My '81 Oldwing project begins! - Page 2 - Wrist Twisters

post #41 of 55 Old 05-17-2012, 05:50 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyfromwa View Post
Here in washington st if u own ur bike u dont need insurance but if u finance or the bank owns it u need it. I pay $0 a year
however, if you're in an accident and its deemed your fault, you'll have to pay for all damages and medical injuries out of your own pocket. if you dont have the cash, they can sue you for your possessions. i STRONGLY advise you to get at least liability insurance just to cover your own ass.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 Old 05-17-2012, 07:40 PM
RIDE RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Here is a link to my photobucket...these pics are a bunch of other bikes I'm gaining inspiration from. These builders have done some very fine work, starting with a blank canvas similar to what I have. Check out the details, exhaust systems, seats, gauges...My bike is not going to be identical to any of these, but there are many separate elements I might borrow!

Link
That link takes me to some pretty terrible pics of a wrecked 919 and a very lucky mans xrays but no pics of Wing insperation. congrats on living through that. what are your plans with the 9er?

post #43 of 55 Old 05-17-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Well, I do consider myself lucky, to be sure. My life has been on an upswing lately since my crash.
I have a really great girlfriend now, who I was just starting to get together with when the accident happened. Along with her daughters, it seems like Ive stepped into the role of a family man, and Im loving that, very very much.

The 919 has been fixed up as good as ever, and is back to being my daily driver again, with a fresh custom paint job that I did for myself...I plan to keep it for what is probably the long haul...It has respectably high miles now, and its worth much more to me than the resale market would get me. The old goldwing is still in the early stages of its transmogrification, and Im always gonna need a freedom machine like the 919 to help me stay true to myself.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"

post #44 of 55 Old 05-18-2012, 02:26 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
I have a really great girlfriend now
you know the rules dec!

post #45 of 55 Old 05-18-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Here are some of the inspiration pics that my link above was supposed to take you to...

And, for PVster's voyeuristic pleasure: This is me with my GF Angel

"The Shadow"
post #46 of 55 Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
And, for PVster's voyeuristic pleasure: This is me with my GF Angel

UUUGH.... your face is in there!

beautiful inspiration, man those bikes set the bar pretty high! cant wait to see your work! very happy for you dec, enjoy life while you can! we'll have to meet up and grab some grub/beers again.

post #47 of 55 Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Optio

You're in over your head.

With the girl, I mean. Lol. Looks like you've been lucky more than once. I was trying to find an 1100 to strip down but couldn't find a decent deal on one at the time. Ended up with a 2002 LS650 Savage that will wind up as half cafe/half street tracker. Been a fun project so far. Good luck with yours. The bike, I mean.

post #48 of 55 Old 05-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

The second bike looks suspicious. Badass but suspicious. I really like the orange one!

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #49 of 55 Old 05-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Tirone

That red and black bike is soooo sexy. What is that!?!?!??!??!

post #50 of 55 Old 09-25-2012, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

I believe its time for an update on my GL1100 project.

This has ended up being a crap year for riding, for me. I havent hardly had time available to do any decent day-trips, let alone an overnighter or multi-day excursion.

I did do something about a week ago for my Oldwing... I bought a parts donor. The donor bike is the same year/ model as my 81 GL1100 that had recently been partially refurbished by its previous owner...who promptly crashed it in a classic SMIDSY type wreck. The forks and frame were damaged beyond repair, and he sold it to me for a few shekels.

The carbs had recently been professionally rebuilt with a randakks kit, and the engine seems like it runs better than the engine in my Oldwing, now!

Ive swapped the good carbs onto mine, and I took the entire front brake system and swapped it over intact since they are in good shape. Im in the process of stripping the donor into its component pieces, and I can start cleaning, stripping and painting those... getting them ready for my bike when I'm ready to take it apart. I also just finish rebuilding the forks on mine. Another couple days and I ca start riding mine on a regular basis.

Over the winter I plan to strip mine down to the frame, and hopefully get that powder coated... then put it all back together before spring time.

"The Shadow"
post #51 of 55 Old 09-25-2012, 09:57 AM
The Cripple

Cool, keep us posted! Lovin the oldwing build up.

post #52 of 55 Old 10-30-2012, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

LINK TO BADASS LOOKING HANDLEBARS

What do you guys think?

I bought these bars a couple weeks ago, but sadly they are not going to work out. The riding position they put me in is ridiculous, and gfairly uncomfortable... So, yesterday I bought a set of regular ol' Superbike bars to try out...Think renthal UL's, and that's approximately what the Superbike bend is. It should work out a lot better.

The tire is a Shinko 705 dual-sport tire, and I recieved it yesterday. I'm hoping to get it mounted today! I think it will look pretty badass...we will soon see how it handles. it has the advantage of being cheap...which is also a disadvantage, since you generally get what you pay for in life. It will allow me to start putting a few tentative miles on the bike though, which is important to me.

"The Shadow"
post #53 of 55 Old 11-02-2012, 06:29 AM
rider

might be interested in your spare engine if you're interested in selling it.
don't need carbs, starter, or fuel pump.

post #54 of 55 Old 11-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Milites Gregarius

Here in upstate NY, My insurance is like $80, and that includes comp( if it burns, hits a deer, or floods The bike is covered) and liability and a burial insurance if I 'm not lucky that day.
I like the wing . Was thinking of picking one up to see what can be done with it. Think I'll watch your build first. Interesting.

post #55 of 55 Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb550four View Post
I like the wing . Was thinking of picking one up to see what can be done with it. Think I'll watch your build first. Interesting.

Thanks! It goes slowly, mostly due to lack of time.

I got that tire mounted on the rear wheel, and installed. I got the final drive/drive shaft splines lubed at the same time!

I also decided to go with some "superbike" bars rather than the radical near-clubman setup.

"The Shadow"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode