Tempted -- ST1300 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Tempted -- ST1300

I've always wanted one, have been tempted by several, now this one shows up on CL...seems like a very good price for the year and miles, what do you guys think?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/738257723.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 05:52 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

I'd be tempted too. Looks great at that price.

post #3 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 06:04 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Buy it! That's what I want for my next bike...prob in a few years..for now 9'er is great for me.

post #4 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Yes, I too am bit by the st bug also. I resolved to fully burn out the 919 before upgrading my 2up touring capability. 17,500 miles and counting. once I get about 30-40k on the 919 its ST time!

post #5 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 06:36 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Looks like a great price for such a great bike. Jump on that one if you can.

post #6 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Just what I need, encouragement to go put a serious dent in the savings account!

Just spoke with Mitch...he's the second owner, has only had the bike about a year, has a Harley as well and just hasn't ridden the ST as much as he thought he would. Said it's never been laid down, in excellent condition, the only thing he's done to it is install handlebar risers because he wanted to sit more upright, which could be easily removed.

I'm going to check it out either later this afternoon after I leave MotoGP practice, or if I have too much fun today at the track, I'll go check it out in the morning.

My thought process has gone through several stages on this...first I worried that I wouldn't ride it much since I have the 919 and Gin has the 599 and her little Vulcan. She loves to ride, so I thought will she ever want to be on the back of a sport touring bike? Then I thought that it sure would be nice to have a quiet and smooth road bike for longer trips, love the 9'er but I've made it into a loud snarling streetfighter, best suited for ripping around town and short trips on twisty roads, not cruising on the freeway to another state. Then Gin says she'd be happy to go on longer rides as a passenger, to Iowa to see my Mom, to Ohio to visit her family, Michigan to my brother's lake house, etc. Then I think that the 919 and the ST fill totally different bike needs and why not have a naked streetfighter and a full dress touring bike? Then I think that I'm thinking too much and better just go ride the thing and see if I even like it.

post #7 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Before getting 9er I briefly lusted over ST13... I finally straddled one and was shocked it weighed so much...~700lb. I found a review that measured its 60mph-0 stop distance on maximum traction pavement >+20' of 9er. "You can't change the laws of physics!" I have always been impressed with 9er's 2up panic stopping distance.

post #8 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
Before getting 9er I lusted over them... I straddled one on the floor and was shocked it weighed so much...~700lb. I found a review that measured its 60mph-0 stop distance on maximum traction pavement >+20' of 9ers. "You can't change the laws of physics!" I have always been impressed with 9er's 2up panic stopping distance. Check out Kawi's C14...
Oh, I know full well it's a heavy bike, and therefore will not stop nearly as well as my 400lb 919. But my 919 is also not a comfortable 2 up bike for long distance touring, which the ST excels at. Funny when talking with the owner, he raved about how good the brakes are compared to his Harley!

I've never been drawn to the Concours for some reason, just doesn't do it for me like the ST. I do love FJR's, but at heart I'm a Honda guy so there I am back to the ST.

post #9 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Kelley Blue Book retail value = $8250

NADA average retail value = $7,235

post #10 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 07:36 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

The ST was my first choice until I discovered the 9er. It's got my vote.

I've recently fallen in love with the C14 though so it currently has the "next bike" crown.

Keep us updated.

post #11 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Oh, I know full well it's a heavy bike, and therefore will not stop nearly as well as my 400lb 919. But my 919 is also not a comfortable 2 up bike for long distance touring, which the ST excels at.
I stiffened the fork to 0.75kg and changed the seat to transform 9er into a mini-ST. Granted there is no perfect bike, but I am a firm believer bikes must be light. We survived four near-miss panic stops on the 9er, which if riding the PORKY ST13 ALL would have ended BAD.

post #12 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I stiffened the fork to 0.75kg and changed the seat to transform 9er into a mini-ST. There is no perfect bike, but I am a firm believer bikes must be light. I survived four near-miss panic stops on the 9er, which if riding the porky ST13 ALL would have ended BAD.
Point well taken, but I went a different route with my 919, it's strictly a streetfighter now, no pretension of being a two up pleasure ride at this point. That's what my vision of the 919 is all about, sure it can be made into whatever you want, comfy seats, bags and windscreens can be added, but at its core it's designed to be a naked bike, IMHO.

I'm lucky enough to have the storage space and means to have more than one bike, so my modified 919 fills one need, the ST would fill a totally different need. Also, the ST is relatively light compared to a Goldwing or any of the big tourers or cruisers, so I'm not too worried about the weight.

post #13 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Just do it!

Add me to the list of "that will be my next bike." I've always liked those.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #14 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Point well taken, but I went a different route with my 919, it's strictly a streetfighter now, no pretension of being a two up pleasure ride at this point. That's what my vision of the 919 is all about, sure it can be made into whatever you want, comfy seats, bags and windscreens can be added, but at its core it's designed to be a naked bike, IMHO.

I'm lucky enough to have the storage space and means to have more than one bike, so my modified 919 fills one need, the ST would fill a totally different need. Also, the ST is relatively light compared to a Goldwing or any of the big tourers or cruisers, so I'm not too worried about the weight.
The other advantage of a naked bike is instant wind feedback to keep your speed in check. With a ST13 full-fairing ride you will be zooming down the road at triple digits. Check out ST alumni Ken's medium-ST Bandit. It is very enticing!

post #15 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Well this old article should didn't help disuade me...

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/26jun...003st1300.html

post #16 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Hi Scott,

As a former ST13 owner, I'm happy to chime in. I rode this one for two years:

As you know, it's heavy. Very heavy. It can be a real handful at parking lot speeds. They are also known to put out a good bit of heat. Last word of caution, google on 'st1300 high speed weave' and learn why speed lovers have been turned off by the big ST and why some police departments have been getting rid of their new fleet of ST's.

Aside from the possible downsides, the ST is a very comfortable, very smooth, mile muncher. It's not a Goldwing, but it's dam near close to it. Compared to the C14 and the FJR, the ST13 is a sport-TOURER where the others are SPORT-tourers. It's bulletproof in every way and the tipover wings are one of the best engineering marvels they ever made.

If you check this one out, check and see if it has ABS. ABS is really nice on a bike of this size. And in 2003 ABS was an option that was packaged with the adjustable windshield. So it either has ABS or the owner added the aftermarket adjustment motor for the windscreen. Also, there was a wiring recall done on the 2003 models. The owner and/or a run of the VIN will tell if it's been done.

Finally, know that these bikes are for sale every week over on st-owners.com like this one: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41810 and the price you are looking at is fair. Don't be too hung up on mileage. Dozens are well over 150K. I'd be more tempted by a nicely farkled ABS model than a low mileage one for slightly less money.

Good luck and let us know how you make out with it!

-Ken

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #17 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

sbeau, if you plan on doing any serious distance the ST can't be beat! The C14 and FJR are nice, but I find the leg room a bit cramped for me. The ST just fits well. It fits me well at least.

Though, I thought that I would like a C14 or FJR. The last few months of distance riding have put the ST on top of the list.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #18 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 09:14 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 5

So how tall are you? I had an ST1300 for a couple years and have about the same to say as Ken except I felt that the reach to the bars was a little to long. I'm 5'9 and would have liked a shorter reach to the bars. You can get bar extenders for it. You really do feel the weight in parking lots.For 2 up riding it's great but don't tip it 2 up in a parking lot or down you'll go.

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it."
post #19 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
Though, I thought that I would like a C14 or FJR. The last few months of distance riding have put the ST on top of the list.
Your KLR cross-country perspective is a flashback to my delirious AK trip on a Hurricane. I immediately over corrected with a zx11. My happiest day was trading it for 9er.

post #20 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 09:52 AM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Your KLR cross-country perspective is a flashback to my delirious AK trip on a Hurricane. I immediately over corrected with a zx11. My happiest day was trading it for 9er.
I'll always keep my XX. It's a great all-around road bike. Decent in the twisties. A great day tripper that can but the miles on. Fast enough. Etc.

I could have converted it to more touring by lowering the pegs and putting on some risers, but that's not what it's about. Burning miles in the saddle go by fast for me than in a cage. Though the Gold Wing is great. The FJR and C14 excellent bikes. IMHO, you can't beat the ST for eating miles and keeping the fun factor exciting enough. The only other choice for me is the GS. But, again ... IMHO.

post #21 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Track whore

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

Took an ST from ATL to Nashville last summer with my girl. Ride was very VERY comfy! Avoided the highways as much as possible and in the mountains that thing is a champ! Handled very easily for a 700lb bike. Had one hardcore 2 lane mountain road that I would have ridden 5-6 times on the CBR and the ST was brilliant! Only gripe I had was what Ken mentioned with the heat... It will ROAST your calves... as in, wear tall boots! I did notice the "speed weave" a bit, wasn't a major problem, but it was there.

I'd sell my soul for a trackday and some tires...
post #22 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
I'll always keep my XX. It's a great all-around road bike. Decent in the twisties. A great day tripper that can but the miles on. Fast enough. Etc.

I could have converted it to more touring by lowering the pegs and putting on some risers, but that's not what it's about. Burning miles in the saddle go by fast for me than in a cage. Though the Gold Wing is great. The FJR and C14 excellent bikes. IMHO, you can't beat the ST for eating miles and keeping the fun factor exciting enough. The only other choice for me is the GS. But, again ... IMHO.
I would love to test ride a Blackbird some day. As much as I love the Bandit (and I do, Dream!), the Blackbird would be an awesome machine for some seriously fun sport touring miles. A lightly used 2003 model (that was the last year, yes?) would be too tempting if I ran across one.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #23 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 10:10 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I would love to test ride a Blackbird some day. As much as I love the Bandit (and I do, Dream!), the Blackbird would be an awesome machine for some seriously fun sport touring miles. A lightly used 2003 model (that was the last year, yes?) would be too tempting if I ran across one.
Ken, the invite is open. If you want to take a ride west. I'm only a quick few hours away. Come take mine and enjoy it for as long as you'd like. I do have a friend that is wanting to part with his low mileage '02.

Here's a "brain fart". If you go to the "Shin Dig", I'll bring the XX. You can try it or just take it if you'd like.

post #24 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Please take RC51_CBRXX up on his generous offer. I'm sure it's the best. Then please let me know when to pickup the Bandit.

post #25 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Thanks to Ken and everyone that's offered advice! I'm 6'2" with long legs and arms, so I'm thinking it will fit me well. I'm heading over to check it out and take a ride this afternoon, will let you know what I think.

post #26 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Well I rode it...

I liked it a lot, but can't say I loved it. So much different than what I'm used to, hard to get a good impression from a short test ride. It was in very good condition, just a couple of minor scratches but nothing noticeable.

Here's what I thought...

Didn't like the color as much as I thought I would, kind of a rosy hue to the grey.

Very comfortable seat and good seating position, passenger backrest was flimsy.

Brakes were ok, front grabbed hard, but no ABS.

V-4 engine sure sounds different than an inline 4, kind of whistles, then growls a bit under acceleration. Decent power, not great, wish it had more.

Nice instruments, very complete.

Windscreen hit me right in the middle of my line of vision on upper setting, could look over it on lower setting. Was a manually adustable windscreen, kind of a pain to adjust, have to remove four pieces of trim and loosen four bolts.

Saddlebags were great, very nice design, easily removeable.

Handled well in my short ride, once underway it doesn't feel heavy at all.

I would replace the grips and take off the lame mechanical cruise control.

Had Metzlers with good tread.

Nice guy, but if I were him I'd dump the HD Softtail and keep the ST.

I guess all in all, it was about what I expected, kind of wrestling with whether I like it enough to spend the money. I think I'd better ride a FJR and a Concours first before I decide, just to be fair to myself.

Again, thanks to all for your input and expertise, sure makes it easier to consider buying something like this when you have good advice and experience to draw on.

Here's a pic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03ST1300.jpg (120.0 KB, 17 views)

post #27 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

sbeau1960 ,

Thanks for your riding impressions! I fully understand why ST1300 yanked your chain, but there are a couple newer/docile designs out there that you deserve.

BTW, today your thread inspired me to straddle both the bandit/sv1000! I'm soo torn..if only I had enough resources to spread my love many ways.

post #28 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I'm a Honda guy (duh), but if you spend some time on the FJR I think you'll like it. I've put a few miles on one of my buddies 2005. He just traded it for a 2008. Nice bikes. They have some heat issues also, but they can rail unloaded or tour straight up. Lighter than the ST. His had (and the new one has) ABS and hardbags, electric windscreen.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #29 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
sbeau1960 ,

Thanks for your riding impressions! I fully understand why ST1300 yanked your chain, but there are a couple newer/docile designs out there that you deserve.

BTW, today your thread inspired me to straddle both the bandit/sv1000! I'm soo torn..if only I had enough resources to spread my love many ways.
I'd go for the Bandit out of that pair, Ken's a great salesman! The guys at the dealership also tell me that V-Stroms are great touring bikes, just can't get excited about them though.

I'm definitely going to keep looking, got the bug now though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I'm a Honda guy (duh), but if you spend some time on the FJR I think you'll like it. I've put a few miles on one of my buddies 2005. He just traded it for a 2008. Nice bikes. They have some heat issues also, but they can rail unloaded or tour straight up. Lighter than the ST. His had (and the new one has) ABS and hardbags, electric windscreen.
Yeah, there's a used '05 FJR at the local dealer, beautiful deep metallic blue color. Have sat on it and like the way it feels, a bit sportier than the ST but not as plush. Although truthfully most anything feels plush since I ride on a stock 919 seat. Think they wanted $9500 for it, a bit out of what I want to spend, but I bet I could talk them into a test ride.

Thinking I might like how the engine feels better on the FJR since it's more what I'm used to, not sure that V4 is for me. Glad I got to ride the ST though and it's certainly a nice bike.

post #30 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I'd go for the Bandit out of that pair, Ken's a great salesman! The guys at the dealership also tell me that V-Stroms are great touring bikes, just can't get excited about them though.

I'm definitely going to keep looking, got the bug now though!
Yeah I was fat, dumb and happy with 9er until Ken burst my bubble with Bandit! I do have a weakness for Vstrom's sweet benchseat, rack, and legroom.

post #31 of 40 Old 07-03-2008, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Rainy day today, stopped by the dealer at lunch and checked out a few bikes. Sat on a beautiful gloss black 08 FJR, very nice indeed! Also sat on a V-Strom 1000, have to say it was very comfortable and upright. Just don't like the looks of that bike though.

They also had a used red 06 919, 7900 miles, $6799. Bit on the high side, but it was the dealer.

post #32 of 40 Old 07-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into the works unnecessarily, but I was reading today about how ST13's are a bit notorious for head shake. Anyone confirm/deny these thoughts? Ken, you posted to google the speed weave; and you mention it, too, Blue--did you ever experience this and find it out-of-control, or just a part of the bike to learn and work around?

Sorry, SB--just lookin' out for ya. May be a knee-jerk post.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #33 of 40 Old 07-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Track whore

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

didn't notice any head-shake, even up to 100mph or so with the girl on the back. with the screen up high i noticed the weave was more pronounced. it also has a tendency to suck you (and your passenger) forward in the air bubble. and the weave didn't feel dangerous to me, you just had to be aware of it, kinda like a wander in the lane...

post #34 of 40 Old 07-05-2008, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Was talking to a guy last night riding a Triumph Tiger, said he has an FJR as well and loves it. Said he'd tried an ST first also and decided that the sportier FJR was more to his liking.

So, my next purpose in life is to find an FJR to go test ride!

post #35 of 40 Old 07-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Track whore

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

try and find a concourse too, heard very good things from our buyers so far

post #36 of 40 Old 07-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Tirone

I've spent a little time on my dad's ST. It is a fun bike to ride, which surprised me considering its size. With the seat on the highest setting, I feel like the center of gravity is way off, but it corners surprisingly well. The V4 is very different to me, but very comfortable and forgiving. The power curve reminds me of a utility four wheeler, and I am much more used to motocross or sport bikes. I've had it to 120 for a few miles (even though it felt like 60) and noticed no head shake or any negative effect. Its just extremely comfortable, especially for my dad, who is 6'3" and 250lbs. I haven't had the opportunity to try the FJR or any other, but I was impressed by the ST and there is no argument against Honda reliability.

His seat was redone with the gel padding to keep from sliding forward and crushing the boys. Other than that, all he has added to it is luggage.

I'll be willing to bet that the ST will be with my dad until the day he dies. He is absolutely in love with it and claims the only way he'd get rid of it is in exchange for the police issue white one or if he finds an amazing deal on a different color with an electric windshield (his is one of the few without it and silver. He prefers white or red.).

Also, my 2007 919 never even made it to the showroom, it was assembled during my drive to the shop and I paid the same as the asking price on that 2006 listed with 7900 miles, (walked out the door for under $7300 ) so the '06 sounds overpriced to me. I had only one mile and no one but the mechanics even touched it before I got it. The dealership had one left at the same price a month ago, but I doubt it lasted this long. Lawrenceville Honda in Georgia is where I found mine. It would be worth a call if someone is looking for one though.

post #37 of 40 Old 07-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Tirone

I also always wear work boots when riding, so the heat wasn't an issue for me, but I've heard my dad mention it once. Just try not to sit in traffic for too long. You can almost always find an alternate route.

post #38 of 40 Old 07-20-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
So, my next purpose in life is to find an FJR to go test ride!
I said, exactly 15 days ago...

post #39 of 40 Old 07-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Track whore

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

and did you?

post #40 of 40 Old 07-20-2008, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblur View Post
and did you?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode