ST1300 opinions - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 06-12-2009, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

ST1300 opinions

My father is looking at getting an ST1300 for fathers day, and I was hoping the wealth of knowledge here could lend a hand.

He has found an 06 St1300 with 19k miles and the asking price is 8600, but is negotiable at the dealer. The bike will need a new set of tires in the near future, but the price still seems more than fair based on what I have found on cycletrader.

Any opinions or thoughts on weather its a good deal? He currently is riding a 1997 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 that is basically stock and has 25k miles.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
My father is looking at getting an ST1300 for fathers day, and I was hoping the wealth of knowledge here could lend a hand.

He has found an 06 St1300 with 19k miles and the asking price is 8600, but is negotiable at the dealer. The bike will need a new set of tires in the near future, but the price still seems more than fair based on what I have found on cycletrader.

Any opinions or thoughts on weather its a good deal? He currently is riding a 1997 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 that is basically stock and has 25k miles.
if he decides to get it zack .... the dealership should put new tires.... i don't know about there but here its a legal can of worms if they sell a used bike with worn out tires...

post #3 of 15 Old 06-12-2009, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
if he decides to get it zack .... the dealership should put new tires.... i don't know about there but here its a legal can of worms if they sell a used bike with worn out tires...
What do you think of the price? probably just have them take the money off the price of the bike and install a new set when I get home. The bike is in Indiana, and we would be riding it back to Ga 750 miles. Tires are good enough to make it home.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index

post #4 of 15 Old 06-12-2009, 10:39 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
What do you think of the price? probably just have them take the money off the price of the bike and install a new set when I get home. The bike is in Indiana, and we would be riding it back to Ga 750 miles. Tires are good enough to make it home.
to be honest i don't like that price... there are leftover 07's at dealerships .... i know new they went for ~11-12k.. but now they can be had fairly cheaply....

i honestly don't know the book value on a used 06 with 19k... but if it was me... i would *(as always) start them at 7k and go from there.... (i know someone is gonna blah blah blah too cheap blah blah)..... but thats what I would do...

post #5 of 15 Old 06-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, I've been looking at getting one for a couple years.
Check out ST-Owners.com

Dan

Dan
post #6 of 15 Old 06-12-2009, 12:16 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Here's my opinion...he should buy my FJR instead, it's faster than the ST, handles better, looks better, and weighs less.

post #7 of 15 Old 06-12-2009, 12:19 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

And here was my take on the ST when I test rode one last year, along with many comments from other members...

https://wristtwisters.com/cruisers-to...ed-st1300.html

post #8 of 15 Old 06-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I thought about getting a "two-wheel mini-civic" and even made a crucial mistake of spoiling my wife on its wide seat. But lifting the behemoth off the side stand immediately sobered me up and the relatively docile 9er became my ride. Never looked back at the ST1300, and would only consider a ride <450lb.

post #9 of 15 Old 06-12-2009, 12:53 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Well it does take a "real man" to handle a Sport Tourer!

post #10 of 15 Old 06-12-2009, 01:01 PM
dr1
dr1

Heavy bikes have there advantages. One being, that when you come back outside from lunch you wont find 2 guys shoving it into a minivan, because they couldnt pick it up.

post #11 of 15 Old 06-12-2009, 01:13 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

My buddy shopped the ST against the FJR and hated the heat coming off the ST. Apparently, it has been a chronic problem never addressed by Honda. Maybe someone can confirm.

post #12 of 15 Old 06-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

a buddy of mine has one and he is 65 with a bad heart and back and he will run it right up my arse if im not carefull (like poopy smurf ping bartons lastest thread). he runs stock tires and gets 10k outa them. and like i said he rides it very hard. it is a big difference between it in the 919 of course but when im sore after 500 miles he is still going. and he carrys all my shit i cant fit in the tank bag.

post #13 of 15 Old 06-12-2009, 03:55 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

one other thing... there are numerous police forces using them for patrol bikes... they are capable of catching a sportbike..

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Blh0afqtMRM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Blh0afqtMRM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

post #14 of 15 Old 06-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Tirone??

The ST1300 is a great bike. I know a couple people with them. They are more on the touring side than the FJ which is more sporty. I do like the ST1300 lots. The weight may be a downside for some, but if doing many freeway miles, that weight will come in handy. The weight will help hold a line better than a light bike in the wind, or blasts of wind from passing vehicles. Spencer seats I believe specializes in the ST's as well if he were looking at a better seat.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #15 of 15 Old 08-16-2009, 05:33 PM
RDIV3.14

I own both the ST1300 and a 919. The ST is a heavier bike but it is quite capable and nimble for its size. I think the price is about right however I would work the poor tires into a discount on the deal. Maybe 8500 and a new set of tires. The Bridgestone have proven to be great tires for the 1300. Your father will like the wider seat I'm guessing, and the comfort the ST provides let's you do 500 mile days without any problem.

Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode