Trip from Houston to Orlando - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 3 Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Trip from Houston to Orlando

Does any body have tips for my planned trip. This is my first long trip. I am riding a 2011 kawasaki vulcan voyager 1700 abs.
All tips are welcome like route, safety etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Milites Gregarius

I've done the trip from Dallas to Orlando many times. But it was always in my car. I'm sure you could find some routes that don't have you staying on I-10 the whole time and that would make the drive a lot more pleasant!

post #3 of 3 Old 03-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Tirone

Garage
Kawavovu,

You have already done the best thing by choosing a good bike for long distance traveling. Those Vulcans can eat up the miles comfortably.

Here are a few things I would suggest based on a few long distance rides I have taken.

1. Maps and GPS are good things to take. I say both, because technology is well,....technology. It will fail you at the most inopportune moment.

2. Cell phone is a given.

3. Although your bike may be new and run like a top, I would scope out where the dealerships/repair shops are along your route. Having bike trouble is not like having car trouble. You will only be able to get repairs made/buy parts at certain locations. In addition, try to travel during weekdays. Most bike shops close early on Saturday and are closed Sunday and Monday. Bikes (stock) are pretty bulletproof these days. Things like sudden generator failure/chucking master links are problems we haven't worried about since the 80's. But you know the saying, Sh*t happens.

4. Carry wet-wipes or towelettes to clean face-shields and headlights. Especially if you will be riding in the dark. Every bug in the south will target you on this ride! The wipe cloths found at gas station dispensers are like sandpaper on a face-shield.

5. Pay attention to the weather. Even with rain-gear on it sucks to be surprised by a thunderstorm that starts dropping marble, or worse, golf ball sized hail. Being from Texas, you know what I'm talking about!

6. You should be going over your bike periodically to check for loose bolts, seepage, etc, anyway. But look a little closer prior to a long trip.

Most of it is just common sense. But long trips on a bike take a little more planning than loading up the SUV.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode