Z1000 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 08-15-2007, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Z1000

Stopped by the local dealership this afternoon to look around. Inspired by Ken, I first sat on a Bandit 1250S, nice bike indeed. Next to it was this machine:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...aki-Z1000a.jpg

Just wanted to get see what others think of this bike, the styling is a love it or hate it sort of thing, and I love it. Wish I could say I took it for a test ride, but that will have to wait for another visit.

Here's a review:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ID=4815&Page=1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Mc 9er

i think its mean lookin,except for the pipe,that kinda seem like a little too much

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #3 of 21 Old 08-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

ah what another $1000 for some after market pipes not much seen how most people do it to any bike

post #4 of 21 Old 08-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

There's allot of hype about that bike, it purports to be the "next big thing" in naked sport bikes. It is based (I think) on a detuned zx-10 engine and is supposed to have more low-end grunt than the zx-10. Of course, a ride would tell you all you need to know but in most parts, the dealers won't let you do that. Try this site, they might have some good info about the z1000:

http://kawiforums.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=55

post #5 of 21 Old 08-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Cornicen

Stock wave like rotors, huh? The pipe is pretty funky, but not much more than the pickle fork thing they used to have going on. The integrated front turn signals are odd and look difficult to remove. I am sure it is faster than the 919 and probably handles better.

Motorusher formally known as DirtySanchez919.
post #6 of 21 Old 08-15-2007, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

I don't mind the turnsignals, they looked good in person. I agree the pipes are funky, especially since two of the four outlets are for show only. I'm sure someone will come out a nice aftermarket exhaust, if they haven't already.

The seat is different too, bright basketball orange, but then again I have a black BMW SUV with the same color interior, so it's all about personal taste.

post #7 of 21 Old 08-16-2007, 03:54 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I guess that's the way the industry will move as far as styling, but to me it looks like something the Blue Power Ranger would have ridden back in the day.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #8 of 21 Old 08-16-2007, 06:16 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I read a write-up in T.W.O. about that bike a couple months ago. hey liked the engine alot. It is the 953 version, if I'm correct. Not the zx10. It is a bit heave, handles a bit slower than the others, but they go on about that engine. But when I looked at their dyno results, it made 106hp, 67 ft lbs torque. Sound fimiliar? That is exactly what a 919 with a PC and a set of Satos does.

post #9 of 21 Old 08-16-2007, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I guess that's the way the industry will move as far as styling, but to me it looks like something the Blue Power Ranger would have ridden back in the day.
I'm thinking he's more of a ZX14 kind of guy, but you're right, definitely favors the radically styled big Kaw's...

post #10 of 21 Old 08-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

IMO, the style is okay. Perhaps with some mods, ie exhaust and radiator fairing it could look like two of my favorite modern nakeds. . .the MV Brutale and the KTM Super Duke R (Motorcyclist's Motorcycle of the Year):

Yet, there's something special with the old style (round headlight treatment) nakedness of the 919 (and Ducati's Monsters).

BTW Scott. . .thanks for the Carbon Fiber Buell Fly Screen!! I'll post pics when the 9er is done. . .still waiting for Pyramid Plastics Carbon Fiber hugger, GSG Carbon Fiber side panels, and smoke colored Galfer brake lines.

post #11 of 21 Old 08-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

The seat on that KTM looks like a board. A heavy case of monkey butt for sure.

post #12 of 21 Old 08-16-2007, 11:03 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

My gut reaction to the HP and Torque figures you saw, Rod is that it seems low. What happened to the other appx 19 HP of the ZX9?

I'm another one who can't get used to the cans. (Man! They're nothing like Sporty's!!!!!!!!!!) Like stated, nothing that a fist full of dollars can't fix.
Rest of the bike is pretty damn cool!

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #13 of 21 Old 08-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Like the look, but I'd have to ditch the pipe ASAP. Fugly.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #14 of 21 Old 08-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

I sat on one at the bottom of a canyon run a few months ago. Just met some dude who was out doing the break-in on his z1000. It's actually a beautiful machine, minus the exhaust.. yuck! The only thing I really remember about my impression from my brief sit on the bike was how it felt like there was nothing in front of the tank. The slope of the tank down and away.. virtually no fairing and low upper triple clamp.. just felt weird. I am sure I would get used to it fast enough. I ride my niner with a tank bag most of the time.. when I ride without it it does feel very similar.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #15 of 21 Old 08-16-2007, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9nineteen View Post
BTW Scott. . .thanks for the Carbon Fiber Buell Fly Screen!! I'll post pics when the 9er is done. . .still waiting for Pyramid Plastics Carbon Fiber hugger, GSG Carbon Fiber side panels, and smoke colored Galfer brake lines.
You're welcome! Can't wait to see pics of your bike once you get all the carbon fiber parts installed. I've been considering the GSG side panels, curious to see what they look like. You'll love the Pyramid hugger, just installed mine last month and it's beautiful! Goes well with the smoke Galfer lines as well, although I still need to figure out a decent rear brake line clamp, as the one supplied with the hugger sucks.

I'm a big fan of the Super Duke, and have always loved Monsters. We just got a Ducati dealership in Indianapolis, looking forward to checking it out this weekend.

post #16 of 21 Old 08-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
... although I still need to figure out a decent rear brake line clamp, as the one supplied with the hugger sucks.
I cut a small piece of vacuum or fuel line about as long as the clamp area on the hugger then split it length wise. Then I sacrificed the OEM rear brake line for the thin outer lining it used and stuffed that over the fuel line and now it fits good and snug in the hugger clamp and still allows just enough movement to be useful.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #17 of 21 Old 08-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Saw one yesterday!

2 > 4
post #18 of 21 Old 08-16-2007, 12:19 PM
WoW

My buddy was thinking about a new bike, he narrowed it down to the kawi and a Duc S2R1000. He ended up going with the Duc, because the dealership let him test ride the Monster, and we had no such luck at the Kawi dealer. Which in my opinion the Kawi is a better bike for less money. I loved the old Z, and the new one is even better. Throw on some aftermarket pipes (which nearly everyone does anyway) and you have one sexy machine.

Find me on all over the web:

www.vwvortex.com- spoolin215
www.honda-tech.com- germanhondaslayer
www.bodybuilding.com- forcefedfreak
www.triumphrat.net- forcefedfreak
post #19 of 21 Old 08-16-2007, 07:38 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Not that it really matters, but I think they're in the ballpark with their dyno #s. The FZ did 137hp with 67 toq, Speed Tri was 117hp with 73 toq, Tuono did 122hp with 67 toq.

Full of fuel, the Kawie weighed in at 234kg or 515lbs. The fizzy weighed 475 lbs, Tuono weighed 451. The other day, with the fuel light flickering my 919 weighed 450.

post #20 of 21 Old 09-07-2007, 11:01 PM

My 06 Z is rated at 126 hp and the 07 is supposed to have more. The engine is a bored and stroked ZX-9 motor to make total displacement 953 cc.

Ron

post #21 of 21 Old 09-07-2007, 11:04 PM

And just because I like whoring her around, Here's my baby

Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode