It's ALIVE!!!!!!! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 34 Old 05-22-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

It's ALIVE!!!!!!!

I bolted on my newly rebuilt carbs to my 1974 360 today. I had them torn apart completely and didn't think they would ever get back together. I finished putting them back together last night with 2 good slides (finally). I put the new float bowl o-rings on today and bolted them up. I spent last night setting the points gaps and checking the valves etc. I figured I would get some type of combustion going, but nothing decent. I cranked it for about 3 seconds and it fired and promptly died. Hmmn.

I tried again and got the same results. I then added a turn to the idle adjuster screw and tried again. Yup, it fired and ran for about 10 seconds. I fiddled a little more and now I have it idling without choke and it sounds halfway decent. I even hooked up the 1 non froze throttle cable and It will take throttle as well.

I never thought I would get this junk heap running, but now there is light at the end of the tunnel. I just wanted it to run so I could start my cafe' project. Now the complete tear down begins. Down to the frame it goes. I'm not going to muck around with trying to build my own seat for my first go, so I'll be looking around for some options.

I am so damn happy now I could just poo!

Happy Memorial Day weekend to all!!!

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 05-22-2009, 01:58 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Congrats!

... don't forget to wipe

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #3 of 34 Old 05-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Awesome!!!

post #4 of 34 Old 05-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Good deal

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #5 of 34 Old 05-22-2009, 07:01 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

That's awesome!

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #6 of 34 Old 05-22-2009, 07:06 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Great job and good luck with the rest of the project.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #7 of 34 Old 05-23-2009, 04:26 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Good work getting the bike running, let the cafe project begin.

post #8 of 34 Old 05-23-2009, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Thanks guys. Amazingly it runs decently and idles good as well. My goal is to take this;

And end up with something like this;

That's a CB350 but you get the general idea. I am trying this on a minimal budget for my first cafe. I just want to build something functional for now. I'm sure this project will be slow and I'll stall a few times along the way, but I'm going to give it hell. If this goes well, I may try to restore one of the other 2 360's I have back to "mostly" original.

Let the money pit begin!

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #9 of 34 Old 05-23-2009, 06:05 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehren2800 View Post
Let the money pit begin!
Oh man, you have no idea...

post #10 of 34 Old 05-23-2009, 06:50 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

I think those cafe racers are so cool lookin I want one

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #11 of 34 Old 05-23-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
Oh man, you have no idea...
I'm sure I'll find out too far into the project. You know how it is then, you just gotta finish it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
I think those cafe racers are so cool lookin I want one
Me too! If mine looks half as good as some I've seen I'll be happy for my first build.

post #12 of 34 Old 05-24-2009, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

I had some time yesterday to work on the bike in between other chores. I fired it up one last time.

chuga chuga

So I started to pull "junk" off the bike. There were many stuck and rusted bolts that needed a lot of PB Blaster, impacting or other cajolling. In the end some broke and some had to be drilled out.

My temporary ghetto battery harness;

Carb rebuilding;

I think I can save these pipes... a little chrome polish and they will be good as new.

My sick bikes I V bottle.

This exhaust did not come off without a fight, a lot of it crumbled into dust.

Amazingly the exhaust bolt stud nuts all came off without ANY problems. I was very surprised with that, from my experience with all my other bikes the exhaust studs are always a problem.

I am glad I got this bike in the dead of winter. I opened up the headlight and it was full of hornets nest, that would have sucked to have a live nest full of those stinging little sob's.

This is where I finished for the night.

The pile of parts. Most of this stuff is junk and will be scrapped. I'll save it all until the build is complete, just in case.

Now comes the hard part. I have to start hacking the frame up. Mocking up the tank, tail/seat unit, rearsets, clipons etc. I'll have to wait on some parts for now, but that is the progress so far.

I wanted to have this bike done by 4th of July originally, but now I can see Labor Day or maybe Halloween? For now I'm having fun and this keeps me out of the crack houses and brothels, so it is a good thing.

post #13 of 34 Old 05-24-2009, 05:32 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

You are missing a piece...

This guy has it.

VINTAGE FAIRING - honda cb350 cb450

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #14 of 34 Old 05-24-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Dude, I just sent that guy $50 to ship it to me. I'm going to burn it and then bury the ashes in an abandoned mine so it will never see the light of day ever again.

I am trying to figure out a bunch of stuff for this bike before I go and ruin the frame. I have a spare set of RC51 rearsets so I tried to envision where I want them. I just safety wired them to the frame, but you can see where the old footpegs and shifter are in relation to the new one.

This set up is pretty cramped. I half measured/guessed at some dimensions.

Using my RS125 as an example, the measurements are;
footpegs to seat; 16"
footpegs to clipons; 31"
clipons to seat; 28"

With this setup I'm getting somewhere around;
footpegs to seat; 15"
footpegs to clipons; 34"
clipons to seat; 29"

The pegs to the seat seem close, but I can add an inch to the seat foam and stretch that out a little. It would be easier if I had a seat, but I'm still debating on making one or just buying one and making it work.

post #15 of 34 Old 05-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase

post #16 of 34 Old 05-25-2009, 04:36 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Wow...That thing spent some time out in the elements didn't it? Should be an interesting build though

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #17 of 34 Old 05-25-2009, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Thanks Simpson. I saw that the other day on Ebay. I'm still on the fence about making my own, or just buying one. With all the other details like wiring, mechanical, cleaning, painting, etc., I don't know that I want to tackle manufacturing my own tail section.

Quote:
Wow...That thing spent some time out in the elements didn't it? Should be an interesting build though
Whatchu talkin' bout Willis? That old girl is pristine, just like the day it came off the assembly line. Ha, ha, ha.

Yep, it is a rusty crusty old lump. The motor is fluid tight and doesn't leak, so hopefully all I have to do is clean, shine, and paint or powdercoat some of the covers and that will be good to go. So a couple hours of cleaning and ~$50 worth of paint/powder and that will be done.

Chopping apart the frame is the most daunting task. That and trying not to hurry and muck it up. I'm documenting and writing down everything along the way so I can look back or try and realize problems before they occur.

In the end I'll have a running bike, and it will be either a cool cafe' or one of the many clapped out turds you see on ebay/craigslist.

post #18 of 34 Old 05-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Yep, it is a rusty crusty old lump. .
Crusty lumps need love too!

post #19 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Crusty lumps need love too!

Hey Simpson, what did you do for new rims? Out of 3 bikes all the rims are pitted and rusting. I don't think any are worth saving. I found some supposed NOS ones on Egay, but they come from Thailand and with shipping they rival the cost of new aluminum ones.

post #20 of 34 Old 05-28-2009, 06:00 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Hey Simpson, what did you do for new rims? Out of 3 bikes all the rims are pitted and rusting. I don't think any are worth saving. I found some supposed NOS ones on Egay, but they come from Thailand and with shipping they rival the cost of new aluminum ones.

I picked up a used pair from flee-bay. Someday I'd like to get new rim and spokes but have put that off due to cost.

post #21 of 34 Old 05-28-2009, 06:11 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Great project ya got going here !

IAs for your wheels, seems I rember getting some new spokes made for a RD, theres a guy and that all e does is make new rims and spokes - Bu,t like always, I cant rember the name of his business. I do rember getting it out of Walnecks Classic Cycle trader though -

post #22 of 34 Old 05-28-2009, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I picked up a used pair from flee-bay. Someday I'd like to get new rim and spokes but have put that off due to cost.
I figured as much. I am going to try and rough up one of the rims and see how it takes epoxy paint. Maybe that will be decent enough. I'm hating the idea of spending most of my budget on the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Great project ya got going here !

IAs for your wheels, seems I rember getting some new spokes made for a RD, theres a guy and that all e does is make new rims and spokes - Bu,t like always, I cant rember the name of his business. I do rember getting it out of Walnecks Classic Cycle trader though -
Thanks... If you remember who that was, shoot me a PM.

post #23 of 34 Old 05-31-2009, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

I had some spare time yesterday. All (most) of the chores are done and I spent some time in the garage working on the CB360.

I took the springs off the shocks and bottomed out the suspension to see what kind of clearance I will have for the tail section/electrical relocation.

It looked like about 3/8 inches, but I couldn't tell with all that stock bracket action going on. So I wheeled it out into the driveway and started hacking the frame up. I took most of the brackets off and rechecked my clearance.

I'm calling that close and I will have to add at least another 1/2 inch of clearance to this for piece of mind and a new tire. I don't expect the suspension to ever be fully collapsed, but you never know.

Here is what the rear section looks like now, no turning back. This will never be a stock bike again. (It's ok, I have 2 more)

I then started to mock up a rear hump out of cardboard and a stainless plate just to see how the battery would fit. It is a small battery, but it starts my FZR400 just fine. I have to check out the rating to make sure it will run the lights.

Here was the first attemp, which looks way too big.

The battery has plenty of room.

The second attempt was a little better, but I think I need to work it out in foam. I don't know. Here it is.

Maybe the rear end needs a little more chopping. It really rises a lot after the shock mounts and it screws up the lines.

post #24 of 34 Old 05-31-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

this is awesome i love chopping oldies up

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #25 of 34 Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Nice progress, for the rear I would try and use the rear of the tank as a guideline, like the pic of the cb350 you posted above. The seat hump rise is pretty close to matching the rear of the tank where it turns down to the seat.

Good luck!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #26 of 34 Old 05-31-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrat View Post
this is awesome i love chopping oldies up
I wasn't so sure at first, but now it doesn't matter anyway. This will either work or the frame will end up a really big paperweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73 View Post
Nice progress, for the rear I would try and use the rear of the tank as a guideline, like the pic of the cb350 you posted above. The seat hump rise is pretty close to matching the rear of the tank where it turns down to the seat.

Good luck!
I'm going to hack off the frame rails just past the shock mounts and see how that looks. I would like to hide my battery under the hump, but it might be tight.

I am with you on the lines for the seat hump. The CB350 is way better for this reason. The frame rails fun straight along the bottom of the fuel tank line. On the 360 it does the same until just before the shock mount where the rails suddenly rise up again. It makes this a lot tougher. I really want my tail section to blend in with the frame rails or sit right on top of them and follow the profile all the way around. This means my tail section has to have the same rise in it and still clear the rear wheel, and fit the battery.

Even though all this is one big headache, I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. I need to order a set of clipons to figure out the seat/clipon/footpeg configurataion, and also a set of tires to make sure of the rear wheel clearance. Money, money, money...

This would be a lot more fun if I wasn't unemployed. Then I could just throw money at it. Oh well, at least I have all kinds of time now, so I can figure out the cheap way to do it.

Later.

post #27 of 34 Old 05-31-2009, 02:37 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

ah, I wasnt even considering the battery, now I looked closer at your mock up.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #28 of 34 Old 05-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Should be a cool lil scoot when your done

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #29 of 34 Old 05-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase

The plot thickens... This is getting good!

post #30 of 34 Old 05-31-2009, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73 View Post
ah, I wasnt even considering the battery, now I looked closer at your mock up.
That is the biggest hang up right now. I have a YTX5L-BS from my race bike that is pretty small. It is 4 1/4" high x 4 1/2" wide x 3" deep. It doesn't have the same specs as the stock battery, but I will only be running the headlight and an LED tail light. If I run turn signals on this, they will be LED as well so the current drain should mostly come from the headlight and ignition system.

I already know this battery will start this bike, as it was what I used to get it running. It cranked a lot of times without going dead.

Quote:
Should be a cool lil scoot when your done
I'm hoping it will at the very least be fun. Heck it already is.

Quote:
The plot thickens... This is getting good!
Yep, ordering parts soon. Clipons, rearsets, tires and tail section. I'm sure of the rearsets and I am down to 2 choices for the clipons. The tail section is up in the air still. I have to get cracking on that ASAP. I want this thing done.

On a cool sidenote, I found and won an Ebay auction for CL360 pipes. The mufflers are gone, but the pipes are still good. I only paid $12 and some change. I also have a freebie heat shield coming. I will hopefully use it to have one made out of Carbon fiber if it is in the budget. If not I'll just heat wrap the exhaust.

post #31 of 34 Old 07-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase

Status report! Bump Bump

post #32 of 34 Old 07-10-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Well, the status at this point is pretty much the same. I got a reworked head off of a guy on Ebay. It was nice except that the post office smashed the hell out of it during shipping. So I had to wait like 3 weeks for the guy to find another one and bead blast, clean, install new valve seals etc. Then it was another week sending the smashed one back and getting the new one.

Unfortunately after I got that squared away I decided to go deer hunting with my CBR 900. Now I am in a cluster F with state farm over parts, gear, total loss etc. I lost some time after the crash as well sitting on the couch waiting for my leg to start working again.

It breaks my balls every time I go out in the garage and see it sitting there just waiting to be finished. *sigh*

Oh, and I tore my master bathroom up for a complete remodel.

I did restore ONE piece of the bike however the rear brake arm. I sanded and painted it with stainless epoxy appliance paint. It looks good and I'm planning on doing a silver frame with silver bodywork and black accents. Cheap but effective.

That's about it. Oh, I got new tires and tubes ready to go, but they may end up on my 350 this season.

post #33 of 34 Old 07-10-2009, 06:10 PM

Sweet now go and the piss out of it!

post #34 of 34 Old 07-29-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

I got to spend a little time with the bike again today until the damn bugs started to feast on me. I'm trying to mount the tail section and get an idea of how the lines will flow. What do you guys think?

I am not sure about the length so far. Maybe an inch or 2 shorter on the tail section. I cut the frame down about as far as I can. I am planning on fabricating a hoop that matches the profile and shape of the tail that will also serve as a mounting point for my battery and electrics.

I cut the rear mount out of the fuel tank as well to allow the tail section to match the tank more closely. I will have to do some minor trimming of the tail section and I have to weld a 3/4" long spacer to the bottom of the tank and drill and tap it to accept a bolt. Little by little this may take shape.

I got a brand new (rebuilt) head for the bike from a local guy. Once all the fabricating is done I'll send the frame and other parts out for media blasting and I'll tear into the motor and inspect and install new seals and gaskets.

Maybe by 2012 I'll be finished.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode