'04 FJR1300 - Ride Impressions and Pics - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 56 Old 05-14-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

'04 FJR1300 - Ride Impressions and Pics

As those of you who were following auction bike thread know, I bought an '04 FJR1300 on Wednesday. Picked it up from the auction today and rode it back to my shop, got it cleaned up and compared it to my '07 FJR. A few obvious visual differences between the 1st gen and 2nd gen models, headlights, taillights, turnsignals, mirrors, fairing, seat, body trim. It also doesn't have the adustable headlights and seat height adustment, does still have the electric windshield though. Less difference in the way they ride, the '04 only has 2300 miles and compares very favorably to my '07.

If anything, it might actually be a little faster, it's a non-ABS model which makes it lighter. I can tell it's lighter because it's much easier to put up on the center stand, the '07 is about all I can handle by myself and the '04 pops right up no problem. It's not quite as smooth on start up and has more of a whistling sound when revved than the newer one, but all in all it's very much the same riding experience. Which of course means it's fast, comfortable, stable as a rock and corners amazingly well for a big bike.

It was pretty dirty when I bought it, saw a couple of scuffs but realized today when I washed it that it's fallen over at some point on the right side. Not bad damage but marks on the saddlebag, fairing and mirror, a bit of rubbing compound and some touch up paint and it will hardly be noticeable.

I'm thinking that I'll keep this one and go ahead and sell the '07, it only has 500 more miles on the odometer and is less than half the price, so it makes sense. I can recoup my investment from the '07, still have a nice sport touring bike in the stable and money in the bank. ABS would be nice, but it has big strong brakes so I'm not too worried about that. I didn't notice any of the infamous 1st gen engine heat today, but it was cool out, I was wearing riding pants and only rode about 20 miles. Already thinking of exhausts, powercommanders, sliders and the like.

Here are some pics comparing the old and the new...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 05-14-2009, 11:54 PM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Pretty similar visually - yay mod time!

post #3 of 56 Old 05-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

where the hell is that jealousy smilie when i need it...

post #4 of 56 Old 05-15-2009, 04:00 AM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Both look good. I'd sell the 04 and keep the 07, either way you will make some $$$ offsetting the price of your 07. I would much rather have the ABS model for a big bike like that when riding in rain or snow.

No matter what you chose, you win either way.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #5 of 56 Old 05-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Keep both, buy three more, paint them all yellow and add them to your taxi fleet then you can write them off.
They both look like fun

Dan

Dan
post #6 of 56 Old 05-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

^ Ha now i like his way of thinking!!

post #7 of 56 Old 05-15-2009, 08:40 AM
What about the Creedence

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Keep both, buy three more, paint them all yellow and add them to your taxi fleet then you can write them off.

Dan

There you go !! You'd for sure be the only on offering cycle taxi service in Indy !

" Any book is a childrens book , if the kid can read !"
Mitch Hedburg
post #8 of 56 Old 05-15-2009, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehren2800 View Post
Both look good. I'd sell the 04 and keep the 07, either way you will make some $$$ offsetting the price of your 07. I would much rather have the ABS model for a big bike like that when riding in rain or snow.

No matter what you chose, you win either way.
Now you're just confusing me with that kind of logic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
They both look like fun

Dan
Ha! I like that, I can write off my truck as an all weather vehicle, but probably tough to convince the accountant of the motorcycles value to the business.

post #9 of 56 Old 05-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

Adjustable headlights? I haven't done any reading about the FJR's but ... huh?

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #10 of 56 Old 05-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Very nice

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #11 of 56 Old 05-19-2009, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Ok, I've decided to keep the '04 and go ahead and sell the '07. Put 150 miles on it today and fell in love, seems to suit me better than the 2nd Gen somehow.

It's not quite as refined, slightly rougher and a bit more raw. I like that actually, the '07 is so smooth and perfect that it's almost boring at times. I swear the '04 is faster too, accidently brought the front end up today when I redlined it in first and hit second hard. It's a silver bullet on the highway, hard to keep it under 80 and instant power at any speed even without downshifting.

It handles a bit different than the '07, could be tires I suppose or could be some changes in the suspension. The '04 feels a bit heavier in the front end at slower speeds but turns into corners almost on its own, just look through the corner and around it goes like it's on rails. I almost feel more stable and confident on it through the twisties than the 919, at least the high speed curves anyway. It's not as smooth rolling down the highway as the '07 either, a bit more buzz from the engine, damping is a bit harsher, but again I like it, makes me aware I'm on a big fast motorcycle.

Needs a louder exhaust, when you crank it open you don't get that exhaust noise telling you that you're going fast, you just look down and you're in triple digits. I don't want it to be as loud as the 9'er, not that kind of bike, but a bit more rumble would be nice and add to the enjoyment for me.

I did notice some heat from the engine, it was close to 80 degrees today and after running hard at high speed it was a little toasty. I didn't find it unbearable, always wear my riding pants and certainly didn't feel like my legs were sustaining burns like some owners have complained about on the FJR forums.

I also like the smaller stock windshield, my '07 has a larger aftermarket windshield and it provides a ton of protection but also causes more turbulance. I have the stock windshield for it, just have never tried it. I found that with the '04 windshield raised all the way up it nicely pushes the air over my helmet without creating that dead pocket that makes it hard to breath cool air.

I polished out the scratches on the fairing and side bags this evening, bags cleaned up great, will need a small bit of touchup paint on the fairing but looks a ton better. Also removed the FJR1300 decals from the fairing, found them kind of cartoonish and I like the stealth look better. Took off the safety sticker on the gas tank too.

I actually like the metallic silver better than the Black Cherry on the '07, while that metallic burgundy is a gorgeous color I've always been partial to silver and black. Doesn't show dirt and dust nearly as much either, silver is always an easy color to keep clean.

Not nearly as torn about selling the '07 now, somebody will get a beautiful bike in showroom condition, glad I got to experience it and I still get to have a FJR in the garage, a bit older but still with only 2400 miles and half the money.

Beautiful afternoon!

Sans decals

post #12 of 56 Old 05-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

What a great opportunity to evaluate one of the definitive sports tourers. Having both model years available is is decadent in a good way.

Really appreciate the side by side pics and ride impressions.

Reading this just makes me want to go slab it up tomorrow.

Great stuff and thanks for sharing.

post #13 of 56 Old 05-19-2009, 07:29 PM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Are they comprable storage wise? Looks like you got it plenty shiny!

post #14 of 56 Old 05-19-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedeGopher View Post
Are they comprable storage wise? Looks like you got it plenty shiny!
Side cases are the same size, can fit a full face helmet inside one and my jacket in the other. Obviously no top box which holds a ton, but I like the looks of the older bike better with just the side cases. A little less Goldwing, a little more sportbike, you know? If we ever want to go touring on it I can always just use a soft tail bag.

Have been researching exhausts and sliders. After reading Ken's glowing reviews of Dale Walker's Holeshot products I checked out their offerings for the FJR. Dangerous website! Beautiful slip ons, but the real deal seems to be the custom header system that eliminates the catalytic convertors and supposedly greatly reduces engine heat as well as adding several HP. Couple of video sound clips for if anyone's interested.

Holeshot FJR 1300 Parts

Think I'll stick with Motovation sliders, have been impressed with their quality on our Hondas and even more impressed with their functionality after Gin was kind enough to test them out on her 599. Two styles, one that you have to take a hole saw to the fairing, one that is a no-cut. Even though my fairing has a damaged spot right where the hole would be cut from falling over, I'm not really into carving up expensive plastic, think I'll spend the extra dough and go for the no-cut version.

Yamaha FJR1300 Street NO CUT Frame Sliders 03-05

post #15 of 56 Old 05-19-2009, 09:01 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Sweet review,
The 04 does look much sportier without the topcase and the smaller windshield. You will definitely come out ahead selling the 07 and keeping the older one, which it sounds like suits you better anyway. You could always get a Givi top case that is easily removable like I have for my VFR if you need more storage. Have fun with the exhaust, sounds like that needs to be one of the first mods.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #16 of 56 Old 05-20-2009, 02:41 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

If the weather holds I'm going to north Georgia this weekend. Let me test out the 07. Go ahead and gas it up, fill the top case with beer, and check the air in the tires.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #17 of 56 Old 05-20-2009, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
If the weather holds I'm going to north Georgia this weekend. Let me test out the 07. Go ahead and gas it up, fill the top case with beer, and check the air in the tires.
Come on up!

post #18 of 56 Old 05-20-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

I ordered these sliders: Product Gallery from these guys: European Motorcycle Accessories - R&G Racing Products - Yamaha

They do require cutting a hole in each side of the fairing but I think they will protect better than the higher mounted no cut ones and look better as well. The R&G sliders only require a 28mm hole, not nearly as much cutting as the Motovation ones I listed previously. Like I said I have a bad spot on the right lower fairing where the bike has fallen over anyway, it's exactly over the frame bolt where these sliders mount so what better place to cut a hole?

post #19 of 56 Old 05-20-2009, 02:06 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

really glad you like it... sounds like a bike i would be happy with... may have to include that when i start shopping again 'round october...

btw... the color of the 07 is one of my favorite colors... my scion is that color and when i is clean it is absolutely beautiful..

post #20 of 56 Old 05-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Dragon Slayer

2 FJR's and a 9er. My hero!

post #21 of 56 Old 05-20-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
really glad you like it... sounds like a bike i would be happy with... may have to include that when i start shopping again 'round october...

btw... the color of the 07 is one of my favorite colors... my scion is that color and when i is clean it is absolutely beautiful..
Yep, when it's clean. That lasts for about 5 minutes, then it's no longer clean unfortunately.

post #22 of 56 Old 05-20-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Rubbed out the scratches last night, waxed it tonight. Thought I'd take a couple of shots without the side cases, it actually looks pretty good IMO. There are supposed to be plastic caps for the mounting holes but they didn't come with it, checked out the ones from my '07 but different sizes. I'll rarely if ever ride it naked anyway so probably not worth ordering them. Of course if you know me that means I'll order them tomorrow. :001_smile:

And for comparison, with the cases installed

I definitely like the looks better after I removed the FJR decals, clean, sleek and stealthy!

post #23 of 56 Old 05-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

That is one sharp ride bud...I likey

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #24 of 56 Old 05-20-2009, 04:48 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

great looking bike... you have me thinking now...

dammit...

post #25 of 56 Old 05-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:

dammit...
Mr. Indecisive

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #26 of 56 Old 05-20-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:

dammit...
I know where there's a showroom quality Black Cherry '07 just waiting for a good home. WT friends get the sweet deal, I don't have to make a killing on that one.

So while I'm encouraging you to spend your money, talk me out of spending mine. I called Dale Walker today to discuss his Holeshot exhaust for the FJR. Luckily I got voicemail, otherwise I'd probably be about $1200 poorer. Imagine the Silver Bullet with this beautiful custom system...

Gorgeous headers

And no cats...obviously for offroad use only

post #27 of 56 Old 05-23-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

3dcycle got me thinking with that gorgeous gunmetal grey metallic 919 paint job. This bike is scuffed up on both sides now, wouldn't take much bodywork to smooth it out and could change the color easily. Thinking that the lighter silver and black side covers would look good body color as well, hmmmmm!

post #28 of 56 Old 05-23-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

post #29 of 56 Old 05-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Scott

You are making things difficult, posting up pics of the 07. If my wife hadn't taken 4 months off last year I would buy that thing.

post #30 of 56 Old 05-26-2009, 04:46 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

post #31 of 56 Old 05-26-2009, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
just bidded
Made me look, still got it

post #32 of 56 Old 05-26-2009, 08:06 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Maybe if I got a paper route.......

post #33 of 56 Old 05-28-2009, 03:11 AM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:

dammit...
Sport tourer? You? Just get a dang CBR1000RR and a bigger backpack.

BMW just put out that K1300 with 175 hp. It has a sport tourer option.

Would love to see Brian rolling Eurosport. It would be disorienting-like watching a dog meow.

post #34 of 56 Old 05-28-2009, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
Sport tourer? You? Just get a dang CBR1000RR and a bigger backpack.

BMW just put out that K1300 with 175 hp. It has a sport tourer option.

Would love to see Brian rolling Eurosport. It would be disorienting-like watching a dog meow.
Hey, remember FJR's are no slouch with 145hp stock. It might be big but it's fast and extremely competent!

post #35 of 56 Old 05-29-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Meh! Went for $306 + 25 shipping, more that I was willing to pay for a used seat sight unseen. Oh well, stocker isn't bad, if I decide I want a Corbin I'll order one new to my specs.

post #36 of 56 Old 05-29-2009, 02:28 PM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Ride on out to Hollister and get it made in person, sore butt on the way, happy cheeks on the ride home!

post #37 of 56 Old 05-29-2009, 02:50 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Hey, remember FJR's are no slouch with 145hp stock. It might be big but it's fast and extremely competent!
Hey, don't tell me! That motorcycle quiz everyone was taking clearly stated the FJR was my dream bike!

I'd give anything to have a sport tourer for the wife and I. Right now, I can't even get her to go 2 up on the 9er!

post #38 of 56 Old 05-30-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Working on installing the frame sliders and replacing the engine cover that got scratched up in my driveway tip over today. Did some paint touch up work yesterday, need to rub it out and put on some clear coat today. A bit hesitant about drilling 28mm holes through the fairings for the sliders, but now that both sides are scratched up I don't feel as bad, worst case scenario if I totally F it up is to just order new plastic.

Looked around for a different style mirror since both mirrors were pretty badly scratched, finally decided to just order stock replacement mirrors since they're fairly attractive and not expensive.

Need to charge the battery too, hadn't ridden it for a week and had to push start it yesterday. Had one of my techs helped, nothing like two guys running along side a 500+ lb bike popping the clutch. Took a couple of tries, actually we got it running the first time but dumbass me immediately put down the kickstand and killed it, doh!

post #39 of 56 Old 05-30-2009, 09:03 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Hmmm, A week seems like an awfully short time to drain the Battery, Does that techno tank have a lot of stuff drawing power when the key is off, or is the Battery weak?

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #40 of 56 Old 05-30-2009, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73 View Post
Hmmm, A week seems like an awfully short time to drain the Battery, Does that techno tank have a lot of stuff drawing power when the key is off, or is the Battery weak?
Battery's weak, bike had sat for some time before the auction, they had it apart and charged it there to get it started. I've never charged it, may well need replaced but I'm going to try charging one more time and see if it holds. After I ride it for several miles it stays up for a couple of days but it might need a new one.

Don't think it's an issue with the model, my '07 has far more electronic gizmos and it stayed charged all winter without a battery tender.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode