Test rode a FJR1300 today - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 06-21-2012, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
Test rode a FJR1300 today

So I stopped by my local dealership yesterday to pick up some riding pants they had on sale. Had been mulling it over for a while and decided to bite the bullet and pick up a pair.

While I was there, they had a used 05 FJR1300 with only 2,000 miles on it. I got to talking with one salesmen and found out they only wanted $7500 for it. Since it was getting late in the day, I told the salesman I would come back today and take it for a test ride.

So today I stop by the dealership on my way home from work and take it out for about 30 miles. Did a little of this and a little of that... I really wasn't impressed. I did notice that did have the factory nut toasters... but what bothered me more was that I was cruising down the highway and I was sweating under my jacket... like I was at a standstill in traffic. Seems like the faring does too good of a job, or I'm just used to riding naked.

The bike is also surprisingly quiet. It's been a while since I've ridden a bike with stock exhaust. When I twisted the throttle the bike did pick up and go, but I missed the roar of the exhaust.

When my ride was done I wasn't too impressed. I really wanted to love this bike as the 9er get a little cramped after a couple hundred miles. Everyone I ride with has either cruisers or Goldwings, so I want something that is better for a longer haul without giving up too much of the sporty feel.

It's funny though... With all the complaints I had above, when I got back on my 9er, I realized how much more comfortable the FJR was.

I'm torn. The FJR would make a nice addition to my stable, but I'm not sure how I feel about getting something that would 'grow on me'. If I got the FJR, I wish I could keep the 9er, but I've got no extra room in the garage.

Hoping someone can chime in with some input/experience with the FJR. I love the look of the 9er and the feeling that I'm on an (almost) sport bike, but there aren't a lot of places around here where I can open her up and let it rip.

[This space for rent]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Hey Crakerjac,

I own a 08 FJR and have also had the 05, yes you are correct about the built in nut warmer on the 05. You could ride that thing naked in the winter and still be warm.. In 06 they made some big changes that helped a lot and a few refinements on each model since. Mine has no heat issue at all. Yes the fairing does block a lot of air but you'd be surprised how much you'll appreciate it on your first cool morning or evening ride home. I ride ATGATT and use vented gear in the summer and it works awesome. I just did a 900 mile tour in NY of the Adirondacks and loved every minute of being on that bike. I have done some suspension work and it's a night and day difference in twisties, rock solid well over legal speeds.
Shout back if your looking for details on the bike..
Good Luck!

post #3 of 11 Old 06-22-2012, 05:48 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I have an 04 FJR1300. I've added the heat insulation kit that goes under the tank, made a huge difference in riding comfort. Also added Helibar risers to my handlebars, along with a Cal Sci windshield and a Sargent seat, it's an extremely comfortable and competent bike. I did a 2000 mile, 10 state southern ride last summer in 100* weather and while it was hot, it was still a blast.

Mine is for sale if you're interested, only has about 6000 miles and is set up just right, would sell it cheaper than that 05 you're looking at.

Here it is loaded up for my southern tour last year...

Also used to have an '07, while the 2nd gen is certainly more refined, I like the 1st gen better, it's lighter, faster and seems more sporting to me.

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L

post #4 of 11 Old 06-22-2012, 11:37 AM
yzarc mi os

I swapped fro a 919 to an 03 fjr and the only thing I miss is the looks and mabye the ability to hoon a little more. But the comfort luggage and power far out way the those for me. Really the only thing the fjr can't do as well i've found as my old 9er is full lean to fell lean at speed i find I hold higher corner speeds with the fjr and that it is much more confidence inspiring than the 9er.

I wouldn't go back if i had to have one or the other. You get some odd looks with the bags on and stretching the needle down the interstate especially from the sport bike crowd.

LDH was right when he said rocket powered sofa.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-22-2012, 11:42 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Yep, my FJR corners like it's on rails, very confidence inspiring. I put new Michelin PR2's on it before my trip last summer and it only got better, love the way it handles! Going to get it out and washed up this evening, will post up a for sale thread soon.

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #6 of 11 Old 06-22-2012, 12:08 PM
yzarc mi os

Mine has bridgestone bt023GT's i am very impressed with it's handling i have a set of dunlop roadsmart 2s in the garage thanks to the bike night last night. the 023's did alot better than the set of pr2's it came with but to their defense they were flat in the middle and the rear had more slime in it than i've ever seen. They didn't seem to carry the weight of the bike near as well as the bridgestones do. I also never checked to see if he had the B series tires with the higher load rating.

post #7 of 11 Old 06-22-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
^^ I might be interested.... Just need to see more pictures of the 04. I like the color of the 04 way better than the 05.

Indianapolis is about 600 miles away... Would just need to figure out how to get there and I could just ride the bike back home.

[This space for rent]
post #8 of 11 Old 06-22-2012, 12:10 PM
yzarc mi os

I do yurn for soething much ore nible and faster but for know the fjr is the jack of all trades that my single street bike garage needs. when the other house sell the aloud amount of street bikes will triple at least so we'll see what happens.

post #9 of 11 Old 06-22-2012, 12:13 PM
yzarc mi os

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
^^ I might be interested.... Just need to see more pictures of the 04. I like the color of the 04 way better than the 05.

Indianapolis is about 600 miles away... Would just need to figure out how to get there and I could just ride the bike back home.
If it can be arranged i would just fly in to pic it up i did 400 on mine after driving 400 with a friend to get it the ride back was better than the ride their. and sbeau's looks to be setup even better for the long haul. i bet you make better time home than you do their counting all the time spent in the airport.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-22-2012, 12:32 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:

I'll get it cleaned up and take fresh pics tonight. That color is called Cerulean Silver, very classy looking and doesn't show dirt. 600 miles is a relatively easy ride home, I did 775 straight through to Pensacola from Indy last summer. PM me your email address if you want and I'll send you more info on the bike.

Here's a thread discussing my FJR: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ics-19230.html

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #11 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Tirone

Thumbs up

Quote:
So I stopped by my local dealership yesterday to pick up some riding pants they had on sale. Had been mulling it over for a while and decided to bite the bullet and pick up a pair.

While I was there, they had a used 05 FJR1300 with only 2,000 miles on it. I got to talking with one salesmen and found out they only wanted $7500 for it. Since it was getting late in the day, I told the salesman I would come back today and take it for a test ride.

So today I stop by the dealership on my way home from work and take it out for about 30 miles. Did a little of this and a little of that... I really wasn't impressed. I did notice that did have the factory nut toasters... but what bothered me more was that I was cruising down the highway and I was sweating under my jacket... like I was at a standstill in traffic. Seems like the faring does too good of a job, or I'm just used to riding naked.

The bike is also surprisingly quiet. It's been a while since I've ridden a bike with stock exhaust. When I twisted the throttle the bike did pick up and go, but I missed the roar of the exhaust.

When my ride was done I wasn't too impressed. I really wanted to love this bike as the 9er get a little cramped after a couple hundred miles. Everyone I ride with has either cruisers or Goldwings, so I want something that is better for a longer haul without giving up too much of the sporty feel.

It's funny though... With all the complaints I had above, when I got back on my 9er, I realized how much more comfortable the FJR was.

I'm torn. The FJR would make a nice addition to my stable, but I'm not sure how I feel about getting something that would 'grow on me'. If I got the FJR, I wish I could keep the 9er, but I've got no extra room in the garage.

Hoping someone can chime in with some input/experience with the FJR. I love the look of the 9er and the feeling that I'm on an (almost) sport bike, but there aren't a lot of places around here where I can open her up and let it rip.
Give that FJR a chance , it will grow on you . I have had 56 bike's and i must say that the FJR with some good pipes is the best bike i've ever owned. And the nut toaster may not be a bad thing in the winter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode