'00 BMW R1200C Cruiser - Wrist Twisters
1 2 
Cruisers > '00 BMW R1200C Cruiser
sbeau1960's Avatar sbeau1960 07:47 PM 05-14-2009

Choose your action:

Already posted pics of the FJR I bought at auction, this was the other purchase. 2000 BMW R1200C Euro, 3800 miles. Not my kind of bike truthfully but I couldn't pass up the deal, so what the hell!

Rode it for the first time today when I picked it up from the auction, the riding experience is...well, it's different than anything I've ever ridden. At idle it has that BMW boxer shake, when you rev it in neutral it torques to the right. Once underway it's pretty smooth, more vibration than an inline 4 to be sure but nothing like a Harley. Not a ton of power, only 61hp, but good torque and it motors down the road just fine.

The handlebars are tall and wide, the seat is low and the pegs are slightly forward. One thing I noticed right off is that the pegs are close to the shifter and brake pedal, not a lot of room for my boot, kind of have to ride with your foot splayed out to the side. It has a backrest that doubles as a rear seat (good luck with that!), it was actually pretty comfortable once I got my mind adjusted to the fact that I was on a cruiser.

It handled all right, once again keeping in mind that it's a cruiser and not a sport bike. The BMW telelever front suspension is unique, no brake dive at all no matter how hard you squeeze the lever. I haven't had it on any curvy roads yet but it felt like it will do all right. Brakes are strong, although the ABS light is flashing because the battery had gone dead and the system needs to be reset.

It has typical BMW quality throughout, the seat is real leather and the saddlebags are leather covered, nice touches. A bit short on instrumentation, only a speedo along with several warning lights, no tach or fuel guage. The Euro edition comes with the windscreen, driving lights, saddlebags, and engine crash bars with highway pegs built in. Actually they're not so much highway pegs, instead the crash bars are designed with a platform on top to rest your leg or boot on. I tried it in the parking lot, surprisingly it was rather comfortable, but I'd be scared of my reaction time in an emergency to get my legs back down on the pegs. I'm used to a leg back sporting riding position, not a reclining one.

I cleaned it up this afternoon, it's in excellent condition, found no damage or blemishs at all, with a bit more elbow grease and a whole bunch of chrome polishing it will be showroom quality.

Pacojerte's Avatar Pacojerte 10:25 PM 05-14-2009

Choose your action:

cupholders?

SuedeGopher's Avatar SuedeGopher 11:52 PM 05-14-2009

Choose your action:

I'm a bit gay for it, I'll admit it. I wouldn't mind taking it for a spin.

sbeau1960's Avatar sbeau1960 03:41 AM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
cupholders?
What, no jealously smilie on this one?
67GTONUT's Avatar 67GTONUT 03:51 AM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

Not bad..... I like it!!!
sugs's Avatar sugs 06:02 AM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

I can't figure out why I'm strangely attracted to that machine.
scgstuff's Avatar scgstuff 06:05 AM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

I know of someone that will be selling one soon, if you like this type of bike. It is a 2000 BMW R1200C Cruiser. Think it is the Euro model, but am not positive.

Here is a link to get info about it.....

Super Sneaky Steve's Avatar Super Sneaky Steve 06:21 AM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

Yeah it's not bad. Most BMW's look like butt. This one is ok.
sbeau1960's Avatar sbeau1960 06:25 AM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgstuff View Post
I know of someone that will be selling one soon, if you like this type of bike. It is a 2000 BMW R1200C Cruiser. Think it is the Euro model, but am not positive.

Here is a link to get info about it.....

This one will be for sale soon as well.
Ridge's Avatar Ridge 06:42 AM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

I like it!
RC51_CBRXX's Avatar RC51_CBRXX 06:49 AM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

I had the biggest "wood" for this bike when it first hit the showrooms. But, to sbeau's riding comments ... he's dead on. It just wasn't comfortable. It was my first time riding the "paralever". Not having nose dive/squat under braking was funky at the time.
ajcombs's Avatar ajcombs 07:00 AM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

one of my favorite looking bikes!!! I'm with ridge I like it!!
scgstuff's Avatar scgstuff 07:11 AM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
This one will be for sale soon as well.
If you look at my link, it goes to the top of this thread and tells about a wonderful R1200C that is being cleaned up real purty like by some guy that goes by sbeau1960.....

Ridge's Avatar Ridge 07:19 AM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

In all seriousness, if I was closer to you Sbeau, I would be hitting you up for a test ride. It's funky cool and I could see myself on it.
dadogs's Avatar dadogs 08:10 AM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

It's definately different, not something I would buy but I can see the romance in it.

67GTONUT's Avatar 67GTONUT 08:14 AM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

Sbeau..... go buy a Speedmaster @ auction..... and then sell her to me.....LOL
sbeau1960's Avatar sbeau1960 09:49 AM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

Quote:
If you look at my link, it goes to the top of this thread and tells about a wonderful R1200C that is being cleaned up real purty like by some guy that goes by sbeau1960.....

Ha! Missed that, sorry!

Everyone is interested in this bike, it's totally unique and unusual, might have to ride it around for awhile just to enjoy the attention.
scgstuff's Avatar scgstuff 09:52 AM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
might have to ride it around for awhile just to enjoy the attention.
If you just want the attention...get a Harley, EVERYONE pays attention (because they are so damn loud you can't help but notice 'em.)
sbeau1960's Avatar sbeau1960 10:00 AM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

Quote:
If you just want the attention...get a Harley, EVERYONE pays attention (because they are so damn loud you can't help but notice 'em.)
Ah, but EVERYONE has a Harley, not everyone has a R1200C!
Shaughnessy's Avatar Shaughnessy 05:48 PM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

I like it purely for the fact it is different than 99% of the motorcycling community. Take it for a spin on some mildly twisty roads and you will discover as I did the unnerving feeling that those giant cylinders are going to touch down... That and just a shear lack of power when you want to stand the bike up out of a corner... My boots kept rubbing those hot cylinders which was not pleasant either...
justintyme73's Avatar justintyme73 05:51 PM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

That is one cool and unique ride, have fun with it till ya sell it!
McCrimmon's Avatar McCrimmon 06:40 PM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

Very different look...Can't say I like it but someone out there will...Finish cleaning it up and flip it
ajcombs's Avatar ajcombs 09:10 PM 05-15-2009

Choose your action:

oh i still love the looks go take it ride in the twisty stuff and get used to that funky suspension an i bet you get to where you can push it harder than normal cruisers! Eitherway good luck with it, wished i had the cash at the moment!!
marylandmike's Avatar marylandmike 06:11 AM 05-16-2009

Choose your action:

I think its a very cool looking bike. I'm sure someone will love it.
sbeau1960's Avatar sbeau1960 06:42 AM 05-16-2009

Choose your action:

I think AJ loves it
ajcombs's Avatar ajcombs 07:45 AM 05-16-2009

Choose your action:

it is a beamer! I just got to figure out how to like starbucks the biggest problem with it as it sounds like a golf cart and i like the one with cast wheels better!

RoboStraub 919's Avatar RoboStraub 919 09:31 AM 05-19-2009

Choose your action:

That's a real nice pick-up you've got there and what a deal!

I remember first seeing this bike in the Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies.
sbeau1960's Avatar sbeau1960 09:47 AM 05-19-2009

Choose your action:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStraub 919 View Post
That's a real nice pick-up you've got there and what a deal!

I remember first seeing this bike in the Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies.
I'm going to motor about on it a bit this evening, then get serious about selling it.
sbeau1960's Avatar sbeau1960 09:49 AM 05-19-2009

Choose your action:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
it is a beamer! I just got to figure out how to like starbucks the biggest problem with it as it sounds like a golf cart and i like the one with cast wheels better![/img]
Cast wheels look nice, gives it a futuristic look. I think the spoke wheels look a little more retro. I'd much rather clean the cast wheels, not looking forward to a couple hours with a toothbrush and chrome polish!
ratdog's Avatar ratdog 11:11 AM 05-19-2009

Choose your action:

Ballpark, what kind of number constitutes a "deal" at auction on something like this??
If'n ya don't mind me askin?
sbeau1960's Avatar sbeau1960 11:40 AM 05-19-2009

Choose your action:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
Ballpark, what kind of number constitutes a "deal" at auction on something like this??
If'n ya don't mind me askin?
Paid $5250 + 10% auction fee, $5775. Should be able to retail it for at least $8000.
sbeau1960's Avatar sbeau1960 10:06 PM 06-04-2009

Choose your action:

Cruiser night, took a ride with our friend George and ended up at a bar in a little town south of the city. Free wings and an awesome guitar player, good times!

First time I've really put any miles on the R1200C, rode about 50 miles tonight although it felt like more. I don't fit the bike very well, not a natural riding position for me. Made my wrists, back and ankles tired, guess I'm better suited to a more sporting position. It runs good, decent power, not great, but enough. I dislike BMW's three switch turnsignals, why make a single three function switch into something far more complicated and less user friendly? The bars are wide and high, making the front end very sensitive to bar input. The suspension is an odd combo of soft and stiff, hard to describe. The front end feels different with the telelever shock, no brake dive and the whole bike raises up with acceleration. It feels a bit flexy, kind of like a full suspension bicycle being rode hard on pavement, both ends moving at odds sometimes. Has some torque steer from the driveshaft, you can definitely feel it when accelerating or downshifting.

Brakes are decent, although the ABS light is still flashing, think it's just because the battery got low and the system needs charged and reset. Gearbox is smooth and precise and it cruises nicely at 75mph highway speeds. The engine is relatively smooth and quiet, especially riding behind George's Roadking. It's nicely screwed together and the leather seat is comfortable, windscreen doesn't do a lot because you're sitting so far away from it.

I probably won't ride it much more, turned over 3900 miles on the way home and want to keep it under 4000 for resale. I'll spend some time this weekend polishing those spoke wheels and chrome, may dive into removing the gas tank so I can access the battery. Haven't tried hard to sell it yet, just a CL ad which netted a reponse from California and one from Chicago, along with an offer of land trade in AZ. Will go for the area motorcycle trader next along with some more online listings.
SuedeGopher's Avatar SuedeGopher 07:34 AM 06-05-2009

Choose your action:

It's really got a striking look to it. I can't help but dig the thing when I look at it...it's confusing...like the Crying Game confusing...
dream 08:49 AM 06-05-2009

Choose your action:

Good luck on your sale!

/Rant On: Seeing cruisers parked in front of a bar makes me cringe. Last week a multi-DUI loser cruiser ran over Father/Daughter in a crosswalk. The Father lost his leg and his 9yr died! Rant Off\
sbeau1960's Avatar sbeau1960 10:58 AM 06-05-2009

Choose your action:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
Good luck on your sale!

/Rant On: Seeing cruisers parked in front of a bar makes me cringe. Last week a multi-DUI loser cruiser ran over Father/Daughter in a crosswalk. The Father lost his leg and his 9yr died! Rant Off\
I understand your rant Dream, I think the same thing everytime I watch Harley and cruiser guys slamming beer and whiskey, then hopping on their bikes. We've got a strict two beer limit when riding, and even those two beers have to spread out over a period of time or involve food. We had a great time hanging out at that biker bar last night listening to music with friends, ate dinner and rode home perfectly sober. Can't say that for everyone at the bar unfortunately.
Bigdaa's Avatar Bigdaa 11:06 AM 06-05-2009

Choose your action:

Ya, I seen dem rigs on the road out here. Comfy looking. I wonder if you can put it on cruise and go outback to make a sandwich and grab a beer?
BigMike919's Avatar BigMike919 12:47 PM 06-05-2009

Choose your action:

Sweet bike dude! They actually sound good with a set of pipes on em, too! There was a guy around me with one that i would see all the time on rides and and cruise night, he was a douche pump, but the bike was cool!
sbeau1960's Avatar sbeau1960 08:39 PM 06-05-2009

Choose your action:

It needs a set of pipes, stock ones are not inspiring.
sbeau1960's Avatar sbeau1960 12:44 PM 07-18-2009

Choose your action:

And it's SOLD!!!

Took a couple of months of Craigslist ads to find the right buyer, but he called me last night and flew his own plane in today to see it. Met him at a private airport, made the deal, he's having a friend fly him back in tomorrow and he'll ride it home to Michigan. He got a very nice bike in perfect condition and I made a nice profit, everyone's happy.
ajcombs's Avatar ajcombs 12:48 PM 07-18-2009

Choose your action:

sweet congrats to you too!!!
1 2 

Reply Up