Almost bought a new triumph trophy yestetday - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 12-27-2013, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Batman
 
velodesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fargo
Posts: 1,053
Blog Entries: 3
Rep Power: 1
 
I walked in doing my normal day off bike store visit and decided to stroll over to the new trophy se.

Wow, what a kit.

Was almost sold until i realized its a 19k$ bike and i wouldn't ride it until may anyways.

That and the mirror placement was dumb dumb dumb.

But wow, i think i found my next bike. Happy riding for those that can enjoy it and if you get one of these, do a write up.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
velodesign is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 12-27-2013, 08:49 AM
TEXAN
 
MF1VE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 1,524
Rep Power: 1
 


Is the mirror built into the fairing?

MF1VE is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 12-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Why's everything on fire?
 
CB700S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,198
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by velodesign View Post
I walked in doing my normal day off bike store visit and decided to stroll over to the new trophy se.

Wow, what a kit.

Was almost sold until i realized its a 19k$ bike and i wouldn't ride it until may anyways.

That and the mirror placement was dumb dumb dumb.

But wow, i think i found my next bike. Happy riding for those that can enjoy it and if you get one of these, do a write up.
Might want to wait a bit until they get the immobilizer issues worked out.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
CB700S is online now  
 
post #4 of 18 Old 12-27-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Batman
 
velodesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fargo
Posts: 1,053
Blog Entries: 3
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF1VE View Post

Is the mirror built into the fairing?
Yes, you get a nice view of your fists and luggage.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
velodesign is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 12-27-2013, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Batman
 
velodesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fargo
Posts: 1,053
Blog Entries: 3
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post

Might want to wait a bit until they get the immobilizer issues worked out.
Interesting, i did a read on google and found nothing related to this in usa english, seems to be a European thing, much like the hiss issues for a 919.

Can you enlighten me more if this pertains to the usa model as well?

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
velodesign is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 12-28-2013, 12:41 AM
Why's everything on fire?
 
CB700S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,198
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by velodesign View Post
Interesting, i did a read on google and found nothing related to this in usa english, seems to be a European thing, much like the hiss issues for a 919.

Can you enlighten me more if this pertains to the usa model as well?
Yup, especially to the US models. The bike just quits running one day, the problem turns out to be the immobilizer (and/or the ECU) and they replace it. Some time later, happens again.

Some threads of interest:
NEW Tiger 800 xc DEAD for 3+ months (now resolved) - ADVrider
Triumph Tiger 800 - Page 895 - ADVrider
Tiger 800 xc, randomly won't start... ??? - ADVrider
Tiger 800 problems; for reference only please - ADVrider

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
CB700S is online now  
post #7 of 18 Old 12-28-2013, 07:41 AM
Ride with grace.
 
Devin4242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 125
Rep Power: 1
 
I had the same experience dropping by the dealership this fall. Loved it - but it was kinda wide across the tank. It's probably just a matter of getting used to it, just seemed a little awkward. Then when I sat on the R1200RT, all was right with the world. Champagne taste, beer budget....

Devin4242 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 12-28-2013, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Batman
 
velodesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fargo
Posts: 1,053
Blog Entries: 3
Rep Power: 1
 
Oh my, terrible immobilizer trauma. Thanks for the heads up cb. I guess i just fell in love with the idea if a dedicated sport cruiser. What about the f6b?

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
velodesign is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 12-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Why's everything on fire?
 
CB700S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,198
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin4242 View Post
I had the same experience dropping by the dealership this fall. Loved it - but it was kinda wide across the tank. It's probably just a matter of getting used to it, just seemed a little awkward. Then when I sat on the R1200RT, all was right with the world. Champagne taste, beer budget....
...and broken final drives, some of them literally on fire.



Quote:
Originally Posted by velodesign View Post
Oh my, terrible immobilizer trauma. Thanks for the heads up cb. I guess i just fell in love with the idea if a dedicated sport cruiser. What about the f6b?
Haven't heard of them significantly misbehaving. But then, it's a Honda.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
CB700S is online now  
post #10 of 18 Old 12-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Imaginifer
 
HornetMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbus
Posts: 474
Rep Power: 1
 
Mirrors that work...

Final drives that always drive.

Always mobilized.

As good (almost) as a Honda!



Count the number of Iron Butt entrants who rode FJRs this year.

"Keep on 9-in"

HornetMan is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 12-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,111
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetMan View Post
Final drives that always drive.

Always mobilized.

As good (almost) as a Honda!



Count the number of Iron Butt entrants who rode FJRs this year.
My favorite Sport Tourer. I rode one at a demo days a couple of years ago. Really liked it, just not quite ready to tour yet.

marylandmike is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 PM
Community Moderator
 
g00gl3it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,612
Rep Power: 1
  

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

^^ That is a pretty bike. I can see my old self on one of those. Just not old yet, lol...

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
g00gl3it is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 12-30-2013, 08:26 AM
just send it.
 
crakerjac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,600
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
FJRs are VERY comfortable. I had one and the comfort level couldn't be beat. There was quite a bit of buffeting with the windshield, but I didn't want to invest the time and money to fix it.

In the end, it felt like I was driving around my moms Honda Accord. It was quick and practical, but just didn't have that sporty feel.



[This space for rent]
crakerjac is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 01-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Tirone
 
chas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 1
 
I demo rode a Trophy SE (and several other Triumphs) at a dealer rally last summer. Having a BMW R1200RT, I figured I would like the SE. I did, except for one thing: I couldn't get the windshield to go high enough. I'm a normal height, 5'10", guy, so I was surprised.

chas is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 01-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Honda919Rider #1
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,338
Rep Power: 0
 
I've got a old school FJ1200 and I really like it.

The midrange power is incredible, the bike is super comfortable, and it is super easy to work on.

Seriously, how much more access do you need to do a valve adjustment?



FJ1200 Slideshow by UJMsRule | Photobucket

Not sure I want anything new and complex again, at least in the foreseeable future. My XX is modern enough at this point in my life.

Then again, if I hit the lottery......

Steve is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 01-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Tesserarius
 
Todi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 625
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
My favorite Sport Tourer. I rode one at a demo days a couple of years ago. Really liked it, just not quite ready to tour yet.
Mike,
I plan to do the Iron But early spring (weather permitting). R U up for it? It would be nice if we can get few more 9-ners from the area and do a group ride.

Todi is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 01-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,111
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todi View Post
Mike,
I plan to do the Iron But early spring (weather permitting). R U up for it? It would be nice if we can get few more 9-ners from the area and do a group ride.
I might be up for it. I think the most I have done was 500 miles in a day.

marylandmike is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 01-16-2014, 08:48 AM
Tirone
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: IS
Posts: 35
Rep Power: 1
 
Well, noone can blame you for picking the pricey bikes..
Come May, you'll have a good time picking out the bike though. Might be better to place a deposit and start your search for the perfect one a month before May.

hellboy7 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome