New Bike in the Family!!! Trophy! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 11-13-2006, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

New Bike in the Family!!! Trophy!

Well, when I say in the family, I mean literally in the family.

My father just put a deposit down on this 2000 Triumph Trophy.

1200CC i4. She has plenty of power and the Unique Triumph Styling.
It should never be confused for anythign other than what it is.

But the price was right and the time was right.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-13-2006, 03:45 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Congratulations Dad !!!!

post #3 of 31 Old 11-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Quitting is for Quitters!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

How cool is that! Congrats to dad, and yo your for getting a riding buddy.

-Mercedes- or you can call me YaYa

post #4 of 31 Old 11-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

That thing probably has more luggage room than my car.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #5 of 31 Old 11-13-2006, 04:37 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

You don't have to try and fool everyone, let them in that it is really your bike because the Tiger isn't comfortable enough for long rides.

J/K Mike, now i'm gonna have to shoot up there to see it in person.

post #6 of 31 Old 11-13-2006, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Well, the weekend after Thanksgiving I am flying down to Daytona to ride it back. So twive in under week, I will ride form Florida to Virginia.

Spoiler:
post #7 of 31 Old 11-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Shall I prepare the guest suite?

post #8 of 31 Old 11-13-2006, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase

I think I am going to run straight up 95. For some reason I think I might actually be a little tired of riding by the time I get home.

Spoiler:
post #9 of 31 Old 11-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

After sitting on that couch for 12 hours?

post #10 of 31 Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase

History:
I remember as a kid my fathers Honda 750 sitting in the garage, moved to the shed, given away. I have pictures of me sititng on it when I was 4 or so. It was gone by the age of 7. I barely remember pops riding it (becuase I was too young). His reasons for giving it up was us kids, city traffic getting worse and at the time (he was 30) probably a little bit of immaturity when he rode it.

For the past few years, my pops has talked about wanting a Gold Wing. Well, he has always talked about getting a Gold Wing, but recently he was serious. When i had my big crash at VIR, he tried to bribe me with it. Give up the track and we could have matching Gold Wings. That is how much he wants me to quit the track.

So anyhow, I have been an evil son. I am friends with the local Triumph dealer and I have been taking demos to his house and just visiting for a while. I think the Rocket did him in. After sitting on it, he got a look on his face and I knew it was just a matter of time.

The original Bike I was pushing his way, another member here turned me on to. A Kawasaki Concourse. Great at nothing, good at everything and cheap. A good combination for someone getting back into bikes. The down side, Kawasaki spared every expense in the design department. My father was almost sold on it, but unsure. I was relentless pushing knowing if i could just get him on a bike, the Gold Wing was gonna be in the future. So I kept at him.

He finally admitted the styling was the big drawback. So I tried to even the styling out with the price. Talking with Paul we were trying to make it happen. Then while surfing the internet, my father saw the Trophy. He asked me about it, I in turn went to the Triumph dealer and asked a 1000 questions. They told me what to look for and I called BMW of Daytona.

After some talking and negotiating, I got the deal on the bike my dad couldn't refuse. OTD, the bike was about the same price as my last mountain bike. The saleguy was honest about wanting it off the sales floor and sympathetic to me trying to get my father back on a bike.

If I paid a dollar less, I would have to go to Prison!

Spoiler:
post #11 of 31 Old 11-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Be it known that you are a great son, and everone on here should be as grateful to have a riding companion in the family. I hope you get many miles under both your belts in your lifetime.

post #12 of 31 Old 11-13-2006, 06:09 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I really miss riding with my dad. Something you can never replace.

I put a lot of miles on some Honda bikes he had. Big ups to you for keeping it happening. He'll love it.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #13 of 31 Old 11-14-2006, 07:25 AM
Track whore

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

that bikes looks great! i'm glad he's getting back into riding again dude. just tell me when i should keep my eyes open for a good Wing

post #14 of 31 Old 11-14-2006, 07:27 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Congrats!! so has he joined WT yet?

post #15 of 31 Old 11-14-2006, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase

We may not want him here!

Not only does he have ALL the dirt on me, he thinks he knows more about everything than I do. And we all know "I know everything!"

Spoiler:
post #16 of 31 Old 11-14-2006, 08:27 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Cool, way to go dad, should be a blast riding with pops!

post #17 of 31 Old 11-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Living the dream

Cool. So you and your Dad cn ride up to Mid-O together.

post #18 of 31 Old 11-26-2006, 05:16 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Paging Mike, get the bike home yet?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #19 of 31 Old 11-26-2006, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Jim, thanks for asking... I have been quite the busy bee this past week, so i ended up bouncing my flight back to Dec 9th. Hopefully I do not freeze coming home!

(yesterday I spent the day with Ridge and Mrs Ridge on the DRZ125)

Spoiler:
post #20 of 31 Old 11-26-2006, 06:29 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Three of you on one bike!!!??

I bet Ridge made you set behind him.

post #21 of 31 Old 11-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

You didn't complain in the camper Fri night.

post #22 of 31 Old 11-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Thumbs up

That's hot... A fine choice!

post #23 of 31 Old 12-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Ready for your trip yet?

post #24 of 31 Old 12-05-2006, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Ready for your trip yet?
I am prepared to not party on Thursday or Friday.

SO in that sense, yes. I am sore from roofing my house, in that sense, I do not want to do anything right now.

Spoiler:
post #25 of 31 Old 12-05-2006, 09:41 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

My pops rode when he was in his teens and early 20's, had a bad crash, then kids, and never looked back.

I dont think he would ever think of getting on one again. But the way my mom naggs him, he might!

Consider yourself lucky...

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #26 of 31 Old 12-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
I am prepared to not party on Thursday or Friday.
The question is, can you resist, and follow through without partying Thurs. and Fri?

post #27 of 31 Old 12-10-2006, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase

So - Wednesday, I behaved in a manner that made me want to lay low on Thursday and Friday.

Thursday, called up a couple of friends and had dinner at the house and played some cards. In bed by 10.

Friday, a couple different friends came over and we played darts. in bed by 9:30.

Saturday 4am - time to get up and get dressed.
Saturday 4:45am - airport (orf)- cruised right through security and was at the gate by 5:10. Sit and wait.

6am, in the air for Atlanta.
8am, sitting in concourse C eating breakfast waiting for my 9:45 flight to Daytona. (I am in my feildsheer adventure garb, so I am staying low key)

9:45 take off from ATL to DAB
10:45 touch down.
11am, catch cab to BMW of Daytona
11:15 introduce myslef and they roll the Trophy out.
11:45 I laugh as I listen to new "BMW" owners try to bargain.

Guy is there with his 50 lbs overweight wife. She is in a sweater showing off her newly increased mid section she was dressed like she wanted to be a teany bopper and impress her man). He has a zippered sweater with a high collar t-shirt and slacks. He is in the buying the Adventure 650 (don't recall the name). As they are going over his feelings he mentions he is paying too much and smiles. The sales guy asks"how much should you pay?" Tough guy responds his price and admits he did not do his homework before he commited to overpaying form this dealership. The sales guys asked why that price and now is where it got funny. Customer folds his arms, sits back in the chair all calm and cool (totally acting like a dick). Looks are his bride and says "everywhere but here. I found it advetised on line at several dealers for "x" price." The sales guy looks confused and goes on line to see. Sure enough, it is available in the non ABS version for the price he stated, but he wants the ABS bike. So the sales guy looks and him calmly and suggests politely that he was looking at the NON-ABS bikes when he saw that price and that he would sell him a non abs bike at that price if he would rather have it.

I am at the next desk and chuckled. Everyone looks at me. My brain was telling me to "shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up" but I just could not help myself. I looked at his wife and said "I guess he didn't do his homework to good after all."

12pm, I am on the Trophy and out the door.
8:45pm, I pull into my fathers driveway and show him the bike. He seems pleased and a a bit excited, but knows I am taking it with me to get the triumph shop to do a "major" tune up on it.

Here it sits in my garage with 726 more miles than I picked it up with. For $4K it is going to prove to be quite the steal.

Spoiler:
post #28 of 31 Old 12-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Living the dream

Congrats again to your Dad. Maybe you two need a group adventure ride up to Mid-O.

post #29 of 31 Old 12-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Glad to hear you made it home safely. I thought sure my earlier calls to the TSA would pay off for a good laugh. So, give us a comparison. How mush better was the ride on the Trophy than the Tiger?

post #30 of 31 Old 12-10-2006, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase

I think my comparison right now would be unfair.
The Trophy has not been maintained in a condition I would consider "acceptable" However, I will note some things...

As of right now, the Tiger with Heated grips wins! My hands and feet were cold by the time I got to VA. If I can get the rebounds sorted on the Trophy, I would be a much closer battle.

Fuel economy - the Trophy is running way to rich. You can smell it while it idles. This contributed to the horrible gas mileage I was getting.

Engine power- Rediculous. 9K redline on a 1200cc engine is not right. It pulls harder than my Tiger in the taller gears. Simply impressive with the power.

Comfort- It has a Sargent seat on it. Broken in by someone else. So--- I need more time to break in the seat the way I like it. I got more comfy as the ride wore on, but as of right now, my Tiger wins this one. The grips are also the foam style (I hate those). That will be an upgrade while at the shop this week.

Wind protection- with a taller screen it could be rediculous. If I slouched down, the wind noise was completely eliminated.

Handling- still getting used to it. But she is sitting on old worn tires, so that could attribute to some of my lack of faith.

***This week, she will get new air and fuel filters. Oil and Filter change, new tires, new spark plugs, rejetted, etc...

Spoiler:
post #31 of 31 Old 12-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Mike - You are very lucky to have a dad who rides. Enjoy these times together; they will be memories that last a lifetime.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode