Cruiser or Tourer? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 07-27-2008, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Cruiser or Tourer?

Hmmm ...

Is it a cruiser or a tourer? I'm not certain? But, for all the H-D haters and bashers ... this ole girl runs like a champ and has never left me in doubt, trouble or dropped a microbe of oil!

I like listening to Harley bashers ... it makes me laugh. It reminds me of this kid in college that started ragging on my car. It was the first new car I ever bought. I was 18 and a bit proud of it. It was only a '86 Dodge Shadow Turbo, but it was mine. When I asked the kid bashing my car what he drove? No answer? He didn't even have a car ... oh, okay. I left it at that.

Here we are waiting out a triple tornado warning in western PA last week. She did over 3k miles in two trips. That's my brief case in double hefty bags that were vacuum air sucked ... it worked through several hours of torrential thunderstorms.

Even though I've had the seat inners completely modified, I gained extra comfort from the gel/memory foam pad I picked up in Grand Junction, CO.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Sounded like a hooligan bike when you took off from Keagans...

After having this experience, would you prefer touring on HD rather than a ST or Goldwing? I ask, because I can't seem to shake the idea of getting a touring bike like the Goldwing or Rocket.

post #3 of 15 Old 07-27-2008, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
Sounded like a hooligan bike when you took off from Keagans...

After having this experience, would you prefer touring on HD rather than a ST or Goldwing? I ask, because I can't seem to shake the idea of getting a touring bike like the Goldwing or Rocket.
I'm all Gangsta! I know it's a bit loud. I'm even getting tired of it. I'm thinking about putting on the full "fish-tails" with a bit of baffle work to quiet it down while only loosing a bit of performance.

Hondafi4guy and I were talking about the touring thing. The H-D is definitely not a toruring rig, but it can do the duty. I was getting 40+ mpg with the throttle thumb wheel locked doing 80-90 mph. Got two Virginia State Trooper Certificates of Recognition to prove it! I'm actually enjoying eating road miles. It's probably because I have a bit of time these days and can do it. We talked about what to get to truly eat the road miles with efficient comfort. In serious consideration is a Gold-Wing! On the used and interesting side ... I've always liked the Valkyre Interstate. But, it may be too close to the H-D. The FJR isn't totally out of the picture. The C-14 is not comfortable for me.

What I may do in the near future is drop the foot pegs on the XX 1/2 in, get some bar risers, Givi brackets for the box I have on the KLR to fit the XX and see how it lives as a tourer? I don't think I'll get the room I'm looking for?

I liked the KLR room and seating position for the long-haul. So, something close to that position will work.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Beautiful, as another HD rider i also enjoy listening to others bash the brand. but 1 thing is i have had nothing but wonderful worry free miles from my 03 Road King. BTW where in western PA were you?

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #5 of 15 Old 07-27-2008, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd31goalie View Post
Beautiful, as another HD rider i also enjoy listening to others bash the brand. but 1 thing is i have had nothing but wonderful worry free miles from my 03 Road King. BTW where in western PA were you?
I believe it was Washington off 70. I needed gas ... the Tornado Warning just reinforced that I was hungery and should take a few minutes to eat.

This ole girl has over 11k now and I've not had to adjust primary or change the fluid. I'll do that this week or next. Only one rear tire. Brakes still great. One new battery (my fault). Regular oil changes with 20-50 syn. It has crazy amounts of engine work and still runs and starts like a champ!

post #6 of 15 Old 07-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Tell me more about that seat gel. I noticed you gave it a positive comment from the Brokeback trip.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #7 of 15 Old 07-27-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
Tell me more about that seat gel. I noticed you gave it a positive comment from the Brokeback trip.
It saved my arse on the way back from Utah!

The funny part is that it got lost for 2-days. I left it on the roof of the vehicle Wednesday night. Thursday morning the S.O. went to work and I forgot about the pad. I found it in the middle "suicide lane" of a major road a few days later! It was muddied and flithy from all the traffic and rain. I threw the whole thing in the washer on gentle cycle. Took it apart and threw it into the dryer for a partial drying, then let it sit out. The lycra covering is ripped a bit, but the rest is in perfect condition.

It is actually made up of three components. The lycra cover with a soft "non-slip" (neoprene type) bottom, an approx. 1/2" medical gel pad, and approx. 1/2" of memory foam with a "non-slip" tacky backing (similar to thin area rug padding) on top of the gel pad.

In the past I've done the Mass to Myrtle Beach trip on the H-D with out modified seat on the way down. Got the seat modified during Bike Week and rode it back with a Butt Buffers mod. That was day and night. This additional pad just added a bit more comfort and insurance. Worth every penny! It made a 1600+ mile day of riding tolerable. I wasn't feeling much discomfort until about the 800-900 mile mark. Quite remarkable, IMHO! Not cheap at $130 retail, but I got it at 10 or 15% off.

For long distances, I ride with a good pair of bike shorts and "Monkey Butt" Powder.

There is a sheepskin dealer/tailor up on Rt. 2 near Greenfiel, MA. I'm going to have a custom made cover for the pad. I'll leave the bottom the "non-slip" neoprene and just the top all soft and fluffy.

post #8 of 15 Old 07-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Thanks! Is that a cruiser-only seat mod (butt buffer)? The local Cycle Gear has the pad add-on. I'll try it out. I've tried to find the sweet spot with my Corbin, but no dice. Gonna sell it as soon as I get the stocker redone. I don't do the crazy mileage you do, but every little bit of comfort helps. I'm noticing that even with allot of saddle time, the butt burn starts at about 200 miles. I rode 341 miles Saturday to WV, and the last 141 were tough.

Crazy that you found it in the middle of the road!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #9 of 15 Old 07-27-2008, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
Thanks! Is that a cruiser-only seat mod (butt buffer)? The local Cycle Gear has the pad add-on. I'll try it out. I've tried to find the sweet spot with my Corbin, but no dice. Gonna sell it as soon as I get the stocker redone. I don't do the crazy mileage you do, but every little bit of comfort helps. I'm noticing that even with allot of saddle time, the butt burn starts at about 200 miles. I rode 341 miles Saturday to WV, and the last 141 were tough.

Crazy that you found it in the middle of the road!
I actually passed this black thing and said to myself, "no f'n way!" I turned around stopped in the "suicide lane" and just laughed out loud!

I just started riding like this because I have a bit of time. Remember, I haven't put miles on the bikes in a few years.

"Butt Buffers" have pads and also do custom seat mods. I've used them for custom seat mods only. This pad was bought at a Harley dealership in Grand Junction, CO. It is shaped to fit H-D seats, but worked great on the KLR. The "wings" rolled over the edges of the KLR and added width that tremedously helped me!

Not the greatest pic:

I still want to try Spencer for modify my KLR seat. Frank, I believe is his name, was very responsive to my e-mails and willing to do what he could and gave me great feedback. He's definitely worth a try IMHO for me.

The only time I've tried Corbin is with the RC. Obvious improvement, but that's not saying much?

post #10 of 15 Old 07-27-2008, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

brev, I found this on another site:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70026822

I think I may just pick up one of these at the IKEA in New Haven on my way back from NYC tomorrow and getting handly with the sewing machine. Yes, I am a mighty fine tailor and seamstress. I'll create a template, use some area rug backing and make a "pillow case" or cover for my present pad. It should make it even better. May look a little "foo-foo", but being natural wool ... it will naturally repel moisture, remove heat in the summer and retain heat when cooler. Worth $20 and about 30 minutes of time to try.

post #11 of 15 Old 07-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

I like the Dodge Shadow Turbo and actually wanted one for awhile! I wanted the dark green with brown rag top i believe. The turbo was supposedly pretty impressive wasn't it for the time I mean?

Hows that Springer front end handle bumps? I love the looks of them. Which if i ever get lucky enough to have several bikes one of them will have that and maybe a set of Ape Hangers, ever had any experience with those?? On a different type HD bike though. Sounds like you got my problem never happy with all the different bikes gots to try them all!! If time and money permits find a good deal, lots of them on used BMW LT's unsure why but almost checked a few out. Notice i said almost !!

post #12 of 15 Old 07-28-2008, 04:08 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Thats a great machine, but of course you wont hear any HD bashing from me!

I'll be loading my FXR and heading for Sturgis this Fri, Taking the wife and I am going to have more stuff strapped to my bike than the Beverly Hillbillies.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #13 of 15 Old 07-28-2008, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73 View Post
Thats a great machine, but of course you wont hear any HD bashing from me!

I'll be loading my FXR and heading for Sturgis this Fri, Taking the wife and I am going to have more stuff strapped to my bike than the Beverly Hillbillies.
We need pics. Creative luggage loading is my specialty.

post #14 of 15 Old 07-28-2008, 10:48 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Springer front end is a sexy piece....

Dave... its not so much the bikes (HD) we hate... its the pricks that ride them. And I say that tongue in cheek. If you have ever lived in Milwaukee - you would know what I mean. Here... there is NO OTHER bike to have. This town is full of motorcycle sheep.

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #15 of 15 Old 07-28-2008, 07:40 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
We need pics. Creative luggage loading is my specialty.
I'll make sure to post some of the trip when I get back!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode