Doesn't fit anywhere, so cruisers seems likely. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 29 Old 10-12-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Doesn't fit anywhere, so cruisers seems likely.

Well, this isn't even bike related, but I trust you guys. You've never led me astray before and this is the best place ever. Now. We all know how we do on 2 wheels. What about 4 wheels. I've got a chance to pick up a well cared for Porsche 924S, the detuned 944 engine in the 924 body, for about a grand from a guy who's dad passed away and he wants to get rid of the car. Anyone have any experience with the 924S or Porsches in general? I've always had a thing for them, being German and all that and I'm like 85% German by heritage. That, and if Electronic Arts dedicates an entire Need For Speed game to a certain marque, you know they're good. C'mon guys. Need some input. Good deal for $1000? Things to look for? Thanks.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Pilus Posterior

Sounds very cheap from my side of the world.

I'd look at the usual stuff - service records and general overall condition for age and year.

Sounds like you may be on to a winner.

post #3 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Tesserarius

One thing to think about is that while the Europeans do make some really nice cars. They are usually considerably more expensive to repair.

post #4 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 05:23 AM
Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock86 View Post
One thing to think about is that while the Europeans do make some really nice cars. They are usually considerably more expensive to repair.
I spoke with my Volvo mechanic about Porsche parts and service (they dealt with exotics as well). They pretty much said what schrock said, expensive maintenance!

I love the price you're being offered but have it checked out by a mechanic before you pull the trigger, just in case it is a lemon.

post #5 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 06:35 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Along with what schrock & Davreece have said, I'd also add this:
Consider your location

How far do you have to travel to get a certified tech to service the car when something goes wrong with it? Des Moines? Minneapolis? Omaha? Maybe that's stretching it a bit, but growing up in farm country, I found that you had to go to the city to find the fancy stuff.

Not trying to deter you at all, just trying to inject a dose of reality.
I also like the deal you've been offered, but the cost of parts & labor will offset the purchase price if something goes wrong.

I've been told by a member here who did most of his own work on Subarus, that when he switched to BMW that parts were more expensive. He still did most of his own work on them but there was a difference in the way things are put together.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #6 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 06:38 AM
HamBone

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock86 View Post
No doubt, if you are not the main wrench on this car, you will probably need deep pockets.....Even if you ARE the main wrench, you STILL may need deep pockets!

post #7 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 07:02 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

A friend of mine at work moderates a VW board. He used to own a 944 Turbo, drives a Jetta turbo, and his wife drives a Corrado VR6. He's familiar with German cars. When asked by new members on his board regarding the reliability of German cars, he states, "The literal translation of reliable from German is WELL MAINTAINED". In other words, they need a lot of work a lot of the time. He loved his 944 Turbo, but it spent a lot of time in the shop. Maybe he had a lemon.

For $1000 it would be hard to say no. Being that it was only made a few years it may have some collector value.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #8 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Just talked to my VW/Porsche guy at work and he basically said it's a no brainer for that price. I say drive it if possible and if it "moves" you, go for it. Have a summer of fun with your Porsche next year.

Check these results. Some of these are listed for upwards of $6K.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1286985821889

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #9 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Thanks Guys. Yea, I once thought about getting a BMW 3 series, but ouch damn those parts are expensive. I've always wanted a Porsche, in fact, there used to be a body shop here in town and when the guy packed up he left and old beat up 924 behind the shop. I was like 15 at the time and i wanted that car SOOOO bad. Never materialized and I ended up with a Mercury... Nice car, but still not a Porsche. I think if I pick it up, I'll change out the plugs, wires, oil... all the stuff you do to an old bike. Maybe if its a lemon i'll drop a 919 motor in it. That baby'd haul.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #10 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 AM
jrj
Optio

Parts availability may be an issue. I bought a rather rare Audi from my uncle and I'm having some trouble getting parts. My uncle had to wait 2 months for a brake rotor once. And parts are pricey when you can get 'em. I knew that going into it and I would do it again. As long as you make a well informed decision and do your homework (checking for chronic problems etc.) you should be ok getting it.

post #11 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 10:47 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I've owned and worked on a Porsche 928S for 4 years (4.6L Front Engine V8, 50/50 weight distribution). I used it for a daily driver and took it to Auto-X events 3-4 times a month. The biggest thing on the German cars is definitely maintenance and parts cost. Availability is there, but I'd say 90% of your parts are coming in the mail.

If you keep the maintenance, those cars will give you back a lot of memorable miles. Forget about it if you're bringing it into a shop for work. The only time I ever went to a Porsche specific place was to have the water pump and timing belt done. I'm sure they'll gladly accept your paycheck though..you're almost better off finding a VW repair shop. All maintenance that I'm able to do with my tools, I've done myself. A cheap poorly maintained one will cost you more in parts/time/labor than buying one considerably more that's been kept in shape. And once you start working on one, you'll come to realize that Porsche (maybe all German) engineers have a non-conventional way of putting components together. Also, they have a way of cramming everything into tight spaces. Maybe this isn't as bad on a 924 since its a 4cyl, but the 928 was knuckle-busting galore.

Find the 924/944 forums/websites and join, you'll get all the help you'll need there including a checklist for buying used. Once you find the forum, check to see where everyone gets their OEM parts and what are usually the parts that go first on specific models. Check the prices... If you're still interested after seeing costs, and if it's a well maintained car as you say it is, for the price I'd say pull the trigger. That's a steal. But definitely check into 924 forums/sites so you know what you're getting into.

Keep it mostly stock, otherwise its even more of a money pit than the 919. But with that said, the best mods are definitely on suspension. Forget about getting more ponies unless you're pouring money into a charger. Koni adjustable shocks with Eibach springs paired along with the right bushings, sway bars, etc and some Bridgestone S03 and you'll feel like you're glued on the road. A borla exhaust would be a nice tone too.

post #12 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

post #13 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 01:02 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Money pit, but then again it's only a grand.

post #14 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Well, its done. I officially own a Porsche. Needs paint, but the engine and tranny run well. Carpet is nice, and the only blems on the interior are the seats are cracked in the creases of the foam. Super nice. Got it for $800, so I'm really jazzed about it. If nothing else, I'll keep it for a season and hopefully sell it for more than I bought it for. Hopefully people have more spending money come spring. I imagine the Shadow and the CB500T going away then. Maybe Scooty Puff Sr. as well. Don't know. That's a ways off. Pics to follow.

post #15 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Le So Cal Troll

have fun with it... dont put tons of money into it and sell it down the road.... never liked that body style of porche.... and IMO you can get a MUCH better car for you money over a current porche. nissan GTR would spank the CRAP out of just about every porche, even the ones priced 2 to 3x as it. haha.

But for 800 why not... fulfill a dream thats a cheap CHEAP price to pay!

post #16 of 29 Old 10-14-2010, 04:47 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Awesome price, have fun. Make it nice and pretty and you should be able to sell for more than you paid.

post #17 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Optio

Is the 924s the comback of the 924 after it was replaced by the 944? If not the 924 has an audi engine.
I just got my wife a 944 this past summer. Its freakin' beutiful. Classic sportss car lines. It is painfully slow but my wife looks good driving it and thats about all that counts since she typically has a huge smile when in it.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #18 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Well, Audi ceased production of the 924 engine in 1985, so Porsche took the 944 motor, detuned it for better mid and lower range (very 919-ish), dropped that in and re-released it as the 924S.

post #19 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Pics?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #20 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Like I said, needs a paint job, and various other mechanical odds and sods...

post #21 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Very cool car. Fresh coat of paint and a lil TLC, you will have a nice ride!

post #22 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Optio

Track car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #23 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Tracking it would be fun... right now tho, just gunna enjoy the ride.

post #24 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Optio

Just a thought. Wouldn't thiss fit the criteria of "off Topic" more than a cruiser thread?

It will be a nice ride to enjoy. Not to mension economical. Those things get crazy good on gas. I can't imagine with a detuned 944 power plant how effecient that thing is.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #25 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Yea, Off Topic would work, but i didn't think those showed up on the sidebar on the main page, and I wanted to share with all of you.

post #26 of 29 Old 10-22-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Well, keep your fingers crossed everyone. I've had an offer on the Porsche. $2000 more than what I paid for it. To me, it's as good as gone. I had it for a week. No one can say that I never owned a Porsche, but the money... ooo that's a PC3 and a shield and bags for the Shadow. Even that slow pig of a cruiser is more fun than the Porsche. Good car, but I'll stick to 2 wheels. So, keep fingers crossed that he buys it.

post #27 of 29 Old 10-22-2010, 11:31 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

200% profit in 2 weeks, not too shabby of an investment. Told you it was a steal..

post #28 of 29 Old 10-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Tesserarius

Nice. Hopefully it works out

post #29 of 29 Old 10-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

That would be cool if you could flip it that quick. If not a coat of paint and that thing will look good.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode