CB350 Four - The Beginning... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 10-19-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

CB350 Four - The Beginning...

Keeping it in the family...Gin's Uncle George's 1973 Honda CB350 Four. I'll let the pictures tell the story:

Purchased new in 1973 by Uncle George for $1214. All original documentation, sale paperwork, promo brochures, packing list, and 35 years of receipts. Bike is complete and in very good condition, no missing parts, paint is dull but should buff out, chrome is in good shape and should polish nicely. Pipes are in great shape, no rust. Many extra parts including front and rear fenders, handlebars, front and rear wheels, gas tank, complete engine, stock seat and turnsignals. Has an oil cooler installed, along with a Vetter fairing, saddlebags, rear rack and box.

Tires hold air, oil is clean, spark plugs are newer NGK's. Gas tank has a bit of rust inside, not too bad. All lights and electrical components worked when hooked up to a battery charger. Didn't start with a splash of gas and some starting fluid in the air box, but it turned over freely and had good spark. Think it will fire up without too much work, but plan to tear it down for a complete restoration.

I'm thinking I'll remove the fairing and bags, put it back to stock condition. My winter's project awaits!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Ah... A flashback to the 70's. I am very familiar with the small 4. Do not attempt to start it until the complete fuel system(gas tank and carbs.) are cleaned out. Hopefully the carburetor bowls were drained before the bike was put in storage.

Stock is what I would also do. Good luck with the winter project.

post #3 of 23 Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Love the helmets!!!! Somebody really loved that bike for years. Think it should look pretty sweet if you put it in stock form. Post more pics when you start working on it.

post #4 of 23 Old 10-19-2008, 09:22 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Wow that's an awesome find. Clean it up and honor Uncle George by loving the bike and riding it in his memory.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #5 of 23 Old 10-20-2008, 03:51 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Wow very nice Scott. That thing is gonna be nice when youre done! Good luck with it.

post #6 of 23 Old 10-20-2008, 04:24 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Awesome Scott, good luck cleaning up and restoring that piece of family memoribillia!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #7 of 23 Old 10-20-2008, 04:25 AM
Vintage Honda

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Talking

Scott - I know you will do Uncle George proud.

I've been doing the vintage thing for some time. A great bunch of people to hang out with... You've gotta do mid-Ohio with your restoration.

One more thing. Hold onto the fairing and bags. I know that the purest wants factory original - but the conversation you get from the ad ons... a lot of those acsessories have been trashed and when restored they spark a lot of attention.

Try thinking of it this way: Vintage bikes are all about how motorcycling was lived not how it was sold...

Good Luck!

post #8 of 23 Old 10-20-2008, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. J View Post
Scott - I know you will do Uncle George proud.

I've been doing the vintage thing for some time. A great bunch of people to hang out with... You've gotta do mid-Ohio with your restoration.

One more thing. Hold onto the fairing and bags. I know that the purest wants factory original - but the conversation you get from the ad ons... a lot of those acsessories have been trashed and when restored they spark a lot of attention.

Try thinking of it this way: Vintage bikes are all about how motorcycling was lived not how it was sold...

Good Luck!
I was hoping you'd chime in Dr. J, I'll be picking your brain along the way I'm sure! Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely hang onto the accessories, but I do really want to see it naked for my own tastes at first. I have all the receipts from when he purchased the fairing and bags, also a copy of a letter George wrote to the Arthur Fulmer company in Indianapolis looking for the green metal flake paint they used on their helmets so he could color match the accessories.

He was an extremely detailed man, makes for fascinating reading sorting through all his records of the bike, can get a real feel for how it evolved over the years. That custom seat with his and Barbara's height and weight still taped to the bottom is a great example, his receipts from ordering the seat are with it as well.

Anyone have any experience with that oil cooler add-on? Not sure what to make of that, although there are service records of having the head gasket replaced in 1977 for $73, so maybe he put it on because it was running hot from riding two up with luggage? How about the giant Fram oil filter as well, that made me smile.

He used this little bike for his touring bike until he got his first Gold Wing, obviously wasn't afraid to ride it, put 27k on it over the years. The Honda literature is great, I'll scan some and post it up. They call this a "super bike" and describe it with the most glowing prose imaginable, fast, powerful, smooth, the new 350 Four has it all!

post #9 of 23 Old 10-20-2008, 05:32 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Very nice sbeau! I love the original finned oil filter... to to locate a few of those if possible and those gel coat helmets sweet. Crack out that fringed suede jacket that you know you still have in the closest and you're good to go!

post #10 of 23 Old 10-20-2008, 05:52 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
Post more pics when you start working on it.
+1!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #11 of 23 Old 10-20-2008, 06:06 AM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I vote for keeping the luggage/fairing (assuming it's all serviceable) on it, simply because that's how you found it, and that's how Uncle George wanted the bike.

But naked doesn't suck, either. Nice Find!!!

post #12 of 23 Old 10-20-2008, 07:52 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

What a great find ! Its great to keep it in the family - yo udont see too muhc of that anymore - I couldnt imagine touring on a 350 - four ! Talk about buzzy !
Please do keep up all posted on this one !

post #13 of 23 Old 10-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

The baby four is not all that buzzy. IMO: the 919 has it beat when it comes to buzzy.

post #14 of 23 Old 10-20-2008, 07:58 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

What a wonderful project for you and Gin to work on, Scott.
Hurray for Uncle George!
I can't wait to follow your progress on this one.
post #15 of 23 Old 10-20-2008, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Check out this sales brochure and spec sheet, I love the pencil marks where George was negotiating the price!

post #16 of 23 Old 10-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the memories Scott.

post #17 of 23 Old 10-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Vintage Honda

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Anything with four pipes is cool.... keep in touch.

post #18 of 23 Old 10-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

Good Times!

Don't change anything, Just clean & polish it real good.
That thing is a gem!

post #19 of 23 Old 10-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran Donation 

Very cool.
My vote would be, keep the bags, sell the (vetter? Windjammer) fairing, install a cafe style fly screen instead. Find a 4-1 pipe and knock off about 30 lbs

Those things sound great on the pipe at about 10,000 rpm.
JohnnyB

post #20 of 23 Old 10-21-2008, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Very cool.
My vote would be, keep the bags, sell the (vetter? Windjammer) fairing, install a cafe style fly screen instead. Find a 4-1 pipe and knock off about 30 lbs

Those things sound great on the pipe at about 10,000 rpm.
JohnnyB
It's a Vetter, George put it on in 1974 along with the bags, have all the purchase receipts. I'd consider a header if the stock pipes weren't in such good shape, but I love the 4 pipes and plan to polish them up to look like new.

I'll obviously take it all off to clean and polish the bike, some pretty persuasive arguments to restore it as George had built it. That is the bike's personality, it was a little touring bike, they put 27,000 miles on that machine with those bags and fairing. It got put aside when he got his first Gold Wing, bet that was quite the transistion huh?

I unloaded it at my work shop yesterday with the help of three of my technicians. Backed the truck up to our alignment rack, raised the rack over the tailgate and lowered one side's ramp down on top of it. I straddled the bike, had one guy on the floor steadying the bike, one in front pushing it and me balancing on a 12" wide rack. The other guy had to pull the truck forward and then slowly let down the rack, got it all unloaded without incident and it's tucked away under cover next to the BSA and Alfa for right now.

I'll be traveling for the next two weeks, hope to start working on it by mid November.

post #21 of 23 Old 10-21-2008, 05:55 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

I'm salivating at your/Georges bike Scott! I can't wait to hear about the complete restoration and ride reports. The fact that you still have all the documentation from the entire life of the bike + George's notes is priceless.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #22 of 23 Old 10-21-2008, 06:03 AM
Sheepdog

If you haven't been over and joined http://forums.sohc4.net, you should. I've been a member over there for some time, and I feel it is the best motorcycle forum on the net. You will find many experts on all aspects of the SOHC Hondas over there, from restoring and collecting, to hot-rodding and cafeing (is that a word?) these bikes. I've owned quite a few of them over the years, although never the "baby four." At the present, I have a 74 550 four and a 76 & 77 750f. These are some of the most bullet-proof, reliable bikes Honda ever made.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away! Support Concealed Carry & the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams
post #23 of 23 Old 10-21-2008, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfordguy View Post
If you haven't been over and joined http://forums.sohc4.net, you should. I've been a member over there for some time, and I feel it is the best motorcycle forum on the net. You will find many experts on all aspects of the SOHC Hondas over there, from restoring and collecting, to hot-rodding and cafeing (is that a word?) these bikes. I've owned quite a few of them over the years, although never the "baby four." At the present, I have a 74 550 four and a 76 & 77 750f. These are some of the most bullet-proof, reliable bikes Honda ever made.
Excellent info, thank you very much ofg!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode