Kawi Vulcan 900? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 06-19-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Kawi Vulcan 900?

My older brother is excited about a liquid cooled, twin, belt, EFI Kawi 900. It appears a 50lb diet Vstar-1300. Does anyone have/ridden one that could share their experience? We want to ride to AK, so maybe I should convince him to get the faster Vstar so I don't have to take so many road naps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Pilus Posterior

The 900 succeeded the VN800.

It has rated well in the magazines and is a good looking kit. Personally I prefer it to the Suzuki equivalent, subject to $.

post #3 of 14 Old 06-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Tirone??

My grandfather has a Vulcan 900. A very nice, smooth, well balanced cruiser. I have rode it a few times. Moves pretty good, but the thing that amazed me was the balance for the cruiser. Have ridden many cruisers in the past, but this one felt super light once moving. A downside I felt while riding were the brakes. The brakes felt anemic. At the time I was riding a Honda Shadow, so I am not comparing brakes to a sportbike, but rather another cruiser. He has had a few problems with it though. His speedo has went out twice on him, which was replaced under warranty.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919

post #4 of 14 Old 06-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
My older brother is excited about a liquid cooled, twin, belt, EFI Kawi 900. It appears a 50lb diet Vstar-1300. Does anyone have/ridden one that could share their experience? We want to ride to AK, so maybe I should convince him to get the faster Vstar so I don't have to take so many road naps.
Tell your brother to check out the new 09 VStar 950, fuel injected. $7990.00 or with bags, back rest and windshield $8990.00

post #5 of 14 Old 06-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Tirone

In addition to the Hornets and VFR, I also ride a 2008 900 Vulcan, It is a good choice for riding with a passenger. Get a driver backrest and it's like sitting on your living room sofa. The wife can lean against the rear backrest and watch the scenery. I have the LT version that has a large windshield (too big, had to cut it down) passenger backrest, and saddlebags stock. At legal speeds I can get over 50 mpg riding 2 up. The seat is long enough that the wife's helmet it not tapping into the back of my helmet. It was also my first belt drive bike. Heavy and low power? yes. Still a good choice for some riding situations? yes again.

post #6 of 14 Old 06-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

The 900 has a smaller seating position. At 6'2", I am cramped

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #7 of 14 Old 06-19-2009, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Thank you all very much for your great feedback. It's a decent bike, as I considered it years ago when getting 9er. Bikes options have improved since!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDVMAX View Post
Tell your brother to check out the new 09 VStar 950, fuel injected. $7990.00 or with bags, back rest and windshield $8990.00
Thanks for the GREAT TIP! That's gotta be good since yammy is investing in R&D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpschil View Post
In addition to the Hornets and VFR, I also ride a 2008 900 Vulcan, It is a good choice for riding with a passenger. Get a driver backrest and it's like sitting on your living room sofa. The wife can lean against the rear backrest and watch the scenery. I have the LT version that has a large windshield (too big, had to cut it down) passenger backrest, and saddlebags stock. At legal speeds I can get over 50 mpg riding 2 up. The seat is long enough that the wife's helmet it not tapping into the back of my helmet. It was also my first belt drive bike. Heavy and low power? yes. Still a good choice for some riding situations? yes again.
But I doubt he will ride much 2up...but he took me for my first ride when I was a puke kid on his HD. I have the short's exhaust scar to prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotsteam View Post
My grandfather has a Vulcan 900. A very nice, smooth, well balanced cruiser. I have rode it a few times. Moves pretty good, but the thing that amazed me was the balance for the cruiser. Have ridden many cruisers in the past, but this one felt super light once moving. A downside I felt while riding were the brakes. The brakes felt anemic. At the time I was riding a Honda Shadow, so I am not comparing brakes to a sportbike, but rather another cruiser. He has had a few problems with it though. His speedo has went out twice on him, which was replaced under warranty.
Very interesting. Great brakes are essential! I'd bet the new vstar950 is better here! But rather have him on the Kawi Versys (450lb & dual front disks!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
The 900 has a smaller seating position. At 6'2", I am cramped
Thanks! He's 6' so that's a great point if he plans on doing any distance trips with me!

Since he hasn't ridden for a while, I'd prefer see him riding a Kawi Versys and see how that goes before going heavy, unresponsive, but he's as stubborn as me.

post #8 of 14 Old 06-20-2009, 05:07 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Here ya go, rode one of my employee's last year....

https://wristtwisters.com/cruisers-to...xperience.html

post #9 of 14 Old 06-20-2009, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Here ya go, rode one of my employee's last year....

https://wristtwisters.com/cruisers-to...xperience.html
Thanks for reminding me why I had dejavu' on the subject... your thread! I hope in the past 11months she has either been riding it or traded it for something she enjoys?

Yeah my old brother has his mind set on a modern cruiser. Granted after I rented a shadow cruiser in HI it returned my love for motorcycling. But that cruiser's bad brakes and lousy turn radius convinced me against getting a cruiser and for the performance standard class. So I'm not excited about him lusting for a heavy cruiser, but I don't want to rain on his parade either.

post #10 of 14 Old 06-20-2009, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

I sent my Brother the link for the Vstar950 and he rejected it immediately for being an airhead, woops I missed that. He wants a modern cruiser and KV900 is it. It feels analogous to my cousins' illegitimacy plight after I clearly explained the downside.

post #11 of 14 Old 06-22-2009, 06:18 AM
What about the Creedence

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Modern and cruiser are two words that rarely meet ! As for the worry with the oil cooled, I wouldnt sweat that. Oil colling has been around for a LONG time and it still seems to work - plus , you dont have to worry with it boiling over when idling for a while -

I like the VN900 - abng for buck its a good bike - But, the C50 is a great bike also. Only thing about the Suzuki , its a little bit smaller physically, Im a little too cramped on it when compared to the 900. Best advice I can give is go and do some sitting. Let him feel what seat and position are best for him, Then worry wiht who makes it -

" Any book is a childrens book , if the kid can read !"
Mitch Hedburg
post #12 of 14 Old 06-23-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Modern and cruiser are two words that rarely meet ! As for the worry with the oil cooled, I wouldnt sweat that. Oil colling has been around for a LONG time and it still seems to work - plus , you dont have to worry with it boiling over when idling for a while -
So you are saying a modern cruiser is an oxymoron!
Yesterday we discussed a Triumph Bonnie! Years ago he rode one with 200cc less displacement than today's 860cc, and he thought it was "real fast"! . Still an airhead but he's familiar with it, 100lb less than the VN900==>thus better braking, more leg room and much better handling. Plus the Bonnie is classy and cool!

post #13 of 14 Old 06-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
So you are saying a modern cruiser is an oxymoron!
Yesterday we discussed a Triumph Bonnie! Years ago he rode one with 200cc less displacement than today's 860cc, and he thought it was "real fast"! . Still an airhead but he's familiar with it, 100lb less than the VN900==>thus better braking, more leg room and much better handling. Plus the Bonnie is classy and cool!
AMEN brother! I've had my 2005 Bonny for 3 months now, and I've loved every minute of it.
Previous Rides:
  • SV 650
  • VStar 1300
  • Sportster 883

Pittsburgh, PA
2005 Triumph Bonneville T100
post #14 of 14 Old 06-23-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewPA View Post
AMEN brother! I've had my 2005 Bonny for 3 months now, and I've loved every minute of it.
Previous Rides:
  • SV 650
  • VStar 1300
  • Sportster 883
That does it, I must tip the decision scale towards bonnie! That's quite a lineup of comparable rides. I greatly appreciate your relevant experience opinion. Thanks Brother!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode