CT70 Restoration - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 66 Old 09-12-2009, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

CT70 Restoration

1972 Honda CT70 K1

Hundreds of thousands were sold, the masses learned to ride on these venerable steeds---and some survived. This is the story of one of those.

In my excitement I started ripping off parts & forgot to take pics so these will have to do.

In the beginning...

Fairly complete & good shape--great restoration canidate. Missing flywheel cover, airbox, & original foot pegs. Tail light busted, top end worn. I'm not new to these. I've had 8-9 of these things in various states of disarrary; wound up selling them all off one by one---all parted out, never sold one as a complete bike. Needless to say I can take apart & build these things in my sleep. Of all I had, this one is in the best shape & most complete as I first got it. Anyone who has been around Honda Mini Trails knows the absolute squalor they can be found in....oh the stories a CT or Z can tell. I am kicking myself because I had a huge supply of nice parts for these & now I am starting over at square one---I had nothing left before this project & am now buying worse parts off Ebay than I had several of before .

This one ran for awhile with no air cleaner. A new top end is in order, over bore piston & rings on the way as we speak--& I never even disassembled the engine yet--eek. The seat. Yes CT fans just uttering that word brings shivers doesn't it. The pan has been slightly repaired but probably one of the top two original, unrestored seats I have seen. The second achillies of the CT--the muffler--is shot, NOS to the rescue. Rounding out the trilogy of CT unobtabium parts--the bars--yes bent like they all are, but not too bad. The fold down knobs are frozen & in my experience forcing them means breaking them. They will have to do. The paint looks good under the dust. I dont have the funds or resources to repaint--I will do what I can with it but a CT with paint in this condition almost wears its scars as a badge of honor. Anyone can repaint a crusty CT, finding one that does not need it? Priceless.

I've got it all stipped already, more pics as I progress

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 09-12-2009, 10:49 PM

Great project! Mine looked much worse than that when I got it

post #3 of 66 Old 09-13-2009, 03:43 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I learned to ride on a green one. Tough little machines.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

post #4 of 66 Old 09-13-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

All stripped, cleaned up, & awaiting new decals (reproductions).

I found no good reason to replace the side badges (aluminum plate, not decals). They are not perfect, but I could not bring myself to destroy OEM ones removing them only to replace with reproductions. The side decals, I could. I hope these are the only reproduction parts I use. The market is flooded with reproductions & cheap Lifan/chinese knockoffs that very slightly.

post #5 of 66 Old 09-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Brain stolen again?

Yes, looking good. Very good.

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #6 of 66 Old 09-17-2009, 12:16 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Thats a cool project you got going on there Bryce.

Professional
post #7 of 66 Old 09-17-2009, 12:48 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Looks like a fun project!! Keep the pics coming!

post #8 of 66 Old 09-23-2009, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Thanks for the comments. I won't be setting any speed records with this build for sure.

With the smell of credit card smoke still hanging in the air, the first batch of new parts arrived. 1st overbore piston & rings, chain guard, exhaust, gas cap, intake boot, gaskets, & oil seals. All genuine Honda. Plus reproduction "Honda Trail 70" decals & the "remember", tire pressure info, & battery warning decals. The helmet holder decal was fine.

I actually got the decals on straight with no bubbles.

Very nice, vibrant colors & they matched in size perfect--good thing sice there was a paint fade outline.

The steering head bearings were good--I was expecting mishapen rust blobs--but just cleaned them up & regreased. Also reinstalled front fork & seat latch. Fork seals looked good, so I just put in some fresh oil. The previous model (K0) had no dampening in the fork & had a lame bushing that would cause all kinds of front wheel slop like up to 1/4" at the axle. The K1 fork was a Cadillac by comparison. The K2 went to a rubber fork boot so the metal covers were a K1 only part. I like it because it makes it look inverted (its not, plus the springs are actually external, under the red covers & outside the fork tube itself.)

Next update may be some time. Have to come up with a media blasting setup for alot of parts, need to source some more on feebay & get alot of misc. hardware & trinkets, & find someone to bore my cylinder. Also need a new battery connector on the main wiring harness--& since the harness runs inside the frame I cant put anything else on until its in.

post #9 of 66 Old 09-23-2009, 07:59 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Great project! My childhood buddy Leonard had a green one, had hours of fun on that thing!

post #10 of 66 Old 09-23-2009, 08:54 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Great project! My childhood buddy Leonard had a green one, had hours of fun on that thing!
Ha! I had a buddy too that got one for Christmas one year. His name was Chucky Tingler and he thought it was cool that "Santa" put his initials on his bike. He rode the pi$$ outta that thing.

Professional
post #11 of 66 Old 09-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

wow! looking first rate so far. this is getting good.

post #12 of 66 Old 09-24-2009, 10:58 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I love the smell of credit card smoke in the morning!!

That looks great! It's going to be even nicer than brand new!

post #13 of 66 Old 09-26-2009, 07:33 PM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Great thread, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for those machines.

Have a few engines for them still in the garage, 50's and 70's, fun to mess with.

All of my kids learned to ride on "The Beast"

It's a mid seventies Z50 that we're had for more than twenty years.

DrATV OPERATES HERE is where I used to pick up parts, tons of great sources out there.

Looking forward to seeing more about your build.

post #14 of 66 Old 09-26-2009, 08:34 PM
GLG-20

Garage
This brings back memories. I learned to ride on a red one, 30+ years ago.

Very cool Can't wait for the updates!

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #15 of 66 Old 09-27-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJM View Post

DrATV OPERATES HERE is where I used to pick up parts, tons of great sources out there.
Yep, had that site bookmarked for years but just placed my first order with them--good to hear others have had success with them. I also like:

Home

ordered a few times from them--they are great.

This site is good but never ordered from them.

CHP Race products, Classic Honda USA, Honda CT70, Z50, Pit Bikes, Monkey Bike, XR50, CRF50, NSR50, XR70, CRF70, Pit Bikes, Honda Minitrails, XR100 and NOS, Kitaco, Takegawa Parts and services.

post #16 of 66 Old 09-29-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Mini update....

More new. Battery cover, battery strap, both lower exhaust shields, all new bulbs except headlight which is sealed beam, key cover, wiring harness connector & sheathing, carb rebuild kit, & some other misc exhaust hardware.

The entire muffler, guards, & mounting will be all new except the main shield--& if I can't find a nicer one than I have I'll have to get one of those too.

Installed sheathing on exposed section of wiring harness from steering head to headlight. Also on speedo wires. I had to repair some speedo wires under the sheathing. Also shown is new key cover & battery connector installed. All ends & connectors back to as Honda intended. The sheating I'm not nuts about. The original stuff was very thin wall & shiny plastic. This is like satin thick walled rubber. Oh well, the other was cracked as they all are.

Wire harness was installed in frame.

post #17 of 66 Old 10-06-2009, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Last parts en masse. Still need some Feebay ones though.

Actually have to figure out where that all goes.

The bars are not perfect, slightly bent & the knobs are frozen so they don't fold down--in my experience forcing them means breaking them & making them worthless. I'm impressed by how much they cleaned up since they were pretty rusty--but budget has been exceeded already so they will have to do. Speedo installed with all new bulbs, repaired wire & shrink tube.

post #18 of 66 Old 10-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Lookin' good!!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #19 of 66 Old 10-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Discen

My old man pulled one out of a friend's grove and got it back to working order at least, had hours of fun on that thing. I'm wanting to say we did end up getting the knobs loose for the fold down bars without breaking them by heating up the outside part with a torch, but don't quote me on that.

I'm here for a good time, not a long time
post #20 of 66 Old 10-10-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Engine & carb as I got it.

Tackled the carb today.

New bowl gasket, all O Rings, all phillips screws, petcock rubber disc, petcock strainer screen, float needle & seat. Don't want to mess with a leaky-weapy carb later on. Rest assured the inside is just as clean as the outside. Nice new soft carb-airbox boot also.

post #21 of 66 Old 10-11-2009, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

oops I did it again.

These things are like gremlins, you get them wet & then they are everywhere. Came across these today.

Bought them off those pics alone. Had hopes of using alot of parts of parts but after picking them up wont be able to use as much as I would of liked. Front fender--my original is better. Headlight switch--missing. Seat---my original pan is better. Engine guard--one dent about same as my original--undecided. Left engine cover--wrong year logo. Exhaust guard--one like mine was missing. Still think I wont get burned on them. Can use a few misc odds & ends, will sell some to recoupe some $$, & keep some parts in "inventory." Still planning on using 99% of what came on the original bike.

post #22 of 66 Old 10-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post

New bowl gasket, all O Rings, all phillips screws, petcock rubber disc, petcock strainer screen, float needle & seat. Don't want to mess with a leaky-weapy carb later on. Rest assured the inside is just as clean as the outside. Nice new soft carb-airbox boot also.

Quote:
oops I did it again.

These things are like gremlins, you get them wet & then they are everywhere. Came across these today.
You're killing me! I feel like I'm in a race, and I'm wayyyyyyyyy behind...

Need............more..............project......... .......minis.....

Spoiler:

post #23 of 66 Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

A weak update but an update none the less.

Installed new grips & some new, some old throttle parts. Still going to be a cruise-o-matic it seems as I hooked up the carb & it needed some motovation to close the slide. Can't say I have ever had one snap back. Installed horn button & the rear brake, throttle, & speedo cables. (CT70 cables need to be grey, if you order new ones from Honda they will be black. You have 3 options--1. find nice original, 2. dye or paint the black, 3. buy aftermarket. So far I'm number 1 on all. I have two OK front brake cables but have not installed incase I come across a nicer one. Alos note the K1 has a longer front brake & speedo cable than the K0 due to the longer fork).

One of my parts bike had a nice speedo harness so I swapped that out in lieu of my repaired one that had ugly non original sheathing

Cleaned up the headlight & shift/kick levers. New rubber on the kicker.

With this mess now strewn across the bench things will start happening faster. Weather has terrible this past month--too cold & rainy to do any blasting, painting, etc. I hope to catch up before winter

post #24 of 66 Old 11-05-2009, 06:02 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Fun project, looking forward to more!

post #25 of 66 Old 11-05-2009, 06:12 AM
no max no more

think i rode one as a kid...are those a 2 speed

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #26 of 66 Old 11-05-2009, 06:25 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase

Good stuff, Bryce!

Spoiler:

post #27 of 66 Old 11-07-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Turned the corner on the motor. All clean & ready to start reassembly--getting my cylinder bored is the bottleneck stoping me.

Also got some stuff painted. All parts glass bead blasted to bare metal then 2-3 coats primer & 3-4 coats color (just spray paint). Engine parts used engine paint & primer so it should withstand heat.

Should only have the wheels & foot peg bar left to paint--probably spring.

post #28 of 66 Old 11-07-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

New gas cap, strap, & repainted hold down bracket (did this piece a couple weeks ago so the paint is cured). The battery should be a green case Yuasa. This one is correct, clean, & came with the bike, probably does not hold charge but they do not need them to run (other than hooked up) & this will just sit in my basement so I new one would soon go bad anyway.

& then hiding under the new battery cover

post #29 of 66 Old 11-07-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
think i rode one as a kid...are those a 2 speed
No this one & most others were 3 speed manual shift, auto clutch. There are some rarer ones with 4 speed manual clutches; according to the original advertisements these models were "especially for the men" LOL. Can't do that today I have had two four speeds that I parted out. One K0 & one K1. I wish I kept the K1--the 4 speed manual K1 is my favorite & the best of the best. The one I am fixing here is K1 also but the 3 speed, in my favorite color--candy ruby red. My dad has a matching one in the other K1 color--candy yellow special.

post #30 of 66 Old 11-13-2009, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

QUESTION FORANYONE FOLLOWING ALONG

This bike was down on power according to the PO when I bought---it never even started for me the one time I tried in the PO's garage when I bought it. It had been ran with no air cleaner for a year or more so I figured it breathed dirt & needed a bore.

On disassembly it showed little to no sign of blow by surprisingly. I am still going to the first overbore though just incase.

The exhaust valve looked OK in my amatuer opinion. The intake valve though was not close to smooth where it contacted the valve seat nor would any amount of work get it there (Honda says cant grind these valves anyway). So I stole a intake valve from one of my parts bikes & it looked much better, I then cleaned the seats & valves with a soft stainless & brass brushes & polished them after.

They look like this

Pic sucks I know.

I then held the valves in the seats from the chamber side with my finger (no springs) & filled each port at a time with acetone (has to be thinnest material known to man). I was satisfied they were not leaking after this----but want to make sure with others before I button this up---opinions?

post #31 of 66 Old 11-21-2009, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Dad's matching K1 in the house for inspiration...

I've completely disassembled it & cleaned it but nothing like I am doing to this one.

Anyway...

All CT70 fenders look like this.

(Ignore the shiny spot where I was testing out my blasting.)

Without buying NOS I am trying something new to improve on them. I glass bead blasted the undersides, not the chrome. I then covered all chrome with tape including the wrap around lip--the front fender is so scratched I need to find another but I will clean that one up the same way.

Then I sprayed with a couple coats of clear coat.

Cylinder is bored & I am repainting since the bore guy messed all my nice paint up.

I will have completed engine pics up in days...

post #32 of 66 Old 11-27-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Engine finished.

All new gaskets, seals, o-rings, fresh bore, piston, & rings. Lots new hardware.

Yes it is the same engine in all pics above.

Coming along---I have spark too!

post #33 of 66 Old 11-28-2009, 04:03 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Looking good. The comment about "just set in the basement." You're planning on riding this thing aren't you?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #34 of 66 Old 11-28-2009, 04:54 AM
no max no more

Quote:
No this one & most others were 3 speed manual shift, auto clutch. There are some rarer ones with 4 speed manual clutches; according to the original advertisements these models were "especially for the men" LOL. Can't do that today I have had two four speeds that I parted out. One K0 & one K1. I wish I kept the K1--the 4 speed manual K1 is my favorite & the best of the best. The one I am fixing here is K1 also but the 3 speed, in my favorite color--candy ruby red. My dad has a matching one in the other K1 color--candy yellow special.
thanks for the info your doing a great job

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #35 of 66 Old 11-28-2009, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Looking good. The comment about "just set in the basement." You're planning on riding this thing aren't you?
I will ride it when I'm done & take it out for excercise a couple times a year I suppose--but I don't plan on using it as any form of transportation. Bad deal is I don't have a title. I have gotten a title for a bike before but it was expensive & at this point not worth the $$$ & risk for the reward. Mostly it will just sit in my house, yes.

post #36 of 66 Old 03-02-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

After pricing reproduction seat covers it just made more sense to get a whole new seat. Here it is:

Extremely good reproduction. The pan is almost exact, could not tell unless side by side (original is missing seat bumpers & tool retainer from the years--they are suppsoed to have them & it did at one time, I even bought brand new Honda replacements from when I thought I was using it). The box says "Honda" on it & it may fool some but this is not original Honda--none are. An original Honda seat is akin to the Yeti, Bigfoot, the Abominable Snowman---they don't exist. The K1 had this 1 year only 6 pack/washboard type heat pressing. K0's had more of tuck & roll look with rivets around the base & K2 & later had heat press alll the way across the seat with the same chrome base.

Did not come with a seat bracket so I'll have to strip & repaint the old when the weather turns.

Bolted on a few more parts. Completed controls (minus 1 point for non original black heat shrink on the HI/LO switch, it should be light gray) with original gray cables. Levers (minus 1 point for missing the black tip caps, the levers are original Honda but the tips were removed, might try some tool dip later), horn, test fit new exhaust, K1 1 year only hard to find tail light bracket. The K0 had their own tail light bracket & shared a light with the Z50. The K1 was the odd man out & used the full CB tail light (getting a nicer one, the light is easy to get the bracket is whats rare). They look huge on a bike this size. By the time the K2 came out Honda had developed the XL series & they switched to that tail light which fit the bike a whole lot better.

post #37 of 66 Old 03-03-2010, 01:41 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Looking really good, those machines have a warm spot in my heart.

There are boxes of parts and a few motors somewhere in the garage, one of those hobbies from days gone by.

Looking forward to some action pictures of you or someone riding it!

post #38 of 66 Old 03-03-2010, 02:57 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Sweet. That little piece of history is looking real good.

post #39 of 66 Old 03-04-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

I have 11 CT70 shocks at current. I'd say no more than 4 are not bent. The exhaust side is almost always bent--the one on my bike included. After tossing aside the obviously bent ones I took apart about 4 more shocks before I found another non bent mate to my chain-side original. I was surprised the ones that did not even look bent that were as soon as you got the cover & spring off to see the damper rod.

I used a homemade CT70 shock compressor. Both of these travel through the full stroke without any binding or stickiing & even have some dampening left. The exhaust side paint always gets burnt off the cover. K1 & later had the full black plastic under the springs, K0 models did not.

post #40 of 66 Old 03-05-2010, 05:09 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
I have 11 CT70 shocks at current. I'd say no more than 4 are not bent. The exhaust side is almost always bent--the one on my bike included. After tossing aside the obviously bent ones I took apart about 4 more shocks before I found another non bent mate to my chain-side original. I was surprised the ones that did not even look bent that were as soon as you got the cover & spring off to see the damper rod.

I used a homemade CT70 shock compressor. Both of these travel through the full stroke without any binding or stickiing & even have some dampening left. The exhaust side paint always gets burnt off the cover. K1 & later had the full black plastic under the springs, K0 models did not.

I like tools like that, good job!

Great write up too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode