After selling the GL500, I've been lurking the 'lists of the world looking for what would be the next project bike.
- Must be something I can and will work on
- Prefer vintage Japanese
- Wanting to return to a "big block" again, something about displacement.....
- Hopefully a real "UJM" (go figure...)
- Should not be in need of a lot of work
- Must meet my old rule of thumb, a buck a cc or less
- Able to be ridden hundreds if not thousands of miles at a time (weekend), comfortably and quickly when desired. Reliably.
- Probably a few other things, it's too cold to think right now.....
OK, I stumbled on what might be the bike
1979 Yamaha XS1100 - 30,000 miles
Needs a carb cleaning, intake boots, who knows what else, looks fairly good though from the pictures -
The guy would be willing to trade even up for my CB750 drag bike, I'm not sure I want to let that one go - the XS is a hair over 2 hours away, I'm thinking hard about it -
Imagine it as a Kenny Roberts Replica, in the lines of the Kawasaki Eddie Lawson Replica or the Suzuki Wes Cooley replica - Yellow with bumble bee stripes, similar to the TZ750 or RZ350 paint scheme -
The windscreen on the bike as it is in the pictures would not make it home, call it gone (or instand eBay item) - I'd leave it without or go with a 1/4 cafe fairing, ZRX style....
Downsides, the XS11 was known to be a poor handler, I might be able to live with that, must experience it to decide -
Upsides, well, there are quite a few -
What, what do you think????