Spotted! 1948 Vincent! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Spotted! 1948 Vincent!

I saw this beautiful machine at the coffee shop today, first Vincent I've ever seen in real life. The plate indicated that it's a '48 but my Vincent knowledge isn't so broad that I know thw particular model. If it was restored, it had to have been at least 20 years ago because it had clear signs of use which made it that much better! So if anyone knows what it is do tell because I'm dying to know!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20130423_160529.jpg (52.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20130423_160544.jpg (52.3 KB, 22 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-23-2013, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Black Shadow?

post #3 of 11 Old 04-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

rapide or Black Shadow, I personally can't tell them apart.

Dan

post #4 of 11 Old 04-23-2013, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Wikipedia tells me that black shadows have black engines, must be a rapide.

post #5 of 11 Old 04-23-2013, 05:53 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Cool!

post #6 of 11 Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 PM
Dragon Slayer

Very cool. I wonder how many still survive?

post #7 of 11 Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 PM
The Cripple

+1, cool! You should of sought out the owner and asked if you could sit on it.

post #8 of 11 Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Those bikes are really marvelous, Lucky you for being able to spot one like that!

I have a secret fantasy of finding one of those an old barn or a garage sale for cheap someday but I know it will never happen...

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #9 of 11 Old 06-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Milites Gregarius

A couple of weeks ago I saw a Vincent outside my local Pizza Parlor, It was a heavy rain day, as I was walking in the rider was walking out with his buddy that was on a bmw, I waited to see how this would start in the downpour, and it didn't. I offered up my theater lobby space and a reverse run shopvac (on blow) to dry up his equiptment which by the way is located behind the front wheel just under the front engine mount.... It did eventually dry with the vac and fire up but in the meantime the owner was telling me about the Vincent online club ,in which he is a member , and told me that the club knows where and who owns 85 percent of all Vincents ever produced! The club also has use of a machine shop so at some point when there is a need , they make a bunch of the same parts , stockpile them and sell them to a member when needed. They don't run out of parts! Incredible isn't it!
These riders were cross country riding buddies for the past 50 years, each year they go someplace different. One guy lives in Utah and the other in Hoboken NJ , and the one rider always rides that Vincent. Well , I'm glad I found them ,got an instant education , and met some nice , nice guys and was happy that I could help out.That always feels good.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb550four View Post
A couple of weeks ago I saw a Vincent outside my local Pizza Parlor, It was a heavy rain day, as I was walking in the rider was walking out with his buddy that was on a bmw, I waited to see how this would start in the downpour, and it didn't. I offered up my theater lobby space and a reverse run shopvac (on blow) to dry up his equiptment which by the way is located behind the front wheel just under the front engine mount.... It did eventually dry with the vac and fire up but in the meantime the owner was telling me about the Vincent online club ,in which he is a member , and told me that the club knows where and who owns 85 percent of all Vincents ever produced! The club also has use of a machine shop so at some point when there is a need , they make a bunch of the same parts , stockpile them and sell them to a member when needed. They don't run out of parts! Incredible isn't it!
These riders were cross country riding buddies for the past 50 years, each year they go someplace different. One guy lives in Utah and the other in Hoboken NJ , and the one rider always rides that Vincent. Well , I'm glad I found them ,got an instant education , and met some nice , nice guys and was happy that I could help out.That always feels good.
All that time and no pics?!

post #11 of 11 Old 06-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Milites Gregarius

I know, didn't bring the camera, I thought it would be an uneventful day. I choose not to own a portable telephone, but that could have come in handy too.
This machine was a 2 tone green with wide gold pinstripe, it was beautiful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode