Possible Project - 1986 Shadow VT500 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Possible Project - 1986 Shadow VT500

Found a possible project bike to play with. It is a 1986 Honda VT500 Shadow. I need to get some info on it. Where could I get info on the VIN number. The owner said that is was a salvage title and was sold to them without a bill of sale or the title signed over. I need to find if I can title the bike.

The VIN is JH2PC0802GM305519.

What I know so far....
Brake lever and resevoir are missing. Needs new tires and battery. Ignition switch has been pulled apart because they lost the key. (I know...red flags....) It is missing the side covers and needs a new battery. I am guessing the carbs will need to be cleaned and the outside of the shaft drive is rusted. I don't know if the inner shaft drive is messed up at all. I was told the guy used to ride it frequently at night, since it wasn't registered.

This is what it looks like from the left....

and the right.....

They are asking $350 for it. Apparently they paid that about 9 months ago and want to get it back. I am thinking I should offer maybe $2-250. Justification would be them breaking the igntition, lack of front brake, needs tires, etc.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Shawn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Imaginifer

Before thinking of offering any money make sure you can get the title squared away. Other wise it will pretty much be useless to you.

Paul

Live to ride, but ride to ride another day!
post #3 of 5 Old 05-06-2009, 06:12 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

There is an online title service. Cost is 125.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V65rider View Post
Before thinking of offering any money make sure you can get the title squared away. Other wise it will pretty much be useless to you.
That is my fear. That is why I wanted to find out how to check the VIN for the title info. I just don't want to pay $30 for CarFax or some service like that if someone knows of a way to get the info for nothing. I thought about calling the local Police Department or DMV to see if they can run a check of the VIN.

post #5 of 5 Old 05-06-2009, 07:10 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgstuff View Post
That is my fear. That is why I wanted to find out how to check the VIN for the title info. I just don't want to pay $30 for CarFax or some service like that if someone knows of a way to get the info for nothing. I thought about calling the local Police Department or DMV to see if they can run a check of the VIN.

+ 1 on the DMV , or secondly the PD -

Doesnt Honda have some sort of VIN search for their dealers , to check for recalls and the like ?

As for the shaft, id pull the fill plug or drop the oil in the final drive area - If its realitivly clean/ free of really big chunks, your good - if its dry or rusty power falls out, run away . Those systems are normally built pretty well and as long as there is lube in it, you should be good .
All in all, this looks a bit rough, IM not sure I would even mess with it , espically with the " missing " title and keys -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode