Front end conversion on my '84 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Front end conversion on my '84

It's from an '05 zzr1200. Not too radical, just more modern. The price was right. I punched the stem out of the lower triple. There's a machinist in the UK who just also happens to be another 750Turbo nut and has done several front end conversions. He made me a new stem on his lathe, all I have to do is press it back in.
My bike has the original 18in wheels. I have the zzr front wheel & brakes. I will make new spacers to fit the zzr back wheel into my oem swingarm. Swapping wheels will shave over 15lbs!
I will keep my bar controls. My keyswitch fits the new yoke just fine (thanks Kawasaki!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forks1.jpg (17.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg TRIPLE1.JPG (83.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg TRIPLE2.JPG (74.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg press1.jpg (29.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg zzryoke 001.jpg (39.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1001092236a.jpg (22.4 KB, 9 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Gets censored

man that's a cool mod. I wanna get a old cb1000 and bob it, nothing to do with this but I wanted to say something besides "man that cool" even though it is and thats probally enough. because it is.

Whoa, that hurt a little.

post #3 of 13 Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Survivor/Broken&Busted

Awards Showcase
Community Service Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
man that's a cool mod. I wanna get a old cb1000 and bob it, nothing to do with this but I wanted to say something besides "man that cool" even though it is and thats probally enough. because it is.

Whoa, that hurt a little.
lolol .... ... idk why i laughed at that ... but i did ...

... Never take life too seriously ... Nobody gets out alive anyway ...

post #4 of 13 Old 10-30-2009, 07:05 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Once completed, take a ride up to my neck of the woods, maybe this time the ol' gpz will be able to keep up with the 919. Good luck with the project, keep us posted on its progress.

post #5 of 13 Old 10-31-2009, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

I was gonna talk ratdog into taking a trip up there but then he screwed up his shoulder. Maybe the bike and Humpty-Ratdog-Dumpty will both be back together by Spring.

post #6 of 13 Old 11-05-2009, 02:58 PM
turbofun

GPZ Turbo info

Hello, I am new to this site, and new again to motorcycling. Back in the early 80's I had a gpz 750, and an Intercepter 750 among other bikes. A few months ago I talked my wife into getting my all time dream bike, a 1985 GPz 750 turbo. I got a very clean one that ran real good, but my luck is changing fast. I am getting a code that I need a new boost sensor, and I had it worked on last week (new cam chain tentioner, valve adjust, fork seals) and it seems to be running much worse. When the turbo starts to wind up it does not increase in RPM near as fast as it did, and seems to sputter just a little. Also the idle is varied in RPM. I have read with great intrest though not a great understanding the posts by gpzturbo. Anyone with any tech information, parts availability or replacement information on the hard to find sensors for the DFI, or any general chat I would love to hear it!
Thanks everyone!

post #7 of 13 Old 11-05-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Hey Rocky
Welcome to Wristtwisters and congratulations on acquiring my alltime favorite bike! Don't get too frustrated. You'll run into quirks & glitches with this old bike but when you get them worked out, it's more fun than a roller coaster.

For troubleshooting questions, WT is a great place to ask about almost every bike out there but for the 750 Turbo you must go to 750turbo.com . Post a brief intro there then ask in their forum. I"m the only Turbo owner here but there are hundreds over there.

Did the boost sensor code show up before or after you had it serviced? Whenever this bike throws a code, it will run very erratically. Frequently, the sensor will be fine and the problem will be a corroded connector or ground. This applies especially to the engine temperature sensor.

post #8 of 13 Old 11-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

That is totally bad azz!!

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #9 of 13 Old 11-06-2009, 07:43 AM
turbofun

Thanks GPZ Turbo! I went to 750turbo.com and tried to register and got an e-mail back saying wait for another e-mail with registration info. It never came. I guess I could try again nas I would give my cluch fingers to pick lorcan's brain. I have had a few codes show up now and then but the bike alwas ran gr8. The boost gauge has not worked since I got the bike, and sometime I have had success unplugging the computer and plugging it back in top clear the code and blinking DFI indicator. Getting called to work, will write more later.

post #10 of 13 Old 11-06-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Don't bother addressing Lorcan. He runs the place but they're addimant (sp?) about addressing your questions to the collective. You'll get faster more complete suggestions anyway.
I think I read the boost gauge gets its signal from the sensor. If your sensor is crapping out or if the wiring has an issue it will affect both the gauge and the ecu.
If you don't already have them you can download both the primary gpz manual and the Turbo supplement from the 750turbo site. The supplement will walk you through troubleshooting the boost sensor with a multimeter. If you detach the sensor from the back of the airbox, leaving the short hose intact and the sensor attached to the harness, you can use a bicycle pump to create pressure and meter it at the ecu.
Also check the bike's grounds. There's an engine ground on the right side and another under the tank on the left coil (I think - do a search over there and you'll get more info about cleaning these up). Dirty grounds wreak havoc.
AFter troubleshooting, if you think you need a sensor or want a loaner for testing give me a shout. I think I have one or five laying around.
Also.... An absolute pricless resource for parts and performance mods is Mike Chestnut at Horsepower Unlimited in Gallatin, TN. PM me for his number. They won't talk about Mike on the other site (long story) but he's been into 750Turbo's since they were new and has built both engines and turbochargers for me.
I'm up to four of these things so I guess I"m hooked!

post #11 of 13 Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

a working boost gauge tells a lot. Consider buying an aftermarket liquid filled mechanical gauge and tee-ing it in. It's not expensive and easy to do.
ultimately if the shop fukt something up or adjusted your valves incorrectly, well that would just suck.

post #12 of 13 Old 11-07-2009, 07:55 AM
turbofun

Thanks Boostus

Nice to finally find a person who speaks TURBO. Yeah, I read about not contacting Lorcan directly and will have to try again and get registered to that site. I am pretty new at these forums, this is my first. I have downloaded and saved to CD the service and parts manuals and also linked to some other helpfull sites. The ground next to the coil under the tank could be a factor, I replaced both coils not long ago, but it ran good after. Where do you get the sensors? Are they just ones that were factory that you have accumulated or does someone out there make replacements? I would love to get Mike at H.U. contact info. I had heard he was the guy but google Horsepower Unlimited and you get way to many results. Excuse my ignorance but what is "PM you for the number"? I do not believe the shop messed up the valve adjustment as the motor sounds tight and I have lost the cam chain rattle that has driven me nuts. He messed with the DFI and he/I need to figure out what he has done and undo it. I hope you do not mind me picking your brain to try and get this machine running great again. I live in the mountians of western CO and the roads here are a sport bikers dream!

post #13 of 13 Old 11-07-2009, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

hi Rocky
PM means 'Private Message' - a way for forum members to share information without posting it in the open. If you click on my name (gpzTurbo), one of the options is Send a Private Message. Each time you log one to WristTwisters, if you have any private messages you will see a flashing indicator on the upper right of the screen beneath Welcome. I just sent you one with Mike's info.
The boost sensors I have are just used ones I've collected from parts bikes. You can use a GM 3-bar map sensor which can be purchased new but then you'd have to change the connector on the bike's harness.
Crappy running can often be cured by adjusting the TPS but this would not affect boostsensor-related problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode