1986 Yamaha Fazer - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 02-27-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

1986 Yamaha Fazer

Had a call, a guy I used to work with picked one of these up for a few hundred dollars. They were one of my favorite motorcycles from that era, always thought a 1000cc version would of been awesome.

His runs, no major issues, just taking it down for detailing and preparation for the season.

State of the art for 1986 - and beyond.

In fact, I can see some of that fancy new BMW right here in this machine, from more than 2 decades ago - Yeah, BMW's "new" four
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fazer.jpg (80.2 KB, 155 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Immune

I have a cousin that has bought two of those. One is a European model and the Speedo reads in kilometers. For a second I thought that bike was really moving. They are fun bikes for sure. My first bike was a Yamaha Radian and I must say that riding his Fazer reminded me an awful lot of my Radian. If I could find a Radian in good condition I'd think about buying another just for the sake of nostalgia.

post #3 of 9 Old 03-13-2010, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I've got the carbs on my workbench, going them them for the owner.

Has an air leak somewhere, I'm going to track it down.

Drag strip opens in April, he is game to taking the bike out - while it is only an eighth mile strip, the Fazers ran as quick as the 919 in the quarter, so I've got a feeling he'll be smoking me on my old SOHC CB750, but we'll just have to wait and see.

The Radians were also some great looking machines, you can still find them, pretty inexpensive too.

I'd like to find one of these Fazers and drop the 1000cc engine in one, now that would be a sleeper, seems like a few people have done the conversion and it worked out.

Overkill, sometimes it is just enough.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-14-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Finished up the carbs today, they were really clean.

Did soak the pilots (slow jets) in carb cleaner for a couple days. They are #15's, so they are tiny - and some gunk did appear to come out when hit with compressed air -

Mains are 144's - maybe too big, but we'll cross that bridge if we have too.

Float height, the actual process for the FZX700 is a PIA so I did a quick measure, all the same, call it good.

Removed the throttle slides w/diaphrams - found three had pinholes and one near tear. Took some black silicone and used a Q-Tip to apply just the right amount to the right placed - you should do this to the pressure not the vacuum side.

When I removed the needles, they were corroded but more importantly, there were three washers under the needle, and it was on the fourth slot down.

Moved the clip to the third slot, one washer on the bottom, others on top (one was a small one, other "normal").

Back to the corroded needles, I used some Flitz (SemiChrome works well too) to polish them up, they came out really nice.

Next, two of the four carbs had the tiny air passage on the diaphram to seat gasket area plugged up, this was opened up, again, it is a tiny hole, but needs to be open.

Mixture screws, turned them all to 3.5 out - all were near that already except one was about 2.25

The guy came and picked them up, gave me $30.00, I thought that was cool.

We'll know soon if it makes a difference.

post #5 of 9 Old 03-16-2010, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Had a call last nite, later than usual.

Did not make out who it was, the person was obviously excited about something - then I did make out "hey, just listen!"

I heard a motorcycle starter engage, then Vrooom, vroooom vrooom........

Sounded good, really good -

Ah ha! It's a nice feeling when you do something and it works.

Even nicer when some of the customers from the dealership I used to work at hunted me down, wanting me to work on their motorcycle. Guess they already took it to the dealership once this year, the job did not get done......

This one "ex-customer" works with my wife, they came to her asking if I could, please, fix their motorcycle, it sat for a year and just does not run right now -

My wife told them, no, he does not do any work on the side, but he did just do a set of somethings for someone, let me ask him -

Maybe it is time to "get back into it"......

post #6 of 9 Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 PM
dr1
dr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJM View Post

Removed the throttle slides w/diaphrams - found three had pinholes and one near tear. Took some black silicone and used a Q-Tip to apply just the right amount to the right placed - you should do this to the pressure not the vacuum side.
What are the symptoms of this problem? I just tore apart the carbs off an LTD 440 today, that was giving me some trouble. It had a signifigant tear on 1 carb and, I remembered reading this so I gave that a try myself. Will find out tommorow how long that fix will last :P

post #7 of 9 Old 03-18-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1 View Post
What are the symptoms of this problem? I just tore apart the carbs off an LTD 440 today, that was giving me some trouble. It had a signifigant tear on 1 carb and, I remembered reading this so I gave that a try myself. Will find out tommorow how long that fix will last :P
Carb opens slowly, if at all -

Sometimes it works and lasts really well, good luck with it!

More than glad to help

post #8 of 9 Old 03-31-2010, 05:53 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I have A GUYS 1977 cb400 automatic sitting in my shop needing the carbs done, I just have not got around to doing it. I told him when he dropped it off, I will get to it when I get to it. He understood, so I guess this next week or so when I get back from my 2-4,5 day excursion I am planning to take, I will get started on them.

It always gives me a warm fuzzy when I get a set of carbs that you pull the float bowls and the jets are green and gummed up and everything looks aweful because folks do not ride or at least drain the gas if it is going to sit for 8 months or more and I get it running.

Like my 200 ATC I left it sitting with gas in it for a year and clean the carb real good, knocked off all the green opened the gumed up jets, and she purrs like a kitten once again!

OK, Sorry for my stories on yours, Nice work, I just love it when a plan comes together!

Now I gotta cut the dang grass..............

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #9 of 9 Old 03-31-2010, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMountaintop View Post
I have A GUYS 1977 cb400 automatic sitting in my shop needing the carbs done, I just have not got around to doing it. I told him when he dropped it off, I will get to it when I get to it. He understood, so I guess this next week or so when I get back from my 2-4,5 day excursion I am planning to take, I will get started on them.

It always gives me a warm fuzzy when I get a set of carbs that you pull the float bowls and the jets are green and gummed up and everything looks aweful because folks do not ride or at least drain the gas if it is going to sit for 8 months or more and I get it running.

Like my 200 ATC I left it sitting with gas in it for a year and clean the carb real good, knocked off all the green opened the gumed up jets, and she purrs like a kitten once again!

OK, Sorry for my stories on yours, Nice work, I just love it when a plan comes together!

Now I gotta cut the dang grass..............
No appologies needed - I enjoyed the story, good - no GREAT stuff!

No mowing here yet, maybe next weekend. Bought a bag of weed n feed, that usually kills off most of the yard....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode