Sportster clutch adjustment problem - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 05-20-2007, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Sportster clutch adjustment problem

--Swapped out handlebars on the new Sportster and had to buy a shorter clutch cable. I installed the new cable per the manual and the bike now shifts very hard (KA-THUNK!) in to first and second gear, and the bike jumps a bit when 1st gear is engaged. Needless to say, I didn't ride the bike.

I removed the cable, and started all over again after reading the manual about 4 more times to make sure I didn't miss anything, and I adjusted per the manual. Same problem. The manual states that it's an adjustment problem, or the shift forks are bent. I don't know how the adjustment could be so sensitive. The lube level is correct, as manual states too much fluid could be a problem, but it's good.

When the engine is off, the bike clicks in to first, second and neutral like there is no problem, so I doubt the forks are bent. But once the engine is running, KA-THUNK, and it is very hard to shift gears, and neutral is very, very difficult to find. What's up with that?

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-20-2007, 08:25 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I think you need just need to adjust it some more, play with it a bit, did you adjust just the the cable adjuster or the clutch itself??

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #3 of 8 Old 05-20-2007, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

The cable and the adjusting screw assembly holding the ramp assembly. I talked to some other Harley guys (I still own the 919), and they said they can NEVER get the clutch adjusted on their own, they have to take it to the dealer for a one time contribution.....

post #4 of 8 Old 05-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Cornicen

Obvious statement here, but the clutch is not disengaging enough. adjust whatever spot you need to until it quits doing it. The cable should have the threads mid cable. Adjust them all the way out and see if it still does it. If it does the cable may have the wrong housing length. If you haven't messed with the clutch adjustment and just swapped out cables then you know what your trouble spot is. Sorry if I have been Captain Obvious.

Motorusher formally known as DirtySanchez919.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-20-2007, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Naw, I've triple double checked all. It's another form of Harley tax, and it's tricky. Thanks for the info, but unfortunately.....

A few 30+ year Harley owners have stated they can't get 'em, either, and they ship 'em to the dealer. Sigh. I USED to think I could turn a wrench...

post #6 of 8 Old 06-18-2007, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Wrong clutch cable. Fixed, now. Happy. Got me my 919 for swooping on Saturday mornings, and the Sportster for cruisin' easy on Saturday afternoon.
Vance and Hines Short Shots on the way. Loud Pipes Save Lives.

post #7 of 8 Old 06-19-2007, 06:59 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Cool man, glad you got it worked out. I just put together a 91 FXR with a S&S motor, put 100 miles on it sunday. Got a RB Racing 2 into 1 pipe ordered for it. Got a 954 for the the Twisties and the HD for the Cruisin! LPSL brutha, LOL, YOu can check out pics of it I posted in the Cruiser section where no one ever goes

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2007, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

2 into 1 pipe is great for add'l torque. Outstanding. Will be bolting on pipes as soon as I get them. It's neat to have extra bikes. Gotta 1977 Yahama RD400D (original owner - 8300 miles) in the stable too...

Love that H-D, though. Fun, fun bike....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode