How far down the rabit hole will I fall... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

How far down the rabit hole will I fall...

Yes, I got my start on a 1993 Suzuki Bandit 400 (a friends)
Yes I went on to buy a Bandit 600 in 2000
Yes I moved to an F4i in 2001, keeping the bandit for 2 up duties
Yes I bought an RC51 in 2002 after doing my first few track days
Yes I bought a 2001 RC51 in 2004 to relieve my 2002 of its track abuse
Yes I bought a 2003 600RR in 2005 to get back on a smaller bike for the street
Yes I bought a 2006 Triumph Tiger in 2006
and yes, I bought a 2003 R1 last month.
---------
Yes, I sold the Bandit in 2004
Yes I sold the F4i in 2003
Yes I sold 02 RC51 in 2005
Yes I sold the 03 RR in 2005
Yes I all but totalled my 01 RC in 2006
Yes I am selling my new to me R1 already....
---------
Why is the Tiger the only bike left in the garage I care about?

hmmm.......

Well, after I bought and sold the RR, I had a friendly conversation with a friend on this board. I am not going to tell you who, but I will give you a hint... it starts with a "J" and ends with a "etblast10." After some confusion on my part as to why I did not like the RR that I bought from him, we discussed things like "why we ride."

I think we settled on the "Zen" concept.

Well, I was content with that up until l got my hands on this R1. F' Zen! It is not my favorite bike at all, but sexy, fast and light. For a moment, I saw the machine I was going to turn her into. Then... I realized it was not worth the money to me to build a machine I now lack the desire to ride. Yup, looks like Zen is it.

I guess I have gotten old.

I rode my Tiger 13,000 miles last year. That is more than to total amount of miles I put on both of my RCs and 600RR combined. (the Bandit had more miles after 5 years) I enjoy riding my Tiger more that the sport bikes. Sometimes I over ride it and scare the poop out of myself, but most of the time, I am behaving.
-------------------

So what is the point of this ramble? I believe I have selected my next purchase. Based on what I have learned over the past 7 years, I think this will settle my desire for comfort and power....

Spoiler:

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I will own one of those someday. Someday, not yet. When the youngest is gone and the wife and I can two up more than we do now. Have you ridden one? They are extremely well built, handle a lot better than you think, and yes they are very comfortable.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Goldwing, cool. They have a reverse gear don't they.

post #4 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

hondaf4iguy,

Nice history lesson...but IMHO I think your last radical jump required a good bump on the head!

post #5 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

That's it! I'm yanking your ADV card, hand it over. On a serious note, I have always held a deep admiration for the Goldwing. No other bike that I know of has such an air of distinction about it. It exuberates class, yet the styling screams get the F_ _K out of my way. We will discuss this more.

post #6 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

That's yellow wolf on the Dragon. Great bike. Great ride. My Dad has a GL1800 and my wife and I ride it to the mountains once in a while for 2-wheeled getaways. For a 900 pound bike it's really amazing how much lean angle and agility it has. That low mounted six gives it a really low COG and once it's rolling, it's easier to maneuver than many bikes hundreds of pounds less, like my ST1300. I'll own one some day when I'm ready for the Hondabago.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

post #8 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I will own one of those someday. Someday, not yet. When the youngest is gone and the wife and I can two up more than we do now. Have you ridden one? They are extremely well built, handle a lot better than you think, and yes they are very comfortable.
I had a neighbor with an 02 GW. He spent lots of time in Iraq and Afganistan for the Navy, so while he was away, my job in supporting the war machine was to keep his bike running. Every few weeks I would walk down to his house and take it for a 20 mile jaunt. Very fast and nimble for such a big bike. But if I am going to do this, I am going all in and getting the audio/comfort/gps package. Still undecided on the ABS and "no" to the airbag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
hondaf4iguy,

Nice history lesson...but IMHO I think your last radical jump required a good bump on the head!
Haha! As luck would have it, I bought my Tiger one month prior to the "bump" I took. Maybe the bump helped it along, but I think I just enjoy riding. I have learned on the Tiger that I enjoy riding long distance as well. Something I will reserve for H-ryder to do on a sport bike while I cruise in comfort. The only way i would have enjoyed the Tampa Trip down Rt1 more is if i had a cd changer, floor boards, and all kinds of gadgets to play with.

Spoiler:
post #9 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I started out on dirtbikes, turned 16 and went to "standards". From there went to sportbikes when they were introduced.

Out of all the riding I've done there is nothing like touring for me. It's amazing how the moment the trip is over I'm ready to go again. Something about having to depend on yourself and the motorcycle is exciting. I'd never tour in a car, but I can go almost anywhere on a bike. I don't really need a destination, just a route.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #10 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Speaking of Wings and touring, Jim have you ever done an IronButt ride? Sounds like you would be up to the challenge. I last did an SS1K and it was easier than I thought it would be. http://www.ironbutt.com

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #11 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

+1 to that Jim. I still have a smoldering for the track, but there's nothing like being out on a desolate road and just stunned with your surroundings. I will eventually get a more adept touring bike than the Strom, but I don't know about a GW.

post #12 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
The only way i would have enjoyed the Tampa Trip down Rt1 more is if i had a cd changer, floor boards, and all kinds of gadgets to play with.
Ahh so that's how you were GW hypnotized!
My "cd player" on my 9r is an Ipod and autocom. It weighs 400lbs less than a GW! I love riding too much for a convertible cage on two wheels.

post #13 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Speaking of Wings and touring, Jim have you ever done an IronButt ride? Sounds like you would be up to the challenge. I last did an SS1K and it was easier than I thought it would be. http://www.ironbutt.com
No, but my buddy and I are considering it on the first day out on our annual trip this year. I need to read up and see what's required. Thanks for the link. I've done a 900 mile day. Don't think 100 more would have been a big deal.

Right now I like the challenge of touring on a bike that's not really made for it. I've done a lot of long miles/trips on the Superhawk and the 9er. The 919 handles it suprisingly well, but the older I get the made for touring machines are starting to look tempting. I almost brought home a VFR two weeks ago. Still thinking about that one. The ST would probably be a nice fit also. I'll do the wing thing when I get older.

post #14 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
Ahh so that's how you were GW hypnotized!
My "cd player" on my 9r is an Ipod and autocom. It weighs 400lbs less than a GW! I love riding too much for a convertible cage on two wheels.
You can hate on it all you want. It is riding perfection to me.

Spoiler:
post #15 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
No, but my buddy and I are considering it on the first day out on our annual trip this year. I need to read up and see what's required. Thanks for the link. I've done a 900 mile day. Don't think 100 more would have been a big deal.

Right now I like the challenge of touring on a bike that's not really made for it. I've done a lot of long miles/trips on the Superhawk and the 9er. The 919 handles it suprisingly well, but the older I get the made for touring machines are starting to look tempting. I almost brought home a VFR two weeks ago. Still thinking about that one. The ST would probably be a nice fit also. I'll do the wing thing when I get older.
If you plan it out, do a superslab route, keep your gas receipts, have a start/stop witness, and can average 60 MPH (with stops) you can do it easy. The SS1K and BB rides are the 'entry level' IB rides. The hardcore guys that do the IB Rally think nothing of 10 consecutive 1200 mile days. Of course, they also have secondary fuel cells, iron butts or Russell saddles, and bikes that can withstand that beating! I have a buddy that did the CC ride - San Diego to Jacksonville and back to San Diego in 100 hours

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #16 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

My dad has an '06 Goldwing with GPS, ABS, heated grips and seats, etc. And in addition to all that comfort, it just plain hauls butt!

Question: Why no airbag? Have you seen the crash test videos?

Madmotor
'06 919

post #17 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmotor View Post
My dad has an '06 Goldwing with GPS, ABS, heated grips and seats, etc. And in addition to all that comfort, it just plain hauls butt!

Question: Why no airbag? Have you seen the crash test videos?

Madmotor
'06 919
I have seen the video. But not sold.
Too much money for something that may help in accidents where I t-bone someone. Something I have never done.

Spoiler:
post #18 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Yes, I recognized the pattern of Hondas but how about a Concours 14?

post #19 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Not even close to what I want. I want a tourer, not a sport tourer.

Spoiler:
post #20 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

I see, said the blind man.

post #21 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
I see, said the blind man.
to his deaf wife.

post #22 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Before you completely abandon hope for the track I must suggest you give a motard it's day in court. It won't cripple the goal of Goldwingerdom but you may find a renewed urge to hit the track in a different way, I really had a great time on the 'tard on the track.

I see no fault with wanting a Wing, in fact I see one in my own 10-12 year plan (still earlier than the owners manual says I should) but just when I was ready to wrap up the track and toss it into the wastebasket I find something that's easy to ride, confidence inspiring, is very crash survivable and flatout kicks sportbike butt in the twisties.

post #23 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Hastatus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

LMFAO X 10

Dude, I didn't even read the commentary...I just read the list of bought vs. sold...then looked at the spoiler!! that is fuggin great!!

+ $5

post #24 of 31 Old 03-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

your selling the R1?

shame on you, and there i was thinking you'd be back atleast for one season.

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #25 of 31 Old 03-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase

Dude, you bought that R1 for more than just a big epiphany.

You like to go fast, just not as fast as you used to go. It's all right....come on in.

The water's fine.

I think you should give an ST or FJ or like bike a once over B-4 you jump on the big Goldwing wagon.....

My un-solicited .02

post #26 of 31 Old 03-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDJAM View Post
Dude, you bought that R1 for more than just a big epiphany.

You like to go fast, just not as fast as you used to go. It's all right....come on in.

The water's fine.

I think you should give an ST or FJ or like bike a once over B-4 you jump on the big Goldwing wagon.....

My un-solicited .02
My wife would call the R1 a "mid-life crisis mobile".

post #27 of 31 Old 03-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post
My wife would call the R1 a "mid-life crisis mobile".
That's what every clueless chick calls 'em. In the meantime, they're having candle and basket parties!

post #28 of 31 Old 04-26-2007, 07:11 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The mid-life-crisis gets a bad rap. What's wrong with checking your pulse ?

post #29 of 31 Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
The mid-life-crisis gets a bad rap. What's wrong with checking your pulse ?
Dunno.. wives are funny that way. You'd think they would be glad we aren't just sitting around getting old. Who knows..

post #30 of 31 Old 04-26-2007, 10:27 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I have had mid-life crisis' annually since since turning 30. My wife says they are like clockwork. I enjoy them... they can be FUN!

I LOVE the GW - but I dont think I could ever handle one. Thats a lot of bike. I know they dont drive like a sportbike... but I think a FJ or ST would be for me.

Your wants and needs can change - no problem with that! Good that you recognized it and can make the change.

Have fun touring the country...

But dont think you wont be back for trackdays every now and then... that would be just lying to yourself! A tourer and a track bike both may just be the best of every possible world - at least for me.

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #31 of 31 Old 05-06-2007, 08:50 PM
necked 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
I think we settled on the "Zen" concept. I guess I have gotten old. Based on what I have learned over the past 7 years, I think this will settle my desire for comfort and power....
I felt the same way…
I’m planning a cross-country trip and a “must do” is the Tail of the Dragon and that just didn’t seem appealing on a full touring rig (your spoiler makes for a good argument, though) but a Sports Touring bike (K1200GT) was my choice.
Later in life I may go for the HD or GW couch - just to have another tool in the pouch.

But why settle...
Motorcycles are fun and wouldn’t it be great to have a range bikes that will fit the many types of riding that you might be in the mood for…
sand, hill climb, speedway, motox, flat track, trials, trail, enduro, dualsport, motard, track days, sport riding, commuting, sports touring, touring, cruising and customs.
I’m too busted up for some of the activities mentioned but that doesn’t mean I won’t try. Life is worth living and living on two wheels makes me feel alive.

Rj - WQEU774
Team Drumstick
Hondas: 919Hornet - 750NightHawk - CR250R - TRX400EX - TRX250EX wife's quad
Bultaco Metisse 250 project
BMW K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode