Changing Clutch & Shaft Drive Oil on a 1982 Honda Magna V45 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 10-19-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Changing Clutch & Shaft Drive Oil on a 1982 Honda Magna V45

I have never worked on a shaft drive or hydraulic clutch bike before. I want to change all fluids.

First the hydraulic clutch. Do you bleed it just like a brake? On a brake you feel resistance before the lever hits the bar-so how do you do a clutch? I have done brakes many, many, times--more than I cared to.

Now the shaft drive--the rear "differential" where the rear sprocket would be looks pretty obvious, drain in the bottom & fill it up until it runs out the fill hole I assume. My question is: is there a separate reservoir up where the front sprocket should be or is that just bathed in engine oil? I dont see a drain plug there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Le So Cal Troll

the front is likely bathed in engine / tranny oil (think the output shaft for a front sprocket on a normal chain driven bike.... in this case instead of a sprocket you have a simple ujoint) Now that u joint might have a zerk fitting for lubing of the actual u join bearings.

as far as hydro clutch... pretty much the same procedure as a break. pull lever slowly in hold, open bleeder, close bleeder once fluid slows down comming out, release lever slowly.

post #3 of 5 Old 10-19-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

I am concerned there would be a ring & pinion outside the main case. I am thinking the shaft would exit the main case just like a sprocket equipped bike, then have a pinion gear instead of sprocket. The pinion would then turn a ring gear (it has to get 90 degrees somehow) then go to the u-joint you discuss, on to the shaft, differential, etc. Anyone had one of these before?

post #4 of 5 Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Sixty-9er

25k miles of shaft experience here, don't mess with the front end of the shaft its fine. Long run before draining the rear to mix it up good and refill to top of the filler hole. Should smell like shit and probably metally looking. Make sure you use hypo gear oil 90w80 or whatever it calls for.

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #5 of 5 Old 10-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrusher4444 View Post
25k miles of shaft experience here, don't mess with the front end of the shaft its fine. Long run before draining the rear to mix it up good and refill to top of the filler hole. Should smell like shit and probably metally looking. Make sure you use hypo gear oil 90w80 or whatever it calls for.
Just confirming what everyone else said. Just a u-joint up front no worries there. My bike had the gear lube spec cast right into the final drive housing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode