Tune up new old Vulcan 800 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 3 Old 09-12-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Tune up new old Vulcan 800

Hey everyone...one of my buddies just bought a new (old) 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 800. He got a great deal on it. Two previous owners, both older gentlemen. The original owner put about 5000 miles on it, and the second only put 600. However, the 600 miles was put on over 6 years, so it hasn't exactly been ridden frequently. I rode it home for him because he's not comfortable with highway riding yet, and it seemed to run pretty well. The only thing I noticed is that the previous owner said to keep the choke pulled 1/2 way out all the time. After it warmed up, it was fine, but died once when I was idling at a stop sign.

So, question is, what steps should he take on an older bike that has sat for a while to tune her back up. I'm guessing the stalling at idle is more than just idle adjustment, but maybe it's that easy. Just wondering if there's any fuel system cleaner or anything that should be put through it, and just general maintenance. Everything I looked at looked to be in good shape (chain, brakes, tires, etc)

Thanks in advance

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Will fly for food.

Garage
A friend of mine swears by Seafoam. It worked wonders on his Vulcan Nomad once he stopped riding it (he bought a Valkyrie and parked the Nomad). He said just add the Seafoam to every tank and run the piss out of the bike. It took the Nomad from a crappier running state from what you are describing to a seemingly tuned-up and ready-to-go machine!

My '03 Shadow had 6k miles on the clock when I got her in April of 2011, and had been sitting about a year before I took ownership. A few tanks of Mid-grade and Seafoam added in had her running like a top in no time!

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #3 of 3 Old 09-12-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipinoaviator View Post
A friend of mine swears by Seafoam. It worked wonders on his Vulcan Nomad once he stopped riding it (he bought a Valkyrie and parked the Nomad). He said just add the Seafoam to every tank and run the piss out of the bike. It took the Nomad from a crappier running state from what you are describing to a seemingly tuned-up and ready-to-go machine!

My '03 Shadow had 6k miles on the clock when I got her in April of 2011, and had been sitting about a year before I took ownership. A few tanks of Mid-grade and Seafoam added in had her running like a top in no time!
Thanks for the tip. I will check that out. Gets rave reviews on Amazon, so that's a good sign.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode