Suzuki GS250 cafe project/paging JohnnyB - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 01-06-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Suzuki GS250 cafe project/paging JohnnyB

All the recent postings of classic 70's and 80's bike projects made me want to do one too! I had a buddy with a clapped out 1981 Suzuki GS250 sitting around for the last 7 or 8 years. I told him I wanted the bike and he gave it to me!!

Anyway, I looked into doing a full restoration on the bike, but the cost outweighs the benefit. So I decided to go another route. I saw a post on the GS forums where a guy turned this bike into a nice little cafe/street racer. I am starting out from $0 so I figure a budget of $1000 total and I will have a nice little bike to ride on Sunday mornings or whenever.

Here is what it looked like when I unloaded it;

Pretty 80's-tastic! Here is what I am aiming for, only with nicer paint and better details;

So, any experts on vintage racing (JohnnyB, etc.) post up your thoughts or ideas on the subject. Am I crazy, or whatever.

Looking forward to the list of pros/cons....

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Awesome...! I can't wait to see it done.

post #3 of 12 Old 01-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
+1. That should make an excellent project.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

post #4 of 12 Old 01-06-2008, 04:51 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

Looks like a fun transformation!
Should be interesting to watch how you do it.
We need pictures.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-06-2008, 05:39 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Go for it! Looks like a fun project!

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #6 of 12 Old 01-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Clubmans, rear sets, solo seat and tail section, exhaust, custom cafe paint job(british racing green with gold striping), and you are on your way.

post #7 of 12 Old 01-07-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
Me either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
+1. That should make an excellent project.
I hope. Most of the guys doing cafe projects are going the CB, or Brit bike route. Like I say though, for the $$$, this should be a cheap project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Looks like a fun transformation!
Should be interesting to watch how you do it.
We need pictures.
Pics will be coming, as soon as I make some progress. I have the bike in the basement now to clean and mock up what I have in mind. Today it was like 60 degrees, go figure. I should have left it in the garage where I can do something with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
Go for it! Looks like a fun project!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Clubmans, rear sets, solo seat and tail section, exhaust, custom cafe paint job(british racing green with gold striping), and you are on your way.
Sounds good. Rearsets... Don't know about. It has a drum rear brake. That is why I am looking for some expert vintage racers/builders who might have some ideas. I'm thinking Maybe a Ducati yellow, with a black stripe, and yellow frame. I am thinking about blacking out the motor as well. I don't know if the yellow frame will be too much or not? Maybe I'll go with a darker color... Don't know yet.

Thanks for all the encouragement people.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #8 of 12 Old 01-07-2008, 08:17 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I LOVE IT.... dont stop!

When your done... I'll buy it!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #9 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

It's really fun. I thought I was done and still find myself pecking away this morning on my project bike. And yes, restoration is not cost effective. What I am finding is you still get a cheap bike they you'll love. Have fun post lots of pictures.

post #10 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
It's really fun. I thought I was done and still find myself pecking away this morning on my project bike. And yes, restoration is not cost effective. What I am finding is you still get a cheap bike they you'll love. Have fun post lots of pictures.
True words. Don't go into it with a cost in mind, just try to get the bike as cheap as you can (which Fehren has already done). I'm halfway thru my project, and I can see what Simpson is saying. I've got ideas for next winter now, so it will probably continue to evolve. And this from a guy who always bought new and kept everything pretty much stock.

I figured if I got it to a point mechanically I was comfortable with then I would have lots of time later on to hack. But some hacks are easier/better along the way.

I think you'll enjoy what you're doing. Have fun.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post
I LOVE IT.... dont stop!

When your done... I'll buy it!
Sure.. The good thing is it will be sized just right for you.

post #12 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
True words. Don't go into it with a cost in mind, just try to get the bike as cheap as you can (which Fehren has already done). I'm halfway thru my project, and I can see what Simpson is saying. I've got ideas for next winter now, so it will probably continue to evolve. And this from a guy who always bought new and kept everything pretty much stock.

I figured if I got it to a point mechanically I was comfortable with then I would have lots of time later on to hack. But some hacks are easier/better along the way.

I think you'll enjoy what you're doing. Have fun.
You guys are both right. I'm trying to keep a budget, but I can already see it getting away from me and I haven't even really started. I should have done some more cleaning on it tonight. I went riding instead. I couldn't resist, riding at 8:00 at night in January in 65 degree weather in Ohio... Crazy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode