Ride to Work Day leads to Cruiser experience - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 07-16-2008, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Ride to Work Day leads to Cruiser experience

I told one of my employees that she had to get her bike out at lunch and ride it back to work today since it was Ride to Work Day. I'd only seen pics and heard about it, she'd never ridden it to work, so she took my challenge and brought it back from lunch.

2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic, bought it new in '07, has only put 250 miles on it so far. She gave me the keys and told me to take it for a ride, went around the parking lot and a few blocks down the street and back. Beautiful deep metallic blue color, surprisingly smooth engine, very large, heavy and solid feeling. Adequate power, considering it weighs almost 600lbs and has 54hp, as I learned from this article: http://www.metricthunder.com/news/20...ki-vulcan-900/

Anyway, riding it was somewhat of a pleasant surprise, much smoother than older Vulcans I've ridden, a world apart from my Harley experiences, lots more power than Gin's Vulcan 500. The riding position was actually fairly comfortable although I never feel quite right on a cruiser. The running boards were a new experience, as was the heel shifter, easy to ride though and smooth controls. I didn't try cornering of any significance, but obviously it's best suited for just motoring about anyway, something it did quite well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Never ridden one, but I think the Vulcan is one of the nicer looking cruisers.

post #3 of 11 Old 07-16-2008, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

It is a handsome bike, love the color. Funny thing though, I felt oddly inappropriate wearing my helmet while riding it.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

That sure is a pretty ride! I've got it's mirrors on the 9er! Thanks for the report! Wish you would have tried some high speed turns and panic stops...it sounds like you didn't have high expectations.

post #5 of 11 Old 07-16-2008, 10:06 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I was bouncing between riding a Shadow Aero 750 and a Shadow Spirit 1100 for about a year before i bought my 919 in April. I love the 919 and have no desire to go back to the cruisers any time soon.

post #6 of 11 Old 07-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Tirone??

My Grandpa has a New Vulcan 900, which I took for a very short ride. It was a pretty nice machine for a cruiser. Seemed to have a nice low center of Gravity, really smooth, but seemed to be lacking in brakes, even for a cruiser. If I were to have a cruiser, this bike would sure be in the picture.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #7 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
Wish you would have tried some high speed turns and panic stops...it sounds like you didn't have high expectations.
Yeah, since she'd only put 250 miles on it I hated to push it very hard, plus it's a heavy cruiser, not exactly the kind of machine that I feel comfortable on doing those types of maneuvers.

I did polish it up for her and set her tire pressures to thank her for the test ride. She's a single woman in her 40's, bigger lady that can handle that size bike, but doesn't know a lot about motorcycles. Also has a classic Mustang in her garage that has some insanely low mileage, as well as a new Hemi Dodge 4x4. Used to have a Goldwing with her ex, when I bought my 919 she got fired up to have a bike again, took the MSF course and went and bought the Vulcan. Told her if she rode it to work more often I'd help her take care of it, she seemed excited about that offer so I may have more saddle time on it in the future.

post #8 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 05:23 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Knowing the limitations of a bike should help shape how you ride it.
Cruisers are meant for relaxed riding. If you are worried about brakes, you leave extra following distance. Another thing about cruisers is that you need to apply assloads more rear brake than you are used to. Their weight bias is much different than standards or sport bikes.

Glad you enjoyed the ride.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #9 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
Another thing about cruisers is that you need to apply assloads more rear brake than you are used to. Their weight bias is much different than standards or sport bikes.
Must be why it has that giant brake PEDAL to stomp on!

post #10 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Das Kalmar

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

It feels too weird to me riding a bike with forward controls. The heel shifters are like a rubix cube to me, upshifting when I want to down shift and versa vice. I always burn my ankles looking for the rear sets that aren't there also.

BOOM CHICKA
post #11 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert260 View Post
It feels too weird to me riding a bike with forward controls. The heel shifters are like a rubix cube to me, upshifting when I want to down shift and versa vice. I always burn my ankles looking for the rear sets that aren't there also.
I agree, really takes some thought to step down on the shift lever to upshift. This bike didn't have the way forward controls, the leg position actually felt decent with the running boards and swept back handlebars. Kind of like slouching in my office chair.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode