Possible fixxer upper? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Possible fixxer upper?

I am not an experienced motorcycle mechanic like a lot of you guys, but I have some interest in fixing up an older bike to my liking. I was wondering what some of you experienced restorers thought of this bike for a possible project.

79 Suzuki GS1000 L

When I die I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did....not screaming in horror like the passengers in the backseat of his car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Di"zx"en

You cant buy a television for $500.00. It would be a great learning expierience if you have the patience for it. You'll probably be able to trouble shoot any electrical problem from here on out after you're finished with it too. I had a GS1100 a number of years ago, great engine but the ignition systems back then needed a little help. I say do it and have a little fun with it.

That'll work........
post #3 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 01:25 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

It could be an interesting toy for around town, the enging looks pretty badly oxidized, it may have been stored outside.

post #4 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I emailed and asked him if it runs. This was his response.

Not at this time it needs to be put back together. Not in a basket but not all there either. It turns over and the compression is very good. It has been bobed so the final out come (look) is wide open

When I die I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did....not screaming in horror like the passengers in the backseat of his car.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Tesserarius

Its cheap enough, just make sure to give it a good check over. I cant tell if he did any cutting and welding on the rear, but if he did just make sure it looks safe. As long as he didnt hack up the wiring harness, I'd say go for it. Its always helpful to take someone with you who knows what their looking at if possible.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919Rev View Post
I emailed and asked him if it runs. This was his response.

Not at this time it needs to be put back together. Not in a basket but not all there either. It turns over and the compression is very good. It has been bobed so the final out come (look) is wide open
Didnt he state in the post it came with Extra parts? Now he says its not all there

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

A little more info on the bike...

I asked him:
Are most of the major parts there...including carbs, etc?

He answered:
Yes it has everything it needs to run but needs some minor things to make it legal. Like a front brake lever and*new tires ( the tires on it look good but dry roted)

post #8 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

from my experience i would say stay away. he has taken it apart of lost stuff and forgoten where stuff goes. i would rather have a seized motor than one thats has been torn apart and kinda put back. also the difference in a $500 bike and a $750 bike is alot, chances are the $750 will be cheaper in the long run..
for instace i am fixing up a 92 vfr750 this winter, it cost $1000. but all it needs is a real good cleaning a paint job and some body work.
before this we pulled in a 86vfr700 needs everything, forks are bent sub frame bent R/R bad tires,chain sprockets,oil cooler, radiator, body panels suck.etc.. so unless you are really really good, save up just a little more money and get one in better shape, unless you never want to ride it, and just work on it for ever.

post #9 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
so unless you are really really good, save up just a little more money and get one in better shape, unless you never want to ride it, and just work on it for ever.
Thanks for the dose of reality. Guess I will wait for an opportunity that is a better fit for a "beginner".

post #10 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 

Dont get me wrong IF that is the kind of bike that you want, and dont mind taking awhile to do it get it, that is the condition of bikes i learned on, but you feel so much better working on a bike that is a little nicer.

post #11 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Princeps Prior

It doesn't take much before a cheap bike like that becomes a very expensive project.....that in the end will only be worth a little more running.

post #12 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

You guys aren't giving me the lollipop and bubblegum answers that I desire today.

post #13 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Princeps Prior

.....why not restore a running cb750???

post #14 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Optio

Never put an old bike back in good running condition, but after my experience rebuilding a 1970 Beetle this past year, I vote for finding one that actually runs and then just making it run like it should. The previous owner of the VW I rebuilt for my son pretty much lied his butt off about everything, and I didn't have the experience to know any better. Now that I've been through it, I know what to look for. When (if) I get around to buying my first bike project, I want something that runs before I actually begin working on it.

post #15 of 18 Old 12-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

oh and another thing to keep in mind when looking for a project is, whether or not you plan to keep the bike or sell to make money, and do another. if to sell and make money, good luck with that one. you might break even on parts but labor is free.
If you want to keep and ride awhile(which is what i recommend) dont worry about the cost and take your time and make it what YOU want, and dont care what other people think

post #16 of 18 Old 12-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
unless you never want to ride it, and just work on it for ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919Rev View Post
You guys aren't giving me the lollipop and bubblegum answers that I desire today.
Well it sure isn't sugar coated but this sounds like the best possible answer.

Now I will tell you the old gs1000 bikes were very desirable to build into drag bikes, more so than the gs1100, the 1000 motors have more parts avalible and are easy to get power out of. I bet you could get a bone stock but rough condition RUNNING one for 500 if you just looked for a while.

Is an old Gs your dream bike? if not haul ass, unless you just have disposable income and want to get something running. In that case do it and you will learn alot but you're gonna put more into it then it ever be worth.

post #17 of 18 Old 12-02-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I want to build something to ride....I prefer a cb750, but it seems that those are extremely hard to find.

I was just kidding about the lollipop and bubblegum answers. I appreciate the sound and honest advice.

post #18 of 18 Old 12-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Gets censored

Get a honda that runs. Id personally get a 900, or 1000 cb so I didn't get bored.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode