change. It was a change, but a bad one. It leaked oil, fell over on the kickstand, and was an absolute turd when it came to performance, especially after coming off of large Kaw's. It was in the shop more than I care to admit. It lasted about 6 months for me, and it was gone. Back to the Jap's for me!
I recently bought a 919 after being off of bikes for over 20 years, and I love it. I'm certain Harley's have gotten better, as all bikes have, but I'll pass...

post #3 of 24 Old 07-04-2008, 05:41 AM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I rode one at the Marysville HD dealer, last time I went to Deal's Gap.....

I'd buy one tommorrow, if I had the room, and the $$$$

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster

post #4 of 24 Old 07-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
...My wife was brought up with Harleys. She has recently confided that she has always wished I owned a Harley. The V-ROD is the only HD I'd ever consider owning. It's had me thinking that maybe I've been a bit selfish over the years, always owning bikes that only interested me. There isn't a single bike I've owned that she likes, except for the Wing. And it's rare that we ride the big GL, having only put 4000 miles on it since purchase in 2004...
Ken, the V-Rod is a great bike. But, it's really not a good 2-up ride. If you want a decent cruiser for a solo.

There are better H-D's for crusing/touring for 2-up. Again, another offer. You are welcome to try my H-D for 2-up. I'll even make certain the NOS is full in t both bottles. Additionally, if you want pure poser ... take the custom out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Baddaddy View Post
I got ruined on Harley's after buying a new '79 "lowrider". I had already owned a few "rice-burners", and thought the Harley would be a change. It was a change, but a bad one. It leaked oil, fell over on the kickstand, and was an absolute turd when it came to performance, especially after coming off of large Kaw's. It was in the shop more than I care to admit. It lasted about 6 months for me, and it was gone. Back to the Jap's for me!
I recently bought a 919 after being off of bikes for over 20 years, and I love it. I'm certain Harley's have gotten better, as all bikes have, but I'll pass...
1Baddaddy, the AMF days for Harley were horrendous! Things have been so very different for a long time now. I can say the my H-D's have been as reliable as my Hondas.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #5 of 24 Old 07-04-2008, 07:03 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I love the look of the V-Rod, and the new Night Rod, as well. I'd own one if I had the cheddar just based upon the beauty of it.

post #6 of 24 Old 07-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 

ken when you are in my neck this summer the road king is yours to try. it has some engine work done to it but it is very comfortable and snappy for a nearly 1/2 ton bike. it isn't a honda but it's not supposed to be.

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #7 of 24 Old 07-04-2008, 08:18 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I agree Ken, I like the V-Rod as well, have always thought if I was going to own a Harley that would be it. I think the polished silver ones are very cool looking too and there are tons of performance mods available that can make it into a beast.

post #8 of 24 Old 07-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I appreciate the cruiser's look, so we rented a honda shadow 750 for 2up on HI. We concluded cruisers were not safe enough given long WB, relaxed rake angle, HEAVY, and passenger weight over the rear axle. Their 2up lethargic handling was very sobering, so forget about panic crash avoidance.

Solution: Ken you need to buy 2 Vrods (his and hers!)

post #9 of 24 Old 07-04-2008, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Good stuff, thanks guys.

RC - aside from the seat, why isn't the V-ROD well suited for 2-up? I've seen an HD seat (Sundowner?) for the V-ROD that is made just for 2-up riding. Seems like there is more than enough power, so I'm wondering what other shortcomings there are for 2-up. Thanks for the offer by the way.

jd31 - I've spent many miles on my Dad's neighbor's Road King in Florida -- great for winter withdrawal but not my cup of tea. You mentioned some engine work, 110?

2 V-RODS, Dream - ha! Even with the slashed prices (which are chopped from 15K to 11K by the way), I'd have a fatal anxiety attack writing a check for that much money to Harley. I could deal with riding a cruiser, part time, as long as it had some gitty up to it, made the wife happy, and got me lucky that night. But three bikes is out of the question. So if I made the plunge, something would have to go.

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #10 of 24 Old 07-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Good stuff, thanks guys.

2 V-RODS, Dream - ha! Even with the slashed prices (which are chopped from 15K to 11K by the way), I'd have a fatal anxiety attack writing a check for that much money to Harley. I could deal with riding a cruiser, part time, as long as it had some gitty up to it, made the wife happy, and got me lucky that night. But three bikes is out of the question. So if I made the plunge, something would have to go.
My pleasure to help out! I see cruisers as mostly solo, with a small rear pad for 2up emergencies to take home the bar prize. Rent and try 2up many days before you buy. Doubt a cruiser enhances mojo over a sporty-standard. Good luck on your exploration!

post #11 of 24 Old 07-04-2008, 01:34 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Well, I like the v-rod, unlike a lot of HD guys, would love to have one, great power, the street rod(discontinued but not to hard to find) version had the best handling of the bunch. Most people that get one really like them, just not accepted by the standard HD crowd, just like the FXR series. I have seen them set up decently for touring, 2up. Definitely need to chang the seat for 2-up, and I think pillion peg placement is a bit cramped stock, not sure what the options are for that.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #12 of 24 Old 07-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Tirone

a couple of mates who are hardcore harley fanatics have seen the
light and bought vrods.
Lotsa power compared to normal harleys.
And brakes that actually work.
As said not so good for two up.
Less room for passengers.

Can wheelstand good to.

post #13 of 24 Old 07-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

How about this metric 2up cruiser? Efficient belt drive, liquid cooled, wet clutch, FI, 42MPG. Ready to go!

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/...27/0/home.aspx

post #14 of 24 Old 07-05-2008, 01:25 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

I agree with you. I want that Night-Rod so bad.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #15 of 24 Old 07-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Ken,

Did you notice the fork angle is quite relaxed on those vrods? 34o versus 26o on their reference Roadking! That degradation causes lumbering turns.

post #16 of 24 Old 07-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Track whore

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
How about this metric 2up cruiser? Efficient belt drive, liquid cooled, wet clutch, FI, 42MPG. Ready to go!

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/...27/0/home.aspx
eh... it's nice, but compared to a V-Rod, it has NO power! Only thing Yamaha I'd suggest in a V-Rod's place is either the Warrior or the new Raider. (and i've ridden all three!) we've had two '03 V-Rods come thru the shop on trade and it is definitely not a typical Harley. Just a bit narrow for my tastes.

I'd sell my soul for a trackday and some tires...
post #17 of 24 Old 07-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblur View Post
eh... it's nice, but compared to a V-Rod, it has NO power! Only thing Yamaha I'd suggest in a V-Rod's place is either the Warrior or the new Raider. (and i've ridden all three!) we've had two '03 V-Rods come thru the shop on trade and it is definitely not a typical Harley. Just a bit narrow for my tastes.
I drooled on those, but nixed them for being old school airheads. Their impressive performance may be worth cooking YOUR legs.

How short of a passenger finds a cruiser's squatting position comfortable? I attempted to sell my wife on one as a second bike, but she wasn't at all impressed. No cruiser mojo points.

post #18 of 24 Old 07-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Sat on a suspiciously low mile, several year old, overpriced vrod.

post #19 of 24 Old 07-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Ken, With all of back ground experience, I think the HD magic of the V-rod would wear off in 2-3 months and it would start collection dust in the shadow of your other bikes.

post #20 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

It was all for a good cause, the wife. And I guess because I've been riding solo so much this year and this month is her Birthday and our 19th wedding anniversary, I was feeling a little guilty. But we're packing up the Wing for Lake George next weekend and that will cure the ills.

The V-ROD is a fascinating bike, well the newer generation Street Rod is anyway. And maybe some day we'll have one, but not this month

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #21 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 05:27 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
It was all for a good cause, the wife. And I guess because I've been riding solo so much this year and this month is her Birthday and our 19th wedding anniversary, I was feeling a little guilty. But we're packing up the Wing for Lake George next weekend and that will cure the ills.
Ken,

19th! Congrats on reaching such an impressive goal!

As sensitive of a thought it is to "get a Vrod for her", she'd appreciate other tokens of gratitude much more. Like pulling the backyard weeds.

post #22 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
Ken,

19th! Congrats on reaching such an impressive goal!

As sensitive of a thought it is to "get a Vrod for her", she'd appreciate other tokens of gratitude much more. Like pulling the backyard weeds.
Well, actually, I was thinking that if I set aside all the money I would have spent on a V-ROD and mods for the same, I can buy a spectacular 20th anniversary gift next year. I'm betting she'd take diamond earrings over a Harley. Wonder if sporty or kristen would agree?

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #23 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Well, actually, I was thinking that if I set aside all the money I would have spent on a V-ROD and mods for the same, I can buy a spectacular 20th anniversary gift next year. I'm betting she'd take diamond earrings over a Harley.
Including your entire mod budget you could afford the hope diamond for each ear!

post #24 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 07:34 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Ken - Be patient. Soon, you will be able to buy a V-RodGusta. You can tell everyone you bought and MV cruiser...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode