1969 CB350 What's it worth? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 42 Old 02-07-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

1969 CB350 What's it worth?

I'm looking at a couple classic bikes right now. I just lost out on a running 1970 Yamaha R5, and I am looking at a 69 CB350, 75 RD250 etc. right now. The prices I am seeing online vary wildly on all these bikes. What is a good price for a running late 60's to about 76 CB350/CB360. Assume that the bike is in good shape with minimal defects, but not a show quality bike.

I know a lot of you guys on here own or have owned, or are currently building your own projects of this type, so I'm looking for some assistance. Help a brother out!

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 02-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Enormous member

Honestly, if you keep your eyes out for these types of bikes, you can usually pick winners for less than a grand. I'm finishing a '74 RD 250 right now that I bought for $500.

post #3 of 42 Old 02-08-2009, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

I have been keeping an eye out for some time now. It seems that I live within a 300 mile radius of a twisted reality. Honestly, you should see some of the prices people are asking for complete junk that hasn't even run in years. Most of the "bargains" I find will need a complete overhaul just to make them somewhat road worthy.

Now when I search beyond say a 300 mile radius to cities like Chicago, New York City, and out west the bargains become real, however the shipping charges pretty much negate the savings.

I'm still on the lookout for bargains right now. I'm also torn between real cheap bikes that I can build into a nice cafe racer or spending a little more and trying to do a nice restoration project.

Oh well, the search continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Honestly, if you keep your eyes out for these types of bikes, you can usually pick winners for less than a grand. I'm finishing a '74 RD 250 right now that I bought for $500.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci

post #4 of 42 Old 02-08-2009, 07:25 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

good luck with your search. I have a rebel 450 in the garage to work on. It was a starter bike, but now I am ready to do some restoring, because it has seen better days and sat for over a year.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #5 of 42 Old 02-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

The recent popularity of vintage Japanese bikes has driven the prices sky high, as you are finding out. Do not get discouraged, sooner or later one will come your way at a reasonable price. Cafe vs. resto? Hard call... How about one of each?

Always glad to offer input with a potential buy when the time comes.

post #6 of 42 Old 02-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

did yall see the cherry little cb750 i put in the craigslist finds???

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/1024191911.html

if you want a eye put on it let me know..

post #7 of 42 Old 02-09-2009, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
good luck with your search. I have a rebel 450 in the garage to work on. It was a starter bike, but now I am ready to do some restoring, because it has seen better days and sat for over a year.
Sounds like a cool little undertaking, good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
The recent popularity of vintage Japanese bikes has driven the prices sky high, as you are finding out. Do not get discouraged, sooner or later one will come your way at a reasonable price. Cafe vs. resto? Hard call... How about one of each?

Always glad to offer input with a potential buy when the time comes.
Yep, the popularity seems to be driving the prices up somewhat. I do find good deals, just not within a reasonable distance to make them worth while. I would travel anywhere in the country to pick up a bike for the right deal. With something new I could fly and ride. With older non-running bikes that means time and miles driven to go get the bike. I'm still looking though.

Do both you say??? Hmmn.... sounds like you and I are on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post

Thanks Barton, looks nice. I am trying to stay with smaller displacement bikes for what I want. I think it will be nice to ride a bike quickly through the twisties that is barely capable of breaking 100mph!

post #8 of 42 Old 02-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:

The 1981 was a newer dual-cam model. Not much interest in those as a classic.

post #9 of 42 Old 02-09-2009, 06:27 AM
Enormous member

Yeah, and CB750's were common as dirt. They made a friggin' bazillion of 'em, and there are a lot of them on the road.

Two-smokers seem to get a lot of the attention, these days.

post #10 of 42 Old 02-09-2009, 08:17 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Cant help with the CB - How ever , seems that the prices have gone up dramaitically over the past few years ,espically on bikes that are nice/resotred/running. What kind of budget are you planning on going with ? The more you spend, you normally get a nicer bike ( duh ) -- ifyour looking for a super nice, ready to ride , or fully restored bike you may wanna take a trip to Deland Fl in March - Loks like they already have some goodstuff thats going on the block there , they even have a NSR 400 listed !!!- http://www.batorauctions.com/

post #11 of 42 Old 02-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

I would say this in general for small Japanese vintage bikes...

100 or free basket case
500-700 rough shape
700-2000 good shape
2000-4000 show room / mint

post #12 of 42 Old 02-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Jerry Wood runs a good auction. As a matter of fact too good! Don't ask.

post #13 of 42 Old 02-10-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Cant help with the CB - How ever , seems that the prices have gone up dramaitically over the past few years ,espically on bikes that are nice/resotred/running. What kind of budget are you planning on going with ? The more you spend, you normally get a nicer bike ( duh ) -- ifyour looking for a super nice, ready to ride , or fully restored bike you may wanna take a trip to Deland Fl in March - Loks like they already have some goodstuff thats going on the block there , they even have a NSR 400 listed !!!- http://www.batorauctions.com/
A bunch of nice stuff there! I'm looking to spend a lot less than what most of those bikes will go for, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
I would say this in general for small Japanese vintage bikes...

100 or free basket case
500-700 rough shape
700-2000 good shape
2000-4000 show room / mint
Sounds reasonable. How about this one? It really caught my eye.

Ebay auction

post #14 of 42 Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

post #15 of 42 Old 02-10-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Yep, no title... Other than that it looks like a fun little bike. The search continues.

On another note. I went tonight to look at a 1976 CB200 with 9k on it. The guy is asking $700 and on the CL ad it looked pretty clean and supposedly runs. So I called and made arrangements to see it. When I get to the guys house his son comes out to show me the bike. It is buried in the garage, and I mean buried. There was all kinds of crap on top/sides etc. The kid started to dig it out when the old man came out and told his kid to stop unless I was serious? WTF??

I told the guy that I would like to at least look at it before I decide to buy it or not. He tells me it runs good but the battery is dead! How do people expect to sell anything this way? I sold ONE bike in my life, just one. When the buyer came to see it, I had the bike clean and parked in the driveway ready for inspection. I would understand if the guy was selling a box of parts, but just taking his word that it runs is a little much for me. I couldn't even get close enough to take even a little look at the bike without climbing over a mountain of junk.

UGH! People need a good hard sometimes.

post #16 of 42 Old 02-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Don't let the lack of title scare you off. That CB 350 is sweet, looks almost identical to the 1970 model I had. Just for grins, try to get in touch with the seller. Maybe you could work out a deal.

post #17 of 42 Old 02-11-2009, 07:03 AM
it's a honda, not a bmw

What's it worth?

A question I asked myself many times before tearing apart my CB350F. I had considered selling her for a moment, but in the back of my mind she's valued at priceless. She ended up a little rough over the years, and I don't intend to restore her to original, but I'd like her to be clean and drivable again. When she's done and ready for the road all that matters is the huge smile I'll have on my face.

Good luck finding something that will do the same for you (without breaking the bank.)

post #18 of 42 Old 02-11-2009, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Don't let the lack of title scare you off. That CB 350 is sweet, looks almost identical to the 1970 model I had. Just for grins, try to get in touch with the seller. Maybe you could work out a deal.
At first I wasn't worried at all. Then I started to look into it and I come to find out that trying to title and register a bike in Ohio where I live is next to impossible. I do have a few friends in PA that would probably be willing to try and get a title from PA. That seems like a lot of hassle to me. If it was a pile of parts in boxes, I wouldn't worry and could find a titled frame eventually to make it road legal, but for that price I couldn't see having a bike I couldn't legitimately ride on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuceWI View Post
What's it worth?

A question I asked myself many times before tearing apart my CB350F. I had considered selling her for a moment, but in the back of my mind she's valued at priceless. She ended up a little rough over the years, and I don't intend to restore her to original, but I'd like her to be clean and drivable again. When she's done and ready for the road all that matters is the huge smile I'll have on my face.

Good luck finding something that will do the same for you (without breaking the bank.)
Good advice!

post #19 of 42 Old 02-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 

I would not pay over 1500. But it does have some nice points like the tach.

post #20 of 42 Old 02-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Enormous member

I just picked up a CB450 this morning that's been sitting in an air-conditioned garage since 1978. $600.

post #21 of 42 Old 02-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehren2800 View Post
At first I wasn't worried at all. Then I started to look into it and I come to find out that trying to title and register a bike in Ohio where I live is next to impossible. I do have a few friends in PA that would probably be willing to try and get a title from PA.
Ant chance you could do what Simpson did?

Quote:
I found a title recovery service and they will charge me 250 clams to get a title. Together with the mech fixes it will be about 400 dollar bike. Originally it was meant to be my girl friends bike, but I see myself putting some miles on it. Should be ready in a couple weeks.

post #22 of 42 Old 02-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Imaginifer

Unfortunately in Ohio if your vehicle doesn't have a title you can't get one.
You can't even get a junk/salvage title I have tried.

Paul

Live to ride, but ride to ride another day!
post #23 of 42 Old 02-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

he could get simpson to get him one in va... then sell it to him in ohio for 5bucks then bingo.... title..

post #24 of 42 Old 02-11-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I would not pay over 1500. But it does have some nice points like the tach.
How about $900? Sound decent, assuming I can work out the title issue? Otherwise I'll have to take a pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I just picked up a CB450 this morning that's been sitting in an air-conditioned garage since 1978. $600.
You, good sir, suck! Nice find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V65rider View Post
Unfortunately in Ohio if your vehicle doesn't have a title you can't get one.
You can't even get a junk/salvage title I have tried.
This is what I am hearing from most sources.

Quote:
he could get simpson to get him one in va... then sell it to him in ohio for 5bucks then bingo.... title..
I'm willing to try anything if it works, and is technically legal.

post #25 of 42 Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Did you see the link Kristen posted? Can't hurt to give them a call.
International Title Service.

post #26 of 42 Old 02-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

here in VT if its old than 15 yrs i think we dont need a title to register, i think you/we could register it here, get a title for it then sell it into ohio with a title. not sure what the cost of this is, when ever i restore a old bike i just register it and run it. let who ever i sell it to worry bout the title.

post #27 of 42 Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the info and links guys.

On a good note I found a guy within 5 miles of my house selling a whole collection of vintage Honda's. I found 2 CB 360's he has and will sell the pair for $350. Both are 1973 and only one has a title. One is rough, but all there, and the other looks decent. Both kick over but he has had neither one running. In his garage were some really nice CB 360's and Scramblers as well as a couple CB 500/550's and a pair of 750's that look nice and run. He of course isn't selling any of the nicer stuff.

So what say you all?

post #28 of 42 Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

post #29 of 42 Old 02-18-2009, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

That looks like a nice one Bass, but DC is somewhat of a haul from here. I have 2 more to look at today about 30 miles from home. I'm going to get something before the weekend.

post #30 of 42 Old 02-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

What happened with the other 2 CB360's?

What bikes are you checking out today?

post #31 of 42 Old 02-18-2009, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
What happened with the other 2 CB360's?

What bikes are you checking out today?
I called a guy today that also had 2 CB's, but they were sold. I'm thinking I can't really go wrong with the local guy. 2 bikes for $350. I'm not looking to restore either one of these, too time consuming and too expensive. If I was looking for a resto project, I would find a nicer running all original that just needed a bunch of TLC.

I want to take the best parts of both these bikes and do one decent cafe project. All the other stuff I'll sell or get rid of. What I really want is an RD250/350, but there are zero within 200 miles of here.

I'm not seeing a lot of CB360 love in the cafe world, but that is what I have to work with around here. This guy also has a scrambler and a CB500/550? (didn't really look at it) that could also be likely candidates, but I don't want to really go the 500 route. I could probably get the whole lot for $500, but I don't really have the room, so I'm just looking at the 2 360's right now.

Whatchu think?

post #32 of 42 Old 02-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

My personal choice would be the CB500-4 (1972-1973) or the CB550-4 (1974 - 1978). It would make a really cool cafe racer.

post #33 of 42 Old 02-19-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Wow, Mike that's awesome! Sweet ride. Maybe I'll go that route on my second attempt at a cafe bike.

I just got back with my bikes. I got 2 CB 360's and a 360 scrambler and I got a new motor with the deal. I'm hoping to cherry pick all the best parts from these 3 bikes to make a nice cafe racer. It is about 2 degrees out now so it will be a couple of weeks before I get going on this, but right now I'm pretty stoked. I can't wait for a little warmer weather to tear into this. I'll get some pictures of the bikes this weekend.

post #34 of 42 Old 03-07-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

I finally have the time to start my project CB 360. As promised, here are the bikes. I have 3 in all and an almost new motor complete in a box. I figure I can build 1 café bike and maybe 1 restoration project if all goes well.

I spent most of last night just getting the garage in shape to actually do the work. I had to sweep out a ton of dirt and salt from the cars. I also had to move some stuff around, I had bikes packed in pretty tight.

I started on the blue one as it has a title and seems to be in decent shape. The tank is rusted inside, but the green tank is not, and I have another bike out in the shed. That tank is perfect inside. I decided to at least see if I could fire one up before I dumped a bunch of money into them. I hooked a battery up to the blue one, but couldn’t get it to turn over. I jumped the starter relay out and it cranked right up. Unfortunately I have no spark, so that will have to be addressed. I did have spark, good and strong on the orange bike kicking it over, but it has no starter. I don’t know much about old junk like this, but the cases don’t have a starter hole in them even though all the wiring is there for them. I assume this is not the original motor, or electric start was an option, and the harnesses were all standard?

Ok, so I have, a good set of coils and a condenser, so I have spark. Now I needed to get some fuel to the old lump. I took the carbs off and opened them up. They were not really THAT bad, but one of the diaphragms has a tear in it. I will need one of those, which I am hoping to get off one of the other bikes, or ebay.

Sooooo, I have myself convinced that I can make the bike run. I have the carbs cleaned out good enough to get fuel to the old girl. I just need to tear the other bike down and get a good slide/diaphragm and the coils and I should have a winner. I think I’ll wait until I get one running before I go any deeper. I really want to tear it down to the frame and start on the café bike, but I don’t know. What do you guys think?

Anyway, now that I have bored you all to death, here are some photos.

Here is the one I’m starting on.

This one is in the worst shape. Wheels are nice though.

I did some quick cleaning. Looks pretty good under that layer of filth.

This one is in great shape, but check out those freaking ape hangers!

Dirty carbs…. Ugh.

Getting cleaner!

That’s as far as I am right now. I’m heading to ebay to hopefully find a carb slide, or set of carbs. If not, I’ll pull the set off the orange bike. I’m done messing with it today, it is about 60 out. I think I’ll take the RC out for a spin.

post #35 of 42 Old 03-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Let the fun begin.

What the stripped down bike with the yellow rear wheel?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #36 of 42 Old 03-07-2009, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Let the fun begin.

What the stripped down bike with the yellow rear wheel?
Yep, fun, fun, fun...

That is my FZR400 racebike. It isn't stripped down much though. I took the carbs and tank off for storage. Other than that, I just need 10 minutes to slap on the bodywork and it is good to go, IF I still had a way to get it to the track. Damn thieves stole my trailer 2 years ago.

post #37 of 42 Old 03-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase

Ive had my turn with this bike if you get stumped. Not a guru but can make suggestions. Might wanna read my 360 thread for common issues. Good luck, I'm sure you will have fun. FYI, my girl and I were on the 360 just today and it was a blast.

post #38 of 42 Old 03-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase

BTW, there are many places to get help...

for example for parts..
https://www.partsnmore.com/cat_index...360&category=x
also...
You can go here for chat discussion, although they are not super knowledgeable for hard questions.
http://www.vjmog.com/

post #39 of 42 Old 03-08-2009, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Ive had my turn with this bike if you get stumped. Not a guru but can make suggestions. Might wanna read my 360 thread for common issues. Good luck, I'm sure you will have fun. FYI, my girl and I were on the 360 just today and it was a blast.
Quote:
BTW, there are many places to get help...

for example for parts..
https://www.partsnmore.com/cat_index...360&category=x
also...
You can go here for chat discussion, although they are not super knowledgeable for hard questions.
http://www.vjmog.com/
Cool, thanks Simpson. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you. Good to know someone has already been down this path.

post #40 of 42 Old 03-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehren2800 View Post
I finally have the time to start my project CB 360. As promised, here are the bikes. I have 3 in all and an almost new motor complete in a box. I figure I can build 1 café bike and maybe 1 restoration project if all goes well.

I spent most of last night just getting the garage in shape to actually do the work. I had to sweep out a ton of dirt and salt from the cars. I also had to move some stuff around, I had bikes packed in pretty tight.

I started on the blue one as it has a title and seems to be in decent shape. The tank is rusted inside, but the green tank is not, and I have another bike out in the shed. That tank is perfect inside. I decided to at least see if I could fire one up before I dumped a bunch of money into them. I hooked a battery up to the blue one, but couldn’t get it to turn over. I jumped the starter relay out and it cranked right up. Unfortunately I have no spark, so that will have to be addressed. I did have spark, good and strong on the orange bike kicking it over, but it has no starter. I don’t know much about old junk like this, but the cases don’t have a starter hole in them even though all the wiring is there for them. I assume this is not the original motor, or electric start was an option, and the harnesses were all standard?

Ok, so I have, a good set of coils and a condenser, so I have spark. Now I needed to get some fuel to the old lump. I took the carbs off and opened them up. They were not really THAT bad, but one of the diaphragms has a tear in it. I will need one of those, which I am hoping to get off one of the other bikes, or ebay.

Sooooo, I have myself convinced that I can make the bike run. I have the carbs cleaned out good enough to get fuel to the old girl. I just need to tear the other bike down and get a good slide/diaphragm and the coils and I should have a winner. I think I’ll wait until I get one running before I go any deeper. I really want to tear it down to the frame and start on the café bike, but I don’t know. What do you guys think?

Anyway, now that I have bored you all to death, here are some photos.
Not at all boring, lots of good substance in this thread. Get one complete running bike before tackling the cafe project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode