82 kawi kz 750n (shaft) - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By KarlJay

post #1 of 7 Old 12-26-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

82 kawi kz 750n (shaft)

a friend has a 82 kawi kz 750n that he's trying to restore. I don't know if this bike was sold in any numbers, but I hope someone knows a little about them. it seems the transmission is stuck, it will go in 1st gear but will not go in any other gears. it sounds like its not hitting a shift dog or something to me. was this a common problem with these bikes and is there anything that can be done short of pulling the engine and checking the transmission. any help would be appreciated. p.s. it is not running and has been sitting up for a couple of years but is in good shape for its age

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-26-2018, 06:46 PM
Brain stolen again?

Put fresh oil in it, put it in gear and rock it back and forth a whole bunch to try and get the oil to fully coat the internal transmission parts, then paddle the shifter to get the shift drum moving.

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #3 of 7 Old 12-26-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

ok will give it a try. thanks.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-26-2018, 07:09 PM
McTavish

If the bike has a centre stand or can be supported such that the rear wheel is off the ground.
Do as Bigdaa suggested but also use the rear wheel to do the back and forth motion.

Assumed is that the engine has been proofed for free rotation, thus the focus on the transmission and nothing else but.

I trust the rear brake and chain have also been proofed for free rotation.

post #5 of 7 Old 12-26-2018, 09:46 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I made a video of my shaft driven 700S years ago when I rebuilt it. It sounds like the sliders are stuck. I'd raise the rear wheel on a stand and rock the wheel back and forth while trying to move the shifter.

I'd get a diagram showing the ratchet part of the shifter and see if there is a way to clean it up without opening the case.

One trick you can do is to drain the oil and replace it with a solvent.

Drain all the oil and add something very thin. Add enough to get to the gears. Rock the engine by the rear tire or remove a cover that allows you to hand crank the engine.

Here's the shift drum, you can tell if the arms are moving in the guides or not. Solvent and rocking might break it free if that's the problem.

Here's how the arms shift, if your arms (forks) are stuck on the shaft, the solvent might break it free.

After you use the solvent (without running the engine) you can drain and blow the air thru it to remove the solvent. Then flush and change the oil a few times.
Bigdaa and mcromo44 like this.

post #6 of 7 Old 12-27-2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

thanks all. will give it a try!

post #7 of 7 Old 12-27-2018, 08:32 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Just in case it gets missed in the video, the spring action on the forks comes from the drum. You should be able to feel the spring tension where the shifter connects to the shaft (where your shift foot goes). That tension is very important and might be "gummed up".

There is probably a seal you access from the outside of the case where the shift lever attaches. If you can open that and clean it up, you might get it unstuck.

So, I'd look at the drums where the gears slide and the shift drum springs. You should be able to compare the spring tension to other bikes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode