Suzuki gs 550 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Suzuki gs 550

Hi guys I picked up a project Suzuki gs 550 and I was just wondering what direction to go with it. I was originally thinking stripped down street fighter then cafe racer, I also saw a bobbed gs.
I'm not to sure what to do or how to start, what do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-03-2013, 05:41 AM
Immune

For a GS my money is on a cafe. I have never done one though :-)

post #3 of 9 Old 06-03-2013, 05:57 AM
Will fly for food.

Garage
The good thing about doing a custom restoration with a bike is tailoring it specifically to your liking. I'm resto-modding a 1975 Goldwing and although it will be clearly recognizable as a Goldwing, I'm hoping to set it apart from the others with hints here and there of cafe styling (and some aviation stuff, too ). I'm helping a friend of mine restore his '79 GS550L and the more I thought about cafe'ing it out, the more Gary wanted to restore the bike to original format. I understand since he bought the bike brand new and had to park the bike in '81. The sentimental value of the bike meant too much to deviate from the day he fell in love with the bike on the showroom floor.

Post some pics and stick around

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s

post #4 of 9 Old 06-03-2013, 06:21 AM
Ian

Go with what ever style u like best....cafe, brat, fighter or bobber.

With most custom bike styles the tail section is heavily modded or even deleted.

Best to start by choosing a style then stripping the tail and figuring out where to go from there.

Steel frames make it easy to chop and fab/weld new brackets or even a complete subframe. The tail usually hides alot, so figuring out how to minimalize everything and tuck/fit it all securely is the trick.

Take your time. Make sure to get the bike running and driving decent before you start redesigning things, so you don't end up chasing your tail trying to sort out problems after mods.

Good luck and take lotd.of notes and pics.

post #5 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

So here it is, all the bits and pieces. Debating on using a gsxr swing arm with the integrated rear fender. The hope is to remove parts from the completed bike and place it on the frame. I know this sounds funny but I'm thinking that as I tear it down I will get to learn about which parts do what and what's good or not. I hope to keep moving along with this and posting pics as I go stay tuned
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2631771716.jpg (78.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg image-3700249640.jpg (72.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg image-193390455.jpg (64.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg image-3419052765.jpg (66.9 KB, 18 views)

post #6 of 9 Old 06-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
Go with what ever style u like best....cafe, brat, fighter or bobber.

With most custom bike styles the tail section is heavily modded or even deleted.

Best to start by choosing a style then stripping the tail and figuring out where to go from there.

Steel frames make it easy to chop and fab/weld new brackets or even a complete subframe. The tail usually hides alot, so figuring out how to minimalize everything and tuck/fit it all securely is the trick.

Take your time. Make sure to get the bike running and driving decent before you start redesigning things, so you don't end up chasing your tail trying to sort out problems after mods.

Good luck and take lotd.of notes and pics.
SOUND advice right there! that bike had excellent ergonomics originally - a very stable, predictable bike to learn on.....if you start swapping out important things like swingarms, forks, or wheels -- it could turn into a monster for you.

take off fenders, and signals and even custome make your own subframe and seat.....but I'd keep the basic design to get started.

post #7 of 9 Old 06-08-2013, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

The idea behind the rear swing arm was for look of the rear fender for the most part. I want to have some sort of fender over the rear wheel but I don't like the under tail section of the gs. I do like the appearance of the fender on the gsxr1000. Would I be able to integrate a fender like this to the stock gs 550.

post #8 of 9 Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 AM
Tirone

I had a 77 GS 550 until about 2 months ago - I was collected point blank by a car not giving way on my way to work. The bike was very original and in this condition I was reluctant to change anything. I gifted what was left of the bike to our local classic bike / cafe racer builder and it will be exciting to see what he does with it. I've attached a pic of the bike pre-crash and I should follow up with some after shots once he gets around to resurrecting it. I've seen some amazing cafe racers built from this bike.

ForumRunner_20130610_215403.jpg

Tony

post #9 of 9 Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

That's a cool bike tony. Be sure to post pics of it when the builder is done

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode