Honda Shadow Sabre 1100 - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By KarlJay
  • 1 Post By KarlJay
  • 1 Post By KarlJay

post #1 of 7 Old 07-22-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Honda Shadow Sabre 1100

Just picked up a 2000 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100 with just under 10k miles with my bro in-law. He traded his 1981 mustang 5.0 for it. Went with to test ride for him since he's never really ridden before.

Nice looking bike. Feels sooo top heavy compared to our hornets and the handlebars turn so much more rather than leaning. Power was lacking but that's typical too I assume. Omg though, the comfort, oh the comfort! If it weren't for the removed baffles I could have fallen asleep.

These are the only pics I took so far.

2003 Honda CB900 919 Hornet - Current
1999 Suzuki Bandit S1200 - sold
1986 Honda Magna V65 - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-22-2017, 01:58 PM
Pilus Posterior

That's one of the bikes I was looking at if I were to get a cruiser, I liked the rims and general style.

I sat on a few and just couldn't used to the size and weight.

IMO, it's because of what I started out on. Both my bikes have been naked standards and I've gotten used to nimble, light, flickable bikes.

Nice looking ride, I guess the power thing is odd because I've seen videos of some cruisers that move like the wind.
TheScientist likes this.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-22-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Yeah i agree with the power thing. I had an 1100 that had loads of power. We messed around with it a little bit and decided it needs a good carb cleaning. Sucks getting those carbs in and out.

I took it for another ride and 3 times over 30 seconds it slipped from 4th to 3rd. The clutch cable is fairly stretched and I adjusted the "screw knob cable tightener" (yes that's the real name ) at the lever so maybe the gear wasn't fully engaging and was slipping back out? Never had that happen on any bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 Old 07-23-2017, 06:22 AM
Tesserarius

I can see how you almost fell asleep. A friend of mine absolutely would not leave me alone until l rode his Harley. That just about put me to sleep.

That ones does at least look, top heavy.

post #5 of 7 Old 07-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScientist View Post
Yeah i agree with the power thing. I had an 1100 that had loads of power. We messed around with it a little bit and decided it needs a good carb cleaning. Sucks getting those carbs in and out.

I took it for another ride and 3 times over 30 seconds it slipped from 4th to 3rd. The clutch cable is fairly stretched and I adjusted the "screw knob cable tightener" (yes that's the real name ) at the lever so maybe the gear wasn't fully engaging and was slipping back out? Never had that happen on any bike.

I have a Nighthawk 700S and it's damn hard t get the carbs out, so I know what it's like. I also had a hellva time cleaning them and even then got stuck more than once because they were flooding after full cleaning.

I made a video on how the trans works, if it's slipping out of gear, it's probably the edges are rounded.

I have two 700S's and had to replace the forks in one with the forks from the others. I picked the gears that had the least wear.

Here's a video showing the broken shift fork:

Once I replaced the shift fork, everything was fine. The real PITA is getting to the forks. The upside is that you can dig in there and fix everything that needs fixing.
TheScientist likes this.

post #6 of 7 Old 07-25-2017, 11:35 AM
Pilus Posterior

If you look at the forks in the 2nd video, you see wear at the base instead of or in addition to the tips of the forks. The spring force to hold the trans in gear comes from the drum, extends thru the forks to the gears. If the forks are worn, they'll slip out of gear.

This show how the forks are used to transfer the force to keep the trans in gear. Sadly, the only fix for this is to replace the forks and maybe the gears because the more the edges get rounded off, the more it slips out of gear. The clutch cable isn't going to have anything to do with it, the clutch only removes the direct power to the gears, after that the shifter selects the next gear. Once a gear has been selected, it's up to the drum, forks and stubs on the gears.

TheScientist likes this.

post #7 of 7 Old 07-25-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

That's awesome KarlJay. He took it for a ride yesterday for about an hour and didn't have any gears slip on him. We have both taken car/truck engines apart but never a bike so if that is the case with this one, it'll be a fun project. Now thinking about it, I hope it slips some more pretty soon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode