Has anyone gone from the magnificent 9er to a cruiser - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 47 Old 04-09-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Has anyone gone from the magnificent 9er to a cruiser

So, some of my past posts have dealt with me struggling to get behind the idea of having a cruiser, that is a lazy v-twin, instead of the beautiful 919 to suit my riding style and roads in Iowa. Has anyone done it? I'm really leaning towards a VTX1300. I decided against the 1800 for really insignificant reasons; 1300 has a cable actuated clutch, hydraulic for the 1800, single pin crank vs dual on the 1800, plus the 1300 is more wallet friendly and still plenty fast. I guess, and I'm sure this is the exception and not the rule, but everyone that has a cruiser around here is a total bag-o-douche. Is there some level of douchebaggery that will be penetrated by me buying this slow revving piece? My other hang up is that I've always preferred Mike Hailwood to Captain America. I don't really care about image, ie: looking like some sort of badass. My own hangup... So has anyone made the trip and not regretted it? Please help dudes. Y'all are awesome. Thanks.

O... the VTX in question...

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 04-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Le So Cal Troll

my dad has an 02 VTX1800 R... very similar styling to the one above (hell even the same color)... and MAN O MAN that thing is a blast to ride. Granted your not going to be throwing into the corners like the 919... but JEZUS CRIST talk about stupid torque and power. I always found it fun to rope some pore sap who thought he was a bad ass on his loud ass harley into a drag race or sorts from a red light... id take off with him staying right next to him, then give the 1800 the 40% of throttle and take off as i wave good by... i cant count the times i did this. And lets not forget to mention the roll on burnouts, and breaking of the rear tire between 1st 2nd and 2nd 3rd shifts....

Id image the 1300 is similar albit not as meaty as the 1800. Still looks like a fun ride. The 1800 was very easy to ride for long distances, great for the not so twisty roads, it always felt planted never nervous and it actually is very easy to move around given its weight. I have never ridden the 1300 but id imagine being so closely designed riding characteristics would be similar.

If you really want to put any harley guy to shame... Rocket 3 Roadster... 2.3L inline 3.. 146bhp..163ftlbs

YouTube - Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Yes you saw that right... a whelie no prob.

post #3 of 47 Old 04-09-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Hmm... Maybe for the same money...

Honda 2005 VTX 1800N

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand

post #4 of 47 Old 04-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Le So Cal Troll

the 1800 is 760ish lbs dry... the 1300 is 680ish.... Ud be very surprised how light the 1800 feels above 3mph.... hell its my first street bike, logged bout 3k miles on my dads vtx before buying my 919.

post #5 of 47 Old 04-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I test road a VTX1300 when I was debating whether to get my Speed Triple or something more suitable for Indiana riding. I hated every minute of it. Even at the most modest lean angles, I was scraping hard parts. Yes, it had great off the line acceleration, but it died so quickly! Now that I have my Speed Triple, I have a comfy riding position, more power than really neccessary, and something different than 99% of everyone else.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #6 of 47 Old 04-10-2010, 07:03 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You have to short shift them, they are sort of like the anti-matter of a sportbike.

Shift quick, or you'll fall flat on your face - shift quick, you'll stay in the powerband and grin ear to ear.

Cornering clearance is limited, but as long as the footbegs/boards are not rigidly mounted, they move enough to let you get as crazy as anyone needs to get on the street - and you can never give flying sparks enough credit.

The 1300 is weak but responds well to pipes and a carb tune (generally the main jet is too big anyway, slightly larger slow jet, tweeks to the needle setting and air screw, fun and easy stuff).

And the 13 makes the right sounds, as mentioned, that single pin crank just makes great music - with the right pipes.

The 1800 is a real powerhouse, I still have my quickest 60' time on one - in the stoplight wars, it is darn near impossible to beat a well ridden big bore VTwin - too much torque and it gets put to the ground in a manner than you know you've altered the earths rotation -

But miss a short shift, or run them for too far, most any 600cc sportbike will leave you for dead.

Anyway, worst case, buy it, hate it, sell it, move on. Better to of bought a motorcycle you did not end up loving than to of never bought one at all.

Life is too short, give it a try, the only people that will rag on you for it are people you're probably better off without anyway.

post #7 of 47 Old 04-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Milites Gregarius

I did it, I had a 2004 VTX 1300 (black & beautiful) and sold it in 2007, then March of 2009 I had a choice on a new 2007 919 or a screaming yellow 2007 VTX 1300 again...I liked the everything about the newer VTX but deceided to buy the 919 because it looked different than all others out there with the plastic shells on the streets now, it had the proven CB900 motor history etc., fyi, it took me a couple hours looking at both options when I was at the dealer ready to buy. I am very happy with the 919, it is a blast to ride. NO REGRETS HERE

post #8 of 47 Old 04-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Tried a cruiser sometime ago. Thought I would like to set back and enjoy the scenery. The problem for me was I tried to ride it like you would a sportbike or 9er. Shaft drive drops the rear when you let off the gas, so I was constantly grinding stuff in the corners. Decided it wasn't for me after all.

Might be just the ticket for you though.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #9 of 47 Old 04-10-2010, 07:13 AM
Milites Gregarius

forgot to mention, I found the 1800 big and BuLkY and I'm 6' 250#

post #10 of 47 Old 04-10-2010, 07:17 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthorn64 View Post
forgot to mention, I found the 1800 big and BuLkY and I'm 6' 250#
I'm 6'4" and around that same weight -

Yeah, the eighteen is big and bulky.

Better the bike than the women!

Seriously, once adapted, I never had any problems with it. The roll on power, awesome burnouts and the "posture" made it a blast for a period in my riding career.

Again, better to of tried it than to not of.

Me, I too prefer the 919 or that "UJM" style of machine. I'm not into the sit up and beg riding position that puts so much weight on your back - the opposite extreme of a sport bike.

But, that torque is addictive, a properly tuned VTX1800 is something that is best experienced, they are bad to the bone!

post #11 of 47 Old 04-10-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Man, I really hate decisions. If the 919 wasn't such a good bike, this would be a no-brainer. Any thoughts on a 750 Shadow? Maybe I can find one cheap enough that I can refinance and get the Shadow and keep the 919. One for daily, one for Sunday Best. I'm sure the Shadows a real pooch compared to a VTX, but aren't all cruisers compared to the 9s? C'mon you sages of motorcycle wisdom!

post #12 of 47 Old 04-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but I am kind of in the same boat. I love my ZX9R, but would like to have something to do 2 up rides with the wife. I can't get rid of my current bike and move totally to cruiserland. If I could find a something that has the sportbike excitement of my ninja and could also do decent duties 2-up it would be great. If not, I am thinking about buying an inexpensive cruiser as a second bike.

As for the Shadow....a good friend of mine had a 750 Shadow. I rode it a few times and it was kind of fun for a change. I definitely would not want one as my only bike.

post #13 of 47 Old 04-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhonda1987 View Post
Man, I really hate decisions. If the 919 wasn't such a good bike, this would be a no-brainer. Any thoughts on a 750 Shadow? Maybe I can find one cheap enough that I can refinance and get the Shadow and keep the 919. One for daily, one for Sunday Best. I'm sure the Shadows a real pooch compared to a VTX, but aren't all cruisers compared to the 9s? C'mon you sages of motorcycle wisdom!
The Yamaha Warrior is likely the only cruiser I would own (again) if I was looking for a cruiser to enjoy. It is one of the more powerful cruisers (stock vs stock), but more importantly, it is likely the best handling cruiser ever made. And, it doesn't hurt that it is a good looking bike!!!

post #14 of 47 Old 04-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJM View Post
I'm 6'4" and around that same weight -

Yeah, the eighteen is big and bulky.

Better the bike than the women!

Seriously, once adapted, I never had any problems with it. The roll on power, awesome burnouts and the "posture" made it a blast for a period in my riding career.

Again, better to of tried it than to not of.

Me, I too prefer the 919 or that "UJM" style of machine. I'm not into the sit up and beg riding position that puts so much weight on your back - the opposite extreme of a sport bike.

But, that torque is addictive, a properly tuned VTX1800 is something that is best experienced, they are bad to the bone!
pretty much my thoughts right there on my dads vtx1800 ... i quickly learned to short shift it and never had anyone who wanted to drag take me. it felt big at first but the weight quickly disappeared.

and like you said im more into the seating position of a 919 or speed triple... half way between a cruiser position and a crotch rocket.

Ask your dealer if you could take the bike out on an extended test ride to check out the 1300 or w/e bike to get a better opinion of the bike.

Like others have said, you may or may not like a crusier but only way to know is to try. you could always split the difference and grab a new yamaha Vmax

post #15 of 47 Old 04-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Now you have me thinking about buying a second bike! How can I do this without the wife knowing??

1997 Yamaha VMax ( V-Max )

post #16 of 47 Old 04-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919Rev View Post
Now you have me thinking about buying a second bike! How can I do this without the wife knowing??

1997 Yamaha VMax ( V-Max )
go new vmax! 2009 + vmax.... 197hp 123ftlbs OF AWESOMENESS!

post #17 of 47 Old 04-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
go new vmax! 2009 + vmax.... 197hp 123ftlbs OF AWESOMENESS!
You mean this old thing??

YouTube - 2009 Yamaha (Star) VMAX 2 min version

post #18 of 47 Old 04-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Discen

I used to have a 1300, and my one buddy just bought an 1800. The 1800 is the way to go, the 1300 will leave you wanting and wishing you had bought the 18. My buddy who bought the 18 also has a busa, and he rides the VTX more, so it is all in your flavor. There is not much like seeing a big bore VTwin launch off the line and burn second for what seems like forever. I say do it.

post #19 of 47 Old 04-10-2010, 01:28 PM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I did it a year ago.....

I loved my 919, but it just wasnt my riding style. I didnt use 50% of its potential ...... and I just felt I couldnt lay back and ride it relaxed.

So I went to this:

Man..... an I enjoying riding!!! I am so comfortable, and just really enjoy this hobby again...

I also looked at the VTX, and was very close to going for a VTX 1800, I just couldnt consider the 1300 with the single disc up front.

The Speedmaster is just a joy to ride..... light , and handles very well.

IF you want a bigger cruiser , I HIGHLY recommend you look at the Triumph Thunderbird..... You wont regret it....

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #20 of 47 Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Wow, lotsa Triumph Fan boys on here... lol jk. After a lot, and I do mean a LOT of soul searching, I've decided that while I'd be much more comfortable on a cruiser, my heart wouldn't be in it. To quote a Hardly Ableson Bumper sticker: four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul. Well, nothing stirs my soul quite like that four cylinder growl and freight train like thrust of the 919. I want an engine that can rev to 10,000 rpms. I want a little bit of a lean into the wind. I want to get deep into corners. I want chain drive. In short, I'd rather ride fast as hell and suffer a little discomfort than ride in a slow, steady cadence with something between my legs that sounds like the human heartbeat. Thank you all, but the 919 isn't going anywhere.

Oh, Triumph guys... I really would like to own one, but its a good trip to the nearest Triumph dealer. Maybe someday. Thanks.

post #21 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 04:12 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Maybe a good compromise would be a sport tourer, like an ST, FJR, or Concourse....plenty of power and more comfort. One of those will most likely be my next bike purchase.

post #22 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 05:34 AM
Tesserarius

I think you made the right choise, I was like you and wanted to get into the whole cruiser thing, heck my dad and brother both own one, so I kinda wanted to "fit in" , so I traded my at the the time fjr 1300 for a almost brand new rs warrior, the bike was alot of fun but cornered for crap, my pegs and exhaust pipe were always scraping in every turn, my back hurt from the constant "C" ridieng position, so I bought a new seat with back rest, it fixed the problem but I was still missing one thing, inline four speed, so I sold the warrior at a huge loss and picked up my 919, its truly the best bike ive EVER owned.
It just does everything I need, and is way more comfortable than any bike I have had before it, that includes the fjr which always felt like I was in a oven.

I have done alot of searching for the bike that fits me and well the 919 fits the bill.

My list of other bikes include: Honda shadow spirit, Yamaha fz1, Triumph thunderbird sport, Yamaha fjr, Road star warrior....

I would never sell my 919, if anything I would add a bike to the stable, but im sure it would sit to much.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #23 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 08:56 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Hey GTO. What is it about the niner that says :I like it fast and hard all the time? It's wierd. Only sometimes did I want to wring out the nightie. One of the reasons I would consider some other type myself. Or maybe I should shut up and ride.

Mr Honda ? 1300 or 1800 of honda reliability. ride them both then pick one. I think you already have.

post #24 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
The Yamaha Warrior is likely the only cruiser I would own (again) if I was looking for a cruiser to enjoy. It is one of the more powerful cruisers (stock vs stock), but more importantly, it is likely the best handling cruiser ever made. And, it doesn't hurt that it is a good looking bike!!!
Not to start an argument or anything, but I'd take my old Suzuki M50 over any other mid-size cruiser (750-800cc). Better acceleration and handling, fuel injection and shaft drive (hard to find both those in mid-size cheap cruisers), and easy to maintain. My buddy with a Warrior had to remove the exhaust pipes and an engine cover just to change the oil filter. Ouch! And even in the minor twisties around Dallas, my buddies on VTX 13 and 1800s would complain about my speed through the corners. They were dragging parts trying to keep up with my "little" bike.

I miss the old girl sometimes, but the riding posture just killed my lower back after an hour or so in the saddle. All my cruiser guys insisted I just needed to change seat, add backrest and floorboards, but I really needed a different bike. Glad I did, and I'm never going back to owning a cruiser, but I would like to run around on one once in a while. Here's a pic for old time's sake:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jay m50 pic 2.jpg (124.6 KB, 10 views)

post #25 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
Not to start an argument or anything, but I'd take my old Suzuki M50 over any other mid-size cruiser (750-800cc). Better acceleration and handling, fuel injection and shaft drive (hard to find both those in mid-size cheap cruisers), and easy to maintain. My buddy with a Warrior had to remove the exhaust pipes and an engine cover just to change the oil filter. Ouch! And even in the minor twisties around Dallas, my buddies on VTX 13 and 1800s would complain about my speed through the corners. They were dragging parts trying to keep up with my "little" bike.

I miss the old girl sometimes, but the riding posture just killed my lower back after an hour or so in the saddle. All my cruiser guys insisted I just needed to change seat, add backrest and floorboards, but I really needed a different bike. Glad I did, and I'm never going back to owning a cruiser, but I would like to run around on one once in a while. Here's a pic for old time's sake:

Well, the Warrior definitely isn't a mid-sized cruiser, and I have no idea what your friend was doing during oil changes (given my bike didn't have that issue). The only cruiser that I would given a chance against a Warrior in the twisties is that little Triumph shown earlier.

post #26 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Well, the Warrior definitely isn't a mid-sized cruiser, and I have no idea what your friend was doing during oil changes (given my bike didn't have that issue). The only cruiser that I would given a chance against a Warrior in the twisties is that little Triumph shown earlier.
Yeah I never had to do that for a oil change either.

and the new triumph thunderbird claims to be the best handling crusier on the market, for what thats worth.

All cruisers are big heavy bikes that have large amounts of tourqe and thats it. plus to mention WAY to loud with aftermarket pipes.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #27 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Optio

Maybe you were just a better rider than you want to take credit for. My little old M50 was pretty good in the corners, though it wasn't a sport bike by any stretch. I do remember one incident that was pretty revealing. I was following a car a little too closely, getting ready to pass as soon as we hit a straight, when a dead armadillo suddenly appeared from underneath the car's wheels. Those things are like armored speed bumps. I was already at full lean (for a cruiser), so I made a split-second decision and plowed right over it. The M took it with a little hop and then settled right down like no big deal.

I didn't believe my Warrior-riding buddy about the oil filter, either. He was taking it to the dealer for an oil change, and I was giving him grief about it -- until he showed me where the filter was located. There really was no way to get it off without removing the pipes and an engine cover. Maybe his was a newer model than yours. Hard to say. It was an 1100 that he recently traded for a VTX 1800 when Honda was giving huge discounts on old stock still sitting on dealer floors.

On the weight issue, it's not a big deal when the thing is moving, but it can be an issue in parking lots and slow-speed situations. Was in a Wal-Mart parking lot with a friend on a VTX 1300 recently, and just as we rounded a corner to leave, a woman backed out of a space without looking. My buddy slammed on the brake with the handlebars at full lock and went over like a ton of bricks. Saved it with a foot down, but it was leaned over too far for him to pick up. He couldn't move. If he let go and jumped off, the bike would fall, but in the position he caught it, he didn't have the strength to get it back upright. I had to park and jump in real quick before the whole thing came down on his ankle.

If I was going back to a cruiser, it would definitely be a mid-size just because of the weight issue alone. All my friends with big cruisers are always worried about parking in exactly the right position so they aren't trying to move the bike even slightly uphill when it comes time to leave. Sort of a pain in the butt after a while.

post #28 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Sike

Quote:

I didn't believe my Warrior-riding buddy about the oil filter, either. He was taking it to the dealer for an oil change, and I was giving him grief about it -- until he showed me where the filter was located. There really was no way to get it off without removing the pipes and an engine cover. Maybe his was a newer model than yours. Hard to say. It was an 1100 that he recently traded for a VTX 1800 when Honda was giving huge discounts on old stock still sitting on dealer floors.

I'm pretty sure that Yamaha only made one Warrior (motorcycle, that is), and it is a 1700 (or 1690ish called 1700). I like the look of the Honda VTX's, but I don't like the way they ride (i.e., I just don't think they do anything all that well, but will likely keep going forever). I'm guessing that the general buying public was with me on this one, because Honda has a "million" of them left that they can't hardly give away. If I wanted a cruiser just to cruise that would last forever, I would go with the Honda. If I wanted a cruiser to enjoy, I would go with the Warrior, Rocket, or little Triumph.

post #29 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

If I were to buy a second bike and money was no object and it HAD to be a cruiser, I would be getting the Triumph Thunderbird. Since I live in the real world, I would be getting a 2000+ Honda Shadow Spirit. The Spirit has a chain drive (love it over a shaft), comes stock with a drag bar, and after putting 150 miles on a buddy's was comfortable and handled very nicely. Yes, I was dragging pegs in every corner, but the thing is so light that I always knew where it was planted. In addition, you can find them very cheaply around here. I've seen several locally going for around $2,500!

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #30 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Tirone

Well here's my two cents. I bought my 07 919 a few months ago and love it. I have a 07 Harley Low Rider (yes a Harley). My Harley friends scorn me for buying a Honda, but like I told them, I've owned Honda's since the 60's and I wanted something pure. Like Harley and the V-twin, Honda started the four cyl. bike market and I still like to cut up a little. My friend has a VTX1300 and when we swapped bikes, I wouldn't have known it was running if he did't have pipes on it. It is super smooth, no vibration, pretty good acceleration and has pretty low maintenance. Overall a good deal. Yes, the Harley's are expensive, generally 20K out the door, but nothing rides, sounds or looks like them. You ought to at least demo ride one. Most dealerships have no problem with test rides, unlike the Jap folks. The 919 is now my main bike transportation.
The Harley has now been relegated to the weekend ride with the wife, she loves it.
Just a thought.

post #31 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 01:38 PM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I think I would have to have the Triumph Rocket III myself.......

post #32 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Just coming from leftfield here, but spoke to a riding couple ths weekend that's into and own all sorts of bikes. They reckon the M109 is an excellent cruiser that's no slouch:

Suzuki New Zealand - Boulevard M109R

post #33 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Optio

Ah, ya got me on the Warrior thing, sike. I was thinking all the Yamaha cruisers went by the Warrior tag, kinda like all the Suzuki cruisers carry the Boulevard tag now. My mistake. Never known anyone who rode the actual 1700 Warrior, so I can't say one way or the other how well those got around.

I definitely love that Rocket III commercial floating around the net. Sound of that bike (as well as how the stunt rider handles it) is awesome.

I sort of agree with Shaughnessy, as far as preferring mid-sized cruisers over the heavyweights, but until just recently, Honda cruisers were behind the times with carbs and chain drives. I don't mind chain maintenance on sport bikes. But those dang cruisers have so much chrome and other crap that needs polishing that I just don't feel like adding one more thing to the list.

On the HD thing (not like you have to apologize for it, Tenn.), I wouldn't mind a Sportster 883 for a second type bike. You can pick those up fairly inexpensively, too.

post #34 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Optio

Keep forgetting to compliment GTO on his Triumph. Nice looking bike. Wouldn't worry about the single disc up front, though. Read one study on MC stopping distances not too long ago, and the cruisers (despite their weight on single discs up front) performed almost identically to sport bikes in emergency situations. Please don't call me on this and make me look it up, because I remember it clearly and it's true.

Oh, and MrHonda asked about speed some time ago. Can't speak for the Shadow 750, but my M50 (800cc) would do 0-60 in the mid to low 4 second range. Not sport bike fast, but still way faster than just about any car that costs less than 100 grand. Funny thing is, cars almost never challenge me on the 919, but had plenty of sports cars try to challenge me at stoplights on the M50. I would always dust em up to 60 or 70 and then cut the throttle back to the speed limit and let them go. Never lost one of those battles to a cage. Even a mid-size cruiser can be a lot of fun to wring out.

post #35 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 05:46 PM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Keep forgetting to compliment GTO on his Triumph. Nice looking bike. Wouldn't worry about the single disc up front, though. Read one study on MC stopping distances not too long ago, and the cruisers (despite their weight on single discs up front) performed almost identically to sport bikes in emergency situations. Please don't call me on this and make me look it up, because I remember it clearly and it's true.

Thank you sir.....

I still like the dual disc look..... and my Speedmaster is one of the few mid-size cruisers with dual disc front brakes....

But like I said..... if you want a Bigger cruiser, the Thunderbird is getting un real reviews!!!

On another note..... I am glad to see some cruiser talk on here now..... Sort of felt left out when I sold my 919.....

Will try and become more involved around here again....

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #36 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Immune

I think it all depends on your riding style and your wants. Probably won't know the right answer until after you try though.

I recently had my first two experiences on cruiser/choppers. First bike was a slightly older vstar (something small like a 650). The new experience was fun, but I didn't really find the bike that comfortable. Surprisingly I needed to stretch my legs out more. What was fun was getting back on the 919. I have been getting a little bored with the 919 lately and riding that vstar fixed that!

Second experience was with a custom chopper. 107 ci harley motor with a lot of rake out front. It was a fun experience, but I could definitely not see myself owning something like this. Turning was awkward and the seat sucked. It did get lots of looks though.

Don't steal! The government hates competition.
post #37 of 47 Old 04-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTONUT View Post
Thank you sir.....

I still like the dual disc look..... and my Speedmaster is one of the few mid-size cruisers with dual disc front brakes....

But like I said..... if you want a Bigger cruiser, the Thunderbird is getting un real reviews!!!

On another note..... I am glad to see some cruiser talk on here now..... Sort of felt left out when I sold my 919.....

Will try and become more involved around here again....
I remember you from SVRider.com, too. Glad to see you're not bikeless anymore.

I don't see how anyone can ride a chopper with that rake. Can't imagine trying to turn one of those things!

post #38 of 47 Old 04-12-2010, 03:17 AM
Tirone

I wanted something like my 78 ltd kawasaki but with newer technology and the 919 fills the bill just fine!

post #39 of 47 Old 04-12-2010, 06:21 AM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhonda1987 View Post
If any part of you will still want the rush of acceleration or power then the 750 shadow is not right... I have put ALOT of miles on one and it just doesnt get up and go.

Spoiler:
post #40 of 47 Old 04-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I have the 9er and a Suzuki boulevard. You would be amazed how often I go for the boulevard.

It is cheap, comfortable, and fun. I will keep both, but for me at least the Honda ST1300 maybe the best of both worlds and I intend to buy one sooner or later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode